Author Topic: What your choice of smartphone says about you  (Read 5604 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: What your choice of smartphone says about you
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2016, 02:19:07 am »
I have neither, and probably have no personality, as well.  :whistle:
Ditto.... :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2016, 02:20:34 am »
I have neither. I am missing not a thing.
Oh, I am. I'm missing all those idiot drivers messing with their phones while going down the road. Some days, it takes a lot of effort.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2016, 02:21:43 am »
Landline and flip phone...
Same here.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2016, 02:24:05 am »
Talk about out of the loop.  AT&T just notified my hubby that his cell phone is so old it will not longer be supported.  He was told to go to the AT&T store for a free upgrade.  He did, and now he has an upgraded phone......a flip phone.  Free from AT&T and the minutes are free too.
I still have my old analog bag phone somewhere. It worked better than any digital phone for the first few years they had those (before they made me get a digital phone).

C S Lewis

geronl

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2016, 02:30:31 am »
Apparently Huwei is now the largest seller of Android cell phones, not Samsung

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2016, 02:38:12 am »
iPhone. Big Apple fan boy and stock holder. However I think the magic with Apple has gone since Steve Jobs died.

Macs use to be cool machines and I loved them. To me, they had a personality that windows didn't.

The new machines and computers just don't seem magical anymore.

My daughter and youngest son had Iphones since they first came out. My daughter is still hooked on them. My son was all done with Apple after his Iphone 6s plus got old and he switched to androids. He wanted to give his old phone to his Mom, but it had the touch disease and Apple refused to fix it. We sent it off to be fixed($149.00 ouch). Working fine now. So my daughter and wife are on Iphones. Me and my 2 sons are on androids. Me and my oldest son have always had androids. My wife's previous phone was a flip phone, so she's in a learning curve at the moment.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 02:42:32 am by Elderberry »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2016, 02:41:03 am »
Oh, I am. I'm missing all those idiot drivers messing with their phones while going down the road. Some days, it takes a lot of effort.

I sometimes wish I had my old Dodge pickup. It was a beast. I wouldn't be missing them. heh heh heh
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2016, 02:47:05 am »
I sometimes wish I had my old Dodge pickup. It was a beast. I wouldn't be missing them. heh heh heh
My ole fishin buddy's old pickup had a front bumper welded up out of 10 inch channel. He sure looked forward to fools pulling out in front of him.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2016, 03:01:42 am »
My ole fishin buddy's old pickup had a front bumper welded up out of 10 inch channel. He sure looked forward to fools pulling out in front of him.

In Idaho Falls the two main  east/west cross town roads are 17th street and Sunnyside. I try to stay off those. The wife and I were on Sunnyside though one day and this woman was on her phone. We had to sit through two green lights before the guy in front of me got out and went up to her car and offered to shove her phone up her butt. He was really ticked and used much more colorful language.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Silver Pines

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2016, 03:33:47 am »
Well, I guess mine says that I didn't care about having a smartphone, but now that I have one I'm probably an iPhone fan for life.  It's so nice to hop online while you wait for a pot to boil, or to check a restaurant menu when you're out and trying to decide where to eat.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2016, 04:29:48 am »

HTC E8; my third HTC smartphone. (larger screen like an IPhone 6 but not 6 plus)

To keep the cost of smartphones down, purchase "last year's" model. If possible get the version for lower income regions of the world.

For HTC last year it meant E8 and for Samsung it means J3, at present.

That strategy gives you features equal to the top of the line about a year ago.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2016, 04:46:40 am »
That's 2G of data with the plan and an extra 1G for auto-payment. And the phone has Wi-Fi.

You missed the point... The minute I have data, the kids will be texting me instead of calling me... I prefer the latter...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2016, 04:55:20 am »
I have an '87, but it's in nice enough shape I don't want to ding it up.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2016, 04:55:25 am »
Land line. Flip phone that is always in the car connected through Bluetooth to the car's phone interface. It never leaves the car.

No Facebook account.

No Twitter account.

No LinkedIn account.

My only active "social" account is here at TBR. I have one on TOS but I abandoned it earlier this year after 18 years.

Does an Amazon Prime account count for something?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2016, 04:56:28 am »
I have a piece of 4 inch drill pipe, maybe I should make a new bumper for the old FJ-40.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2016, 05:01:07 am »
Land line. Flip phone that is always in the car connected through Bluetooth to the car's phone interface. It never leaves the car.

No Facebook account.

No Twitter account.

No LinkedIn account.

My only active "social" account is here at TBR. I have one on TOS but I abandoned it earlier this year after 18 years.

Does an Amazon Prime account count for something?
Free shipping?

No Facebook, I have a twitter account, but they asked me in a pop-up window "What are you doing?" as I signed up, and I thought "Good question!" and never used it. TOS is active, but I even cleaned off my about page. Too many grand and great grandkids and aging relatives to leave the phone anywhere. Landline in case of blizzards or tornadoes (cables are buried here).

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2016, 05:02:43 am »
I have an '87, but it's in nice enough shape I don't want to ding it up.

Mine's a 78 chevy 1/2T heavy with a 6" kit on 13x36's... Just got a nice early 80's body for it, and I think I have a rolled 1T 4x4 to grab the diffs out of...  By the time I am done this spring, it'll be a 1T heavy, and all I'll be looking for is a porker for it... I probably will have that truck till I die.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:03:11 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2016, 05:13:45 am »
Mine's a 78 chevy 1/2T heavy with a 6" kit on 13x36's... Just got a nice early 80's body for it, and I think I have a rolled 1T 4x4 to grab the diffs out of...  By the time I am done this spring, it'll be a 1T heavy, and all I'll be looking for is a porker for it... I probably will have that truck till I die.
It's just a 2WD 1/2 ton with a slant six. Not sure whether it is on the second or third time around the odometer, it just turned zeroes. The previous owner was an acquaintance who had an unfortunate aneurysm. I bought the truck from his brother who had no use for it.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2016, 05:31:34 am »
It's just a 2WD 1/2 ton with a slant six. Not sure whether it is on the second or third time around the odometer, it just turned zeroes. The previous owner was an acquaintance who had an unfortunate aneurysm. I bought the truck from his brother who had no use for it.

It's one to put one together with, if it's straight... Although a lot harder after 85... pretty confusing all the stuff you have to know to swap it up like I am going to... Worth it in my case. No computers, nothing but analog... And by the time I'm done, there ain't a new truck will do what this one will... And I can fix it up in the sticks with baling wire and duct tape... Can't beat that with a stick.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2016, 05:35:31 am »
It's one to put one together with, if it's straight... Although a lot harder after 85... pretty confusing all the stuff you have to know to swap it up like I am going to... Worth it in my case. No computers, nothing but analog... And by the time I'm done, there ain't a new truck will do what this one will... And I can fix it up in the sticks with baling wire and duct tape... Can't beat that with a stick.
I agree. No, the one to monkey with is the '75 FJ40, the running gear is all there, the 327 needs to be freshened up, new skins, and other odds and ends done before putting it back on the road. It will have to wait for spring, though. In the meantime the Suburban gets me around pretty well when I'm not hauling anything.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2016, 05:43:35 am »
I agree. No, the one to monkey with is the '75 FJ40, the running gear is all there, the 327 needs to be freshened up, new skins, and other odds and ends done before putting it back on the road. It will have to wait for spring, though. In the meantime the Suburban gets me around pretty well when I'm not hauling anything.

I can get at an old CJ5 - I did the Chevy conversion on it, back in the day... Put in a new pan and corners too...It's all still together - The guy blew the motor up 5 years after the resto, and it's been sitting in the barn ever since. I reckon it's be fun to have, if I can get where I can get at it... One thing at a time. I need the pickup more than anything, then my old man's old trailer, that's sitting down in Ronan with a busted tongue... After that, mebbe the CJ.

Would be nice to get the shop up first - I ain't ever had it before, but I am getting old enough that crawling around in the gravel just ain't all that appetizing anymore...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:44:08 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2016, 05:48:55 am »
I can get at an old CJ5 - I did the Chevy conversion on it, back in the day... Put in a new pan and corners too...It's all still together - The guy blew the motor up 5 years after the resto, and it's been sitting in the barn ever since. I reckon it's be fun to have, if I can get where I can get at it... One thing at a time. I need the pickup more than anything, then my old man's old trailer, that's sitting down in Ronan with a busted tongue... After that, mebbe the CJ.

Would be nice to get the shop up first - I ain't ever had it before, but I am getting old enough that crawling around in the gravel just ain't all that appetizing anymore...
Well, there's gravel for a few months out of the year, then mud, frozen mud, and snow, not much time to pull wrenches outside...

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2016, 05:55:57 am »
Well, there's gravel for a few months out of the year, then mud, frozen mud, and snow, not much time to pull wrenches outside...

I have done it before... While I was married, I'd just stand in a washtub of ice and water and have her dump snow down my neck till I had my fill... That would remove such a foolish notion from my head (works for ice fishing too, btw)... Another very good reason to get a hold on another woman... But for now, I dunno if the snow is gonna stop me...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:58:22 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2016, 06:12:08 am »
I have done it before... While I was married, I'd just stand in a washtub of ice and water and have her dump snow down my neck till I had my fill... That would remove such a foolish notion from my head (works for ice fishing too, btw)... Another very good reason to get a hold on another woman... But for now, I dunno if the snow is gonna stop me...
I changed out a frost plug heater on that 327 many moons ago. -32 outside, and it was so cold I ground some considerable meat off a couple of knuckles fishing for the crossbar I dropped in the water jacket. I got 'er done, but it was really miserable work. The gal I was dating at the time didn't have any problems with me doing that. Needless to say, that didn't work out, but I still have that old Landcruiser.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 06:12:29 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2016, 07:16:40 am »
The gal I was dating at the time didn't have any problems with me doing that. Needless to say, that didn't work out, but I still have that old Landcruiser.

Now see, a good woman would roll her eyes at your foolishness, and invite you back under the bearskin as it were - She'd have a means to keep you busy all winter long... Unless that freeze plug was for her vehicle, I suppose. :)