Author Topic: ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Casts Michelle Yeoh In Captain Role  (Read 4794 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Casts Michelle Yeoh In Captain Role
« on: November 24, 2016, 03:08:41 am »
Looks to be a good choice. She is quite an actress.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon‘s Michelle Yeoh is heading into the final frontier with Star Trek: Discovery. Sources confirm to Deadline that the upcoming CBS All Access iteration of the fabled franchise will see Yeoh playing a Starfleet Captain.....

http://deadline.com/2016/11/star-trek-discovery-michelle-yeoh-cast-captain-1201859554/

Offline kevindavis007

Re: ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Casts Michelle Yeoh In Captain Role
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 06:48:08 pm »
I agree good choice.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

geronl

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 06:49:49 pm »
STD: Going Deep!

geronl

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 06:50:54 pm »
She won't Captain the main ship, apparently

geronl

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 06:52:47 pm »
It will be extremely PC, of course

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 07:28:09 pm »
Looks to be a good choice. She is quite an actress.

I just hope she doesn't over compensate like Janeway.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 07:57:39 pm »

I was not a fan of Janeway.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 08:12:31 pm »

Janeway was annoying. That whole series was annoying. I binge watched a couple of seasons on hulu, and I was amazed by how many shuttle craft they kept losing. I mean they are 70,000 light years from replacements and they are losing a shuttle every episode. How are they replacing them? We will never know.

Apparently, from what I have read, the character of Janeway became some kind of Lesbian icon. And, I guess, you can't believe what you read, but the actress herself who played Janeway was lesbian, as was the actress who played 7of9. I have no way of knowing if any of that is true.

The most annoying part of the Janeway character for me was the 'whisper voice'. Whenever she was saying something 'important', she would whisper. When she was angry, she went into her nasally Edward G. Robinson/Katherine Hepburn voice. Very annoying.

No Voyager for me, of all the Star Trek permutations, Voyager was my least favorite.

BTW, I am currently watching SG1 on hulu, and it really is a good show. I watched it off and on several years ago and thought it was Ok. But now, watching the episodes in order and back to back, I am digging it. I am at Season 6 Episode 1 now, but I really have to say. I am enjoying the flow of the series. I like it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 08:20:43 pm by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 08:21:50 pm »
@240B, I don't know about Janeway's character, but 7of9's story is fascinating.  If I remember correctly, her husband was the Republican candidate in Illinois whose divorce records* were released at such a time in the election that he couldn't be replaced, and then the Democrat candidate was ousted because of a morals issue and boom!  Barack 0bama was put in his place and won the senatorial election, unchallenged.

*Something to do with attending sex clubs.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 08:22:19 pm »

Apparently, from what I have read, the character of Janeway became some kind of Lesbian icon. And, I guess, you can't believe what you read, but the actress herself who played Janeway was lesbian, as was the actress who played 7of9. I have no way of knowing if any of that is true.

I've never read about Kate Mulgrew being lesbian. Jeri Ryan who played 7of9 was married to republican Jack Ryan and their divorce was based at least in part on the fact that she wasn't interested in being a swinger.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 08:37:17 pm »

yeah, well, that is typical. Homosexuals claim that everybody today and everybody in history was a homosexual. I assume that applies here. That is why I tended toward not believing the hype. But, I can see why lesbians would glom onto the character of Janeway and 7of9. They were both strong, dominant, intelligent, icons for women.

Jack Ryan is a fool to give up such a beautiful woman. As for Kate Mulgrew, do not care if she is lesbian or not. I just didn't like her character or her style of acting. But that's just me. Who cares?

geronl

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 09:27:54 pm »

She is not to be the Captain of the title ship, just a different vessel. It's a season-long story arc

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 08:39:10 am »

Same here.  Actual favorite was Archer.  ST-Enterprise was way underrated IMO.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 04:52:25 pm »

I agree. I recently finished watch the whole show on hulu, all seasons and episodes in order back to back. Have a Roku TV.
When I finished, it felt just like I had read a long novel about the creation of the UFoP. And I enjoyed it very much.

