Author Topic: President Obama Awards Presidential Medal of Freedom to Robert de Niro, Diana Ross and More  (Read 5840 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Maya Rhodan
Time
November 22, 2016

President Obama hosted his last Presidential Medal of Freedom Ceremony on Tuesday, honoring 21 luminaries for their contributions to the U.S.

The ceremony was as diverse as it was star-studded with Michael Jordan, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro lining a stage in the East Room of the White House alongside architect Frank Gehry, computer scientist Margaret Hamilton, and sculpture and landscape artist Maya Lin. President Obama seemed to get a kick out of awarding what he called a “really good class” of recipients on Tuesday afternoon, cracking jokes about Jordan who he called “more than a meme” and Abdul-Jabbar’s performance in the cult-classic Airplane.
More, including full list

Offline Frank Cannon

The Presidential Medal of Freedom is the political equivalent of a Daytime Emmy. Completely worthless because it is passed out to a who cares list of sycophants.

Offline montanajoe

The Presidential Medal of Freedom is the political equivalent of a Daytime Emmy. Completely worthless because it is passed out to a who cares list of sycophants.

Well a plurality of the American electorate awarded the presidency to a sycophant as the equivalent of a Daytime Emmy... :shrug:

Online mountaineer

Wednesday, November 23, 2016
The Goose Is Already Cooked

I would be remiss if I didn’t report on the Won’s last Presidential Medal of Freedom Awards show. The last, like the first, was all about Obama:

"Everybody on this stage has touched me in a very powerful, very personal way.These are folks who have helped make me who I am.”
How would you like to put that on your resume?
    Perhaps most striking about Tuesday’s ceremony is that nine of the 20 awards (45 percent) recognize actors, artists, or musicians — a category that represents only 17 percent of total Medal recipients to date…[ed. in case you’re counting- and who isn’t?] The ceremony was as diverse as it was star-studded – WaPo
Well of course it was; diversity is what this administration is best known for! Some of this year’s diverse recipients include people from the field of entertainment: Lorne Michaels, Tom Hanks, Robert Redford, Robert DeNiro, Ellen DeGeneres and Cicely Tyson, Bruce Springsteen and Diana Ross; sports: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Jordan and big business: Bill and Melinda Gates. Gay, straight, black, white, male, female, smart and dumb – I think that checks almost all the boxes.

If this feels like déjà vu it’s because many of these recipients have previously been recipients of the Obama White House prestigious Kennedy Center Honors. We’re diverse butt we’re not THAT diverse.

And as far as DeNiro is concerned, as you may recall he was not exactly a Donald Trump supporter, saying he was  "blatantly stupid," a "pig" and a "bullshit artist" who he’d like to punch in the face. He’s tempered his position somewhat saying “now he’s president-elect and I just want to see what he’s going to do." I guess that means he won’t be moving to Canada right away.

Anyway, stay tuned, today is official Turkey Pardon day. No, not Bill and Hillary, real turkeys – like Caramel and  Popcorn.   ...

More, including photos,  at Michelle Obama's Mirror.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

geronl

Medal of Freedom... to celebrities....

give me a break

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Medal of Freedom... to celebrities....

give me a break

Republican Presidents have picked celebrities too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Presidential_Medal_of_Freedom_recipients

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Obama Hands Out Medals of Freedom to Major Democratic Donors, Supporters: Honorees include host of celebrities who have supported outgoing president and his allies

Morgan Chalfant
The Washington Free Beacon
November 21, 2016

...Eleven of the honorees have made contributions to Democratic committees or campaigns, including some that directly supported Obama, according to an analysis of Federal Election Commission records by the Washington Free Beacon. Twelve of the individuals have publicly backed Obama or his policies...
More

Offline skeeter

Its just Obama making sure he continues to be feted by all the cool people after he leaves office.

Online mountaineer

Its just Obama making sure he continues to be feted by all the cool people after he leaves office.
He's the quintessential wannabe, the dork who thinks the cool kids' coolness will rub off on him.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
He's the quintessential wannabe, the dork who thinks the cool kids' coolness will rub off on him.

They finally found a use for that fruitcake that has been circulating for centuries. They will use it for the official bust of obama. All they have to do is mount it to the stand and put an obama sticker on it.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

geronl