Author Topic: Creepy new website makes its monitoring of your online behaviour visible  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Matthew Dunn

news.com.au

IF YOU think you are not being analysed while browsing websites, it could be time to reconsider.

A creepy new website called clickclickclick has been developed to demonstrate how our online behaviour is continuously measured.

Dutch media company VPRO and Amsterdam based interactive design company Studio Moniker are the masterminds behind the site, which observes and comments on your behaviour in great detail.

The website — which is not harmful to your computer — contains nothing but a white screen and a large green button.

From the minute you visit the website, it begins detailing your actions on the screen in real-time...

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/security/creepy-new-website-makes-its-monitoring-of-your-online-behaviour-visible/news-story/3e60aa78393affd8e89a6692dbbc426f

Offline endicom

Re: Creepy new website makes its monitoring of your online behaviour visible
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 01:14:10 am »
Well, now I'm up to date on the Kardashians.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 01:28:38 am »
Well, now I'm up to date on the Kardashians.

Sorry about that!

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 01:44:43 am »
Yeah, it's called google.  Lots of people have heard of it, some even use it, along with facebooked, twitter and trolltrace.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 01:55:23 am »
It uses a lot of very heavy javascript, which allows it to read everything, such as the position of the cursor.  One interesting little tidbit is that it doesn't seem able to tell when you've moved to another window and its window has lost focus.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 02:10:01 am »
It uses a lot of very heavy javascript, which allows it to read everything, such as the position of the cursor.  One interesting little tidbit is that it doesn't seem able to tell when you've moved to another window and its window has lost focus.

Ahh, no wonder my script blocker said 'oh, hell no!' ... Even after I asked it to precisely allow the big green button.
Dare I say, with scripting blocked, other than at trusted sites, with google apis permanently banned, and no facebook, they are likely starving even still, for info pertaining to this particular browser...

Adding to that, when I need to do something I shouldn't... It is from a linux based laptop, with a mac addy spoofer, through an onion router, from a coffeshop, motel parking lot, or stumbled upon open wiffy connection somewhere...

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 02:12:50 am »
Ahh, no wonder my script blocker said 'oh, hell no!' ... Even after I asked it to precisely allow the big green button.
Dare I say, with scripting blocked, other than at trusted sites, with google apis permanently banned, and no facebook, they are likely starving even still, for info pertaining to this particular browser...

Adding to that, when I need to do something I shouldn't... It is from a linux based laptop, with a mac addy spoofer, through an onion router, from a coffeshop, motel parking lot, or stumbled upon open wiffy connection somewhere...

:thumbsup:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 03:12:58 am »

I keep my browser cranked down, partially for privacy but also because I just don't know how people can get anything done with windows popping up all over the place wanting you to "punch the monkey"[1].

I also have a separate user on my box whose shell is firefox for the times when I want to visit the very few sites where I need to allow js, cookies, etc. A simple `ssh webuser@localhost` and I can temporarily use the web like a normal person, but not allow access to my real home directory/etc.  Add an occasional wipe of /home/webuser and a restore from known state (basically just restoring browser settings).  One of these days I probably should create a creditunionuser account so that any online banking is done completely isolated.

[1] If you've been using the internet for quite awhile, you'll probably recognize the reference to one of the early annoying ads.  If not, don't assume.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 03:21:16 am »
What I find amusing is the number of non technical people that actually go to sites such as this. I guess that is why so many are lind up to claim their winnings in the Nigerian lottery..

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 03:37:34 am »
I keep my browser cranked down, partially for privacy but also because I just don't know how people can get anything done with windows popping up all over the place wanting you to "punch the monkey"[1].

I also have a separate user on my box whose shell is firefox for the times when I want to visit the very few sites where I need to allow js, cookies, etc. A simple `ssh webuser@localhost` and I can temporarily use the web like a normal person, but not allow access to my real home directory/etc.  Add an occasional wipe of /home/webuser and a restore from known state (basically just restoring browser settings).  One of these days I probably should create a creditunionuser account so that any online banking is done completely isolated.

[1] If you've been using the internet for quite awhile, you'll probably recognize the reference to one of the early annoying ads.  If not, don't assume.

I am mainly Windows based, because I am a repair tech, and I need to use them to be able to fix them...
That notwithstanding, My boxen are all surfing with 'user' level privileges, script and ad blockers, CCleaner is scripted to run on boot, so there are no cookies standing longer than a day, and the temp directory is hosed out every morning... Is it perfect? No, but I can't remember the last time KAV or Malwarebytes had a warning.

I don't do banking on the internet. My books are all old skool. I purchase only with gift cards, or out of a paypal account that never has any more money in in than is needed... And internet purchasing is very little to begin with.

To a point, I am identified, to anyone who can tie my router to my IP at the ISP I use... And the seven years of records they are required to retain... But all that won't give them much of anything... Emails to my family and surfing to my normal watering holes.

When I mean it, It's full-on locked-down linux anonymous, and never ever from a box I can be traced to, and never ever at home... Seldom from the same place twice.

And yes, I remember 'punch the monkey'.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 05:07:47 pm »
I think many people are wholly unaware of this level of tracking.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn