Author Topic: Fidel Castro will be forever linked to baseball - Newsday  (Read 1244 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Fidel Castro will be forever linked to baseball - Newsday
« on: November 27, 2016, 09:47:33 pm »
Just in case, folks didn't know it, Castro was quite a baseball player.  Apparently, the article says the long fabled story that he was scouted by MLB is false.

Fidel Castro will be forever linked to baseball

Fidel Castro, who died Friday at 90, was an avid baseball fan and fancied himself as a possible major-leaguer.

Reports of his baseball prowess are conflicting, but the former dictator was named the country’s best schoolboy athlete as a basketball player in Cuba’s capital city, Havana, according to The Associated Press.

Former major league third baseman Don Hoak wrote a 1964 Sport magazine article, “The Day I Batted Against Castro,” about facing the young pitcher in early 1950s Cuba. Castro was the subject of a 2006 novel by Tim Wendel, “Castro’s Curveball.” The book’s character encounters Castro pitching in the winter league in 1947.

Read More At: http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/fidel-castro-will-be-forever-linked-to-baseball-1.12674022

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Fidel Castro will be forever linked to baseball - Newsday
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 09:52:04 pm »
We all know the Jason Voorhees who slaughtered hundreds of teenagers but how many know the Jason Voorhees who loved his mamma?  :silly:

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:46:48 am by Cripplecreek »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 04:20:20 am »
Shame that Don Hoak's account never happened. (It's been debunked for years.) Though he did
have the sort-of appropriate name for a hoaxer.

(Hoak is best remembered for the throwing error that spoiled Harvey Haddix's extra-innings
perfect game bid in 1959.)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 05:30:37 am »
Too bad Castro didn't make it as a major league pitcher. Would have spared Cuba and the world a lot of misery. Similarly, it's too bad someone didn't proclaim Hitler's pedestrian watercolors great art. He really wanted to be a great artist.
Which makes me wonder how many actual artists and athletes would have been ruthless, murdering  tyrants if they hadn't made it as artists or athletes.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 06:53:00 am »
Too bad Castro didn't make it as a major league pitcher. Would have spared Cuba and the world a lot of misery.

He didn't even make it as a college ballplayer. He was a law student when he flunked his tryout for the baseball
varsity. Quick---how many law students become failed ballplayers who break entire countries?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 09:57:09 am »
Too bad Castro didn't make it as a major league pitcher. Would have spared Cuba and the world a lot of misery. Similarly, it's too bad someone didn't proclaim Hitler's pedestrian watercolors great art. He really wanted to be a great artist.
Which makes me wonder how many actual artists and athletes would have been ruthless, murdering  tyrants if they hadn't made it as artists or athletes.

I was thinking the same thing about Hitler. Supposedly Stalin wanted to be a priest.
 goopo
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 05:38:49 pm »
I was thinking the same thing about Hitler. Supposedly Stalin wanted to be a priest.
 goopo
Father Stalin during confession: "Your penance will be to say five Our Fathers, Five Hail Marys, and Ten Years in the gulag."