Author Topic: Personal Cloud Server Question  (Read 1862 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Personal Cloud Server Question
« on: November 08, 2016, 01:28:39 am »
Does anyone have experience setting up a personal cloud server? I'm thinking of an option to host my own cloud server which I can access no matter where I'm at, virtually download photos from shoots (camera via USB to phone to server) and then give clients instant access.

I'm considering putting this together myself as I have several dozen TB of storage and many extra PCs sitting around.

Realistic or a waste considering the low cost of virtual cloud server options?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Personal Cloud Server Question
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 01:30:04 am »
Does anyone have experience setting up a personal cloud server? I'm thinking of an option to host my own cloud server which I can access no matter where I'm at, virtually download photos from shoots (camera via USB to phone to server) and then give clients instant access.

I'm considering putting this together myself as I have several dozen TB of storage and many extra PCs sitting around.

I have a bunch on aws cost me nothing until I log in and start them up.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:30:34 am by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 02:02:41 am »

I have a bunch on aws cost me nothing until I log in and start them up.

:thumbsup:

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 02:13:38 am »
If you are just looking to host files, you don't need a server. You can put files up to a certain amount on DropBox.

If you are exceeding the amount DropBox will let you do for free, you STILL don't need a server if you just want a place to drop files. Look into something called an "S3 bucket" on Amazon.

EDIT

Let me expand my answer. Servers are for running software. Do you need to run software or just store files?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:15:04 am by bolobaby »
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 02:25:50 am »

AbaraXas,

If you are looking for a service to allow you to share images with your clients, there are plenty.  Expect something in the $10-15/month range.  Add $10-15/month for each occurance of "virtual" or "cloud" in the ads (aka huge waste of money).

Start by looking at Dropbox.  I'm not saying to go with them, but that's a good place to start your search.

If by "client" you mean someone who could sue you if you pulled a HRC with their data, I'd advise against rolling your own server.  IANAL, YMMV, IANJP.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.