Author Topic: Int'l. Study: IPCC Doesn’t Account for 1 Billion Tons of CO2 Absorbed Annually… by Cement  (Read 18117 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Smokin Joe

Facts and science don't matter.   It's not out reality it's about controlling people and their money.
If it wasn't the environment, they'd find some other excuse. Fear and panic are used as prime motivators, and the idea that the planet will kill you is a nifty thing to get people scared of. It works, because, after all, it's true.

One thing it didn't take long to figure out, looking at over 15,000 ft. of rock accumulated since the preCambrian in the Williston Basin: It has been fairly rare in geological history that this area was even marginally inhabitable by humans. A great deal of that time was spent either under salt water or as a salt pan/evaporite basin, just not a nice place to be. Some of it was spent as swamp or tidal flats, and more often than not, the dominant sediment was mud. In that time frame, temperatures were both colder and hotter than they are now, by considerable amounts, but one thing is certain, the environment changed. Otherwise, all that rock would be the same.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goodwithagun

So we can save the planet by paving it?

Pave paradise and put up a parking lot!  :silly: :silly: :silly:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
@Free Vulcan, I'm not sure I follow your complaint with it.  Would you mind clarifying?

Global warming theory is based on the assertion that CO2 absorbs ground heat and reflects it back to the ground. Except that it radiates it in all directions. The warmists however do the old sleight of hand and act as if it all goes back to the ground. So as I said - flat earth theory.

Much goes back into outer space. In fact that's one of the problems with the global warming models - there is way too much heat radiation going back out into space to keep the models sound.
The Republic is lost.

Offline thackney

We don't add  co2, we simply move it around.

We don't add carbon, but global CO2 quantities goes up and down.  We find the carbon often in hydrocarbons.  Burning them creates CO2.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Global warming theory is based on the assertion that CO2 absorbs ground heat and reflects it back to the ground. Except that it radiates it in all directions. The warmists however do the old sleight of hand and act as if it all goes back to the ground. So as I said - flat earth theory.

Much goes back into outer space. In fact that's one of the problems with the global warming models - there is way too much heat radiation going back out into space to keep the models sound.

Stepping back a bit, can someone direct me to somewhere that proves warming up this planet is actually a bad thing?

Yes, I know hot places will get hotter(good for us as the ME becomes unlivable maybe) but we might get Greenland back to being productive, as well as Siberia and most of Canada as farmland.
As an added bonus, maybe the rising oceans will solve the 'blue' problem along our seaboards once and for all.

Most of what I have read is Gore-ites trumping this is a disaster.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Because it's not generally relevant, as there's little we can do to reduce the natural contributions to offset the large load of CO2 humans are adding.  The system was in a general equilibrium, with a constant atmospheric CO2 concentration for quite some time until we began pumping lots in above the natural uptake rate.  While the increased concrete might pulls some out, it's only a few percent of all we are spewing.

My dad the meteorologist has told me repeatedly that the earth is continuously seeking equilibrium.

And you 'spewing' means you are alive and breathing.  I do enjoy spewing myself.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Suppressed

My dad the meteorologist has told me repeatedly that the earth is continuously seeking equilibrium.

And you 'spewing' means you are alive and breathing.  I do enjoy spewing myself.

Yes, if additional CO2 is added, it will adjust temperatures to remain in equilibrium at that new point.  That's exactly the point.

Alive and breathing is minor compared to the industrial input.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Yes, if additional CO2 is added, it will adjust temperatures to remain in equilibrium at that new point.  That's exactly the point.

All due respect saying that there is a demonstrable link between CO2 and elevation of temperature is patently nonsense. Carbon forcing is not established science - not even close.  It is a weak theoretical conjecture at best. Since it forms the core of all of the previous "climatic temperature models" put forth by AGW fanatics and the predictions have never been correct (never as in NEVER), that speaks volumes about the credibility of the carbon forcing conjecture.

