Author Topic: New drug limits and then repairs brain damage in stroke  (Read 572 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
New drug limits and then repairs brain damage in stroke
« on: November 26, 2016, 01:31:31 pm »
Researchers at The University of Manchester have discovered that a potential new drug reduces the number of brain cells destroyed by stroke and then helps to repair the damage.

A reduction in blood flow to the brain caused by stroke is a major cause of death and disability, and there are few effective treatments.

A team of scientists at The University of Manchester has now found that a potential new stroke drug not only works in rodents by limiting the death of existing brain cells but also by promoting the birth of new neurones (so-called neurogenesis).

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-11-drug-limits-brain.html#nRlv
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: New drug limits and then repairs brain damage in stroke
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 10:43:23 pm »
This is really exciting news. I think the next 20 years is going to be a renaissance in medical science. Advanced drugs like this, gene therapy, and I suspect some new tools to fight contagion.

My dad suffered a stroke. He got most of it back.  My uncle, his oldest brother, had one in his sixties and is now in his eighties. Maybe this is too late for him, but for other stroke sufferers any improvement would be a Godsend.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley