Author Topic: Parents object to graphic sex, profanity, drugs in book assigned to high-schoolers  (Read 1401 times)

rangerrebew

Parents object to graphic sex, profanity, drugs in book assigned to high-schoolers
November 16, 2016
By Victor Skinner

DUBUQUE, Iowa – Parents flooded into a recent Dubuque school board meeting recently to complain about a book used at Hempstead High School that contains graphic sex scenes, and glorification of drugs and alcohol.

A total of 13 parents addressed the board Monday about the book “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” by Stephen Chbosky after a parent highlighted its graphic content and questioned its educational value, according to The Telegraph Herald.wallflower

“Jodi Lockwood says she was surprised at what she called the book’s ‘graphic sex scenes’ and depictions of drugs and alcohol use,” the Associated Press reports. “Others also criticized the book and asked that school staff notify parents if they believe a book’s literary value overrides content concerns.”

http://eagnews.org/parents-object-to-graphic-sex-profanity-drugs-in-book-assigned-to-high-schoolers/
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 06:20:28 pm by rangerrebew »

geronl

Government schools want those kids sleeping around.

Offline mountaineer

I would wager that none of them has read Shakespeare, Tennyson, Clemens, Hawthorne or any number of pre-1980 writers.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I would wager that none of them has read Shakespeare, Tennyson, Clemens, Hawthorne or any number of pre-1980 writers.  **nononono*

And people don't realize when Tennyson wrote "in memoriam" he wrote it to his lover Hallam. A man.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Oceander

Did you read the snippets from the book reproduced in the article?   I have serious doubts that there is any literary value that overcomes the prurient nature of those snippets. 

Offline chae

This book was made into a PG-13 movie back in 2012.

Offline mountaineer

Did you read the snippets from the book reproduced in the article?   I have serious doubts that there is any literary value that overcomes the prurient nature of those snippets.
Yes. Disgusting.

Offline chae

Oh, come on, it's just "locker-room talk"!

geronl

Government schools are anti-child

rangerrebew

Liberals don't want empty vessels, they want vessels filled with the wrong grade of gas. 

Offline mountaineer

And people don't realize when Tennyson wrote "in memoriam" he wrote it to his lover Hallam. A man.
Well, perhaps. Today, the schools would have the children reading explicit descriptions of gay sex, rather than a piece of poetry quite so majestic.

I note that the Wiki entry on Hallam says:
During the Christmas vacation, Hallam visited Tennyson's home in Somersby, Lincolnshire; on 20 December he met and fell in love with Tennyson's eighteen-year-old sister, Emily, who was just seven months younger than Hallam. ... In February 1832, Hallam visited Emily: 'I love her madly,' he wrote.  ...
So Hallam's interests lay in comely lasses. Tennyson was married with two children, one of whom he named after Hallam. There seems to be some doubt that Tennyson and Hallam  ever actually were lovers.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Well, perhaps. Today, the schools would have the children reading explicit descriptions of gay sex, rather than a piece of poetry quite so majestic.

I note that the Wiki entry on Hallam says: So Hallam's interests lay in comely lasses. Tennyson was married with two children, one of whom he named after Hallam. There seems to be some doubt that Tennyson and Hallam  ever actually were lovers.
Back in the days before Freud had us reading sexual intentions into everything we do and say it was common place for family and friends to refer to each other in tender terms that would make folks today very uncomfortable. It's rather sad really.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Frank Cannon

Anyone have a copy of this book I can borrow? More research is needed.