The experimental observations about carbon forcing dynamics are all derived from the laboratory. The second the conjecture is positioned in a dynamic climate system involving the total volume of the atmosphere, it collapses. There are too many chaotic contributory factors and the theoreticians inevitably start adding "adjustments" to the data, which is in common speech "fudging" the numbers.

Also concerning the last statement, the natural contribution dwarfs any contribution by human activity especially in years where there are large forest / plains fires and volcanic eruptions.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 08:36:27 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
All due respect saying that there is a demonstrable link between CO2 and elevation of temperature is patently nonsense. Carbon forcing is not established science - not even close.  It is a weak theoretical conjecture at best. Since it forms the core of all of the previous "climatic temperature models" put forth by AGW fanatics and the predictions have never been correct (never as in NEVER), that speaks volumes about the credibility of the carbon forcing conjecture.

The experimental observations about carbon forcing dynamics are all derived from the laboratory. The second the conjecture is positioned in a dynamic climate system involving the total volume of the atmosphere, it collapses. There are too many chaotic contributory factors and the theoreticians inevitably start adding "adjustments" to the data, which is in common speech "fudging" the numbers.

Boom! Thank you. That's a whole other problem with the theory. Another is that there is only one CO2 measurement outfit that I'm aware of in the whole world, in Hawaii. I'd like confirmation that their ppm measurements are accurate, because I don't think they are.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Suppressed

With all due respect, this is silly.  Without the effects of carbon dioxide, life would not exist on earth.

Also concerning the last statement, the natural contribution dwarfs any contribution by human activity especially in years where there are large forest / plains fires and volcanic eruptions.

Source?

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

Another is that there is only one CO2 measurement outfit that I'm aware of in the whole world, in Hawaii. I'd like confirmation that their ppm measurements are accurate, because I don't think they are.

Considering there are other stations, stretching from pole to pole, what further confirmation do you need?!

I bet even a quick Google search would reveal these stations are out there.
+++++++++

Offline LateForLunch

With all due respect, this is silly.  Without the effects of carbon dioxide, life would not exist on earth.

Source?

What the Hell are you talking about!?! One second you are all about carbon forcing, the next pretending like you have no idea what I am talking about. You have either had too many drugs or not enough. Your ability to remain in touch with reality truly is suppressed.

I gave you the source for the information already; wikipedia. It's right there for you to read if you are not too lazy. I am done holding your hand and repeating myself endlessly because you are too rude, stupid or lazy to actually read what I post or go to the links I provide and read the information.

Online Smokin Joe

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

So what proof do you offer that new equilibrium is bad for us?

Alive and breathing may be minor to you, but not to me, as I wish to live.

Offline LateForLunch

So what proof do you offer that new equilibrium is bad for us?
Alive and breathing may be minor to you, but not to me, as I wish to live.

That is an excellent question and it deserves an answer. Since Suppressed is dodging most of the really big questions on this thread (as usual) I will answer for him. There is no proof whatsoever that even granting the silly claims of AGW fanatics of some sort of increase in average global temperatures, human beings don't have sufficient knowledge (or ever will) to determine what an ideal average temperature would be for the entire planet. What human beings consider ideal might not be ideal for the planet's biosphere as a whole. It is almost indescribably arrogant for any human being to believe that human beings have some sort of entitlement to decide this sort of thing. Furthermore, the belief that Humanity can (or should) try to control the planet's average temperature like a thermostat is so idiotic that IMO it calls into question the sanity of anyone who proposes it.   

Suppressed is an AGW fanatic who merely rescripts what he hears or reads on the Reality Denying far left AGW fanatic websites without having any remote idea of how physical geographical systems actually operate. He ignores questions he can't answer which is standard SOP for AGW fanatics. Being an ignoramus he is very good at ignoring things. 

