Author Topic: A Black Aaron Burr? What if the Hamilton Casting Trend Catches On?  (Read 1343 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: AMERICAN THINKER

URL: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/11/what_if_the_emhamiltonem_casting_trend_catches_on.html

By Simon de Hundehutte

Michelle Obama's bold exclamation that her husband was going to "change our traditions, our history," is perhaps what helped the Broadway musical Hamilton ring such happy notes into the ears of audiences and critics alike. I mean, does it really matter that in real life Aaron Burr wasn't dark-skinned, or that Alexander Hamilton wasn't Puerto Rican, or that other "old white guys" weren't really white?

And now, with the musical's tremendous success, what if the trend to play against type and to turn history and truth on its ear were to continue?

Three ideas are being offered here (and perhaps American Thinker readers can conjure up others) that could provide Broadway with a huge payday if these shows ever made it to the Great White Way:

Jefferson 300: Imagine Thomas Jefferson and other Founding Fathers portrayed by actors 300 pounds or more (and the kicker: Ben Franklin is played by a short, skinny, black guy).

The Color Purple (Sort of): Hopi, Iroquois, Cheyenne, and other Native Americans help open our eyes to the plight of "people of color" like no African-American cast ever could.

Affirmative Action -- The Musical: Featuring an all-white cast.

Well, that's a start. And within five years we will probably be graced with a boffo new musical based on the man (the legend?) who saved America from George W. Bush: Obama -- Yes He Did!

I just hope the producers will be bold enough to cast Rachel Dolezal in the title role.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: A Black Aaron Burr? What if the Hamilton Casting Trend Catches On?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 01:10:24 pm »
I don't care what color the actors are. A good actor is a good actor and likewise for bad actors. If a black man can play George Washington convincingly and with respect towards GW then that's fine by me.

Will be odd to figure out how to approach the slavery issue though.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 02:40:19 pm »
I don't care what color the actors are. A good actor is a good actor and likewise for bad actors. If a black man can play George Washington convincingly and with respect towards GW then that's fine by me.

Will be odd to figure out how to approach the slavery issue though.

OK I'll wait for a great White/Chinese/Korean actor to play Martin Luther King Jr.....
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 02:40:56 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 02:41:56 pm »
OK I'll wait for a great White/Chinese/Korean actor to play Martin Luther King Jr.....

Wouldn't bother me. The black media may get angry I guess?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 02:54:56 am »

Returning soon to a stage near you!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

geronl

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 03:44:21 am »
I don't think it's actually new