Enterprise was an underrated series IMO.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 10:14:41 pm »
Kate Mulgrew married a local Ohio pol, Tim Hagen, who ran for governor years back.  Nice enough guy for a lefty.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 12:11:10 am »

My favorite ST Captain's are
1. Kirk / Archer
2. Sisko
3. Piccard
4. Janeway

As for Enterprise, yes it is underrated. Enterprise was something that Star Trek should be about.. Not Voyager (the weakest of the franchise).

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 12:12:08 am »

I agree. I recently finished watch the whole show on hulu, all seasons and episodes in order back to back. Have a Roku TV.
When I finished, it felt just like I had read a long novel about the creation of the UFoP. And I enjoyed it very much.

Enterprise was an underrated series IMO.

I think what killed Enterprise was Trek Fatigue..

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 12:15:43 am »

Janeway was annoying. That whole series was annoying. I binge watched a couple of seasons on hulu, and I was amazed by how many shuttle craft they kept losing. I mean they are 70,000 light years from replacements and they are losing a shuttle every episode. How are they replacing them? We will never know.

The most annoying part of the Janeway character for me was the 'whisper voice'. Whenever she was saying something 'important', she would whisper. When she was angry, she went into her nasally Edward G. Robinson/Katherine Hepburn voice. Very annoying.

No Voyager for me, of all the Star Trek permutations, Voyager was my least favorite.

BTW, I am currently watching SG1 on hulu, and it really is a good show. I watched it off and on several years ago and thought it was Ok. But now, watching the episodes in order and back to back, I am digging it. I am at Season 6 Episode 1 now, but I really have to say. I am enjoying the flow of the series. I like it.

Voyager killed Trek for me (with the exception of Enterprise).

You will enjoy SG1 and you should check out SGU.. When you are done with SG1.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2016, 12:18:47 am »

My favorite ST Captain's are
1. Kirk / Archer
2. Sisko
3. Piccard
4. Janeway

As for Enterprise, yes it is underrated. Enterprise was something that Star Trek should be about.. Not Voyager (the weakest of the franchise).

There are some continuity issues with the original series.

Just this morning I watched "This Side of Paradise" and noticed that Kirk and Spock were speaking of Spock's parents in the past tense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Side_of_Paradise_(Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series)

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2016, 12:42:28 am »
There are some continuity issues with the original series.

Just this morning I watched "This Side of Paradise" and noticed that Kirk and Spock were speaking of Spock's parents in the past tense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Side_of_Paradise_(Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series)

I think that is to be expected..

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 12:50:24 am »

Amen.  In fact wasn't Vulcan destroyed in this reboot?  The writers / producers have jacked with the space time continuum so much that  even the most devoted Trekees can't keep up.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 12:56:52 am »

Kinda like Star Fleet vs the United Federation of Planets.

By the time The next generation came around Sarek is an ambassador and his wife is Spock's stepmother (which made sense due to the shorter human life span.)

Of course the recent set of movies screw with the continuity again and they kill Spock's mother during Spock's first tour on the Enterprise.

Deep Space 9 actually made a bit of a joke out of the continuity issue when they (Along with Worf) went back in time to the Tribbles episode and noticed that the Klingons didn't look like Worf.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2016, 01:01:12 am »
Amen.  In fact wasn't Vulcan destroyed in this reboot?  The writers / producers have jacked with the space time continuum so much that  even the most devoted Trekees can't keep up.

Dr Who on the other hand has done an amazing job of holding continuity together or at least explaining anomalies for more than 50 years of the show.

geronl

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2016, 01:03:16 am »
Dr Who on the other hand has done an amazing job of holding continuity together or at least explaining anomalies for more than 50 years of the show.

@catfish1957 That is true. Look at all the crap Dr Who had to grow through at the end of last season.