His posts are increasingly unworthy of serious responses because of the way he refuses to participate in a back-and-forth. He would only teach, never learn. He is behaving more like an annoying parrot on this thread than a mature adult.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:40:15 am by LateForLunch »

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
I've been on this Earth for about 70 years and most of it in the same location. I remember a Summer over 35 years ago that would kick any Summer's butt for the last 25 years. My father talked about the 1930's dust bowl. -8 degree temperatures are few and far between in my neck of the woods and we got one this year in December. I have been reading all of these dire predictions for the last 20 years but I've yet to see their fulfillment. They keep moving the red line out to the point we won't be around to see it. Hurricanes were supposed to increase but they did the opposite. California droughts were supposed to be an indicator but we found that worse and longer droughts took place in that area centuries ago.
Artic ice was supposed to disappear but it grew. We find out that temperature readings at various stations were adjusted up for unclear reasons.
The World Governments want to tax the wealthy nations and give to the poor nations and AGW is their vehicle.
I say AGW is purely driven by hot unadulterated Bullsh*t.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
@LateForLunch

And what we do know factually from history, is that in the time where the Vikings were most active, there was about a 300 period of warming that surpasses that of today. It was also a period of relative economic and population stability because of the ability to grow crops over a wider range and more bountiful harvests.

Which of course included places like Greenland, which made it far possible for the Vikings to settle and survive. There was also other periods from the historical record of the same, and it mostly seems that warming is an overall a positive thing.

Cooling OTOH seems very disastrous for civilization and population, also proven a couple of times within the last 800 years.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Suppressed

Basic concepts well stated. http://joannenova.com.au/global-warming-2/ice-core-graph/
http://www.palisad.com/co2/slides/siframes.html

(Lots of data here)

@Smokin Joe

Sorry, I had missed this thread having activity, and now I'm headed out of town for a busy week, but I wanted to reply because we seemed to be on different pages.

I asked for the source on "Also concerning the last statement, the natural contribution dwarfs any contribution by human activity especially in years where there are large forest / plains fires and volcanic eruptions." and you provided info on a totally different topic.  I'm familiar with ice cores -- they tried to recruit me to drill Greenland.  As they say, "The first year you go for the adventure.  The second year, for the money.  You go back the third because you don't fit into society anymore!"
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

What the Hell are you talking about!?! One second you are all about carbon forcing, the next pretending like you have no idea what I am talking about. You have either had too many drugs or not enough. Your ability to remain in touch with reality truly is suppressed.

@LateForLunch

Well, you implied you had some understanding of the subject, so I took that in consideration when communicating with you.  Now that I see how elementary your understanding is, let's take it down yet another notch. 

First, please let's hear your definition of "carbon forcing".  [BTW, I don't use the IPCC definition, as IPCC is full of dreck.]  But let's first get the definitions out of the way, so we know we're speaking of the same things.

I gave you the source for the information already; wikipedia. It's right there for you to read if you are not too lazy. I am done holding your hand and repeating myself endlessly because you are too rude, stupid or lazy to actually read what I post or go to the links I provide and read the information.

I've looked up and down this thread and don't see that link.

(Sorry, but I'd missed that this thread had activity.  I'll be out of town for a while, but will check back when I return.)
+++++++++

@LateForLunch

Well, you implied you had some understanding of the subject, so I took that in consideration when communicating with you.  Now that I see how elementary your understanding is, let's take it down yet another notch. 

First, please let's hear your definition of "carbon forcing".  [BTW, I don't use the IPCC definition, as IPCC is full of dreck.]  But let's first get the definitions out of the way, so we know we're speaking of the same things.

(Sorry, but I'd missed that this thread had activity.  I'll be out of town for a while, but will check back when I return.)

When do you give us your proof that establishes that any warming of this earth is actually bad for the earth or its inhabitants?

Online Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

Sorry, I had missed this thread having activity, and now I'm headed out of town for a busy week, but I wanted to reply because we seemed to be on different pages.

I asked for the source on "Also concerning the last statement, the natural contribution dwarfs any contribution by human activity especially in years where there are large forest / plains fires and volcanic eruptions." and you provided info on a totally different topic.  I'm familiar with ice cores -- they tried to recruit me to drill Greenland.  As they say, "The first year you go for the adventure.  The second year, for the money.  You go back the third because you don't fit into society anymore!"
Check the ice core graphs. Wow. No