Author Topic: Theory that challenges Einstein's physics could soon be put to the test  (Read 1353 times)

rangerrebew

Theory that challenges Einstein's physics could soon be put to the test

Date:
    November 25, 2016
Source:
    Imperial College London
Summary:
    Scientists behind a theory that the speed of light is variable -- and not constant as Einstein suggested -- have made a prediction that could be tested.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161125084229.htm
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 04:47:43 pm by rangerrebew »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Theory that challenges Einstein's physics could soon be put to the test
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 11:53:10 am »
@LateForLunch Check this out!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 07:34:08 am »
Damned interesting.

The notion that "C" is variable has been around for a long time but this is the first time I remember physicists claiming that they can test to confirm it with astronomical data.

Of course, if they do get a discrepancy, what next? They will have to come up with a correlate method to CONFIRM that discrepancy so they know it's not an anomaly of some other principles at work. So I doubt anything conclusive will result from this specific measurement.

Every time C has been measured through interferometry  or other means, it always works out to the limits of technology. 

A lot depends on it remaining consistent - values of most of the basic features of the universe - total age of the universe and everything in it, total mass, total energy even the parameters of fundamental forces are at stake. If it can be variable, much of that goes out the window and they have to consider starting over. They'd have to throw out all calculated values about distance of objects using Cepheid variable stars, because they are too far away (old) to be sure that C was consistent in the time the light started toward us (more than 12 billion years ago).

Just to forestall any misconceptions about "C" - it refers to the speed of light IN A VACUUM. The speed of light can slow considerably depending on the medium in which it travels. Photons can be slowed to immobility by artificial means such a super-cold laser-beam interference chambers. When a particle like an electron exceeds the speed of light in a dielectric medium (heavy water for instance) it generates a blue glow (as seen in nuclear piles), but the actual speed of light is defined as never MORE than 186K miles per second.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 07:35:54 am by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Online DB

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 08:16:22 am »
Just goes to show there is no such thing as "settled" science and consensus means zip...

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 06:45:59 pm »
Just goes to show there is no such thing as "settled" science and consensus means zip...

Well it depends on what science is "settled"..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 07:51:10 pm »

Well it depends on what science is "settled"..
Yes, a consensus can be about whether a theory is viable. The theories about the fundamental forces, molecules, other principles of hard science have all been validated by observations which the theory predicts. That's why AGW doesn't even qualify as a theory - it never accurately predicts observable data.
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 07:54:09 pm »

Science by definition, is not settled. It is and should always be tested and validated (ie the Scientific method).

If someone stands up and says it is settled and can't be questioned, it crosses the line to faith, not science.

The closest we can have to 'settled' in science is a theory or law because we can measure and calculate against them, but even in science they are always questioned, challenged, and tested to learn more.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 03:31:47 am »
Science by definition, is not settled. It is and should always be tested and validated (ie the Scientific method).

If someone stands up and says it is settled and can't be questioned, it crosses the line to faith, not science.

The closest we can have to 'settled' in science is a theory or law because we can measure and calculate against them, but even in science they are always questioned, challenged, and tested to learn more.
Precisely. Cross tha line it becomes dogma. My Karma ran over my Dogma long ago.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 03:41:46 am »
Seems to me that although the speed of light is constant, our measurements of it vary and are influenced by gravity and time.  :shrug:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 03:55:45 am »
Seems to me that although the speed of light is constant, our measurements of it vary and are influenced by gravity and time.  :shrug:

That seems much more likely to me!  The fact of the matter is that we cannot even measure sea surface temperatures accurately yet!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 05:27:45 pm »

You aren't possibly referring to the theories put forth by St. Algore, are you? :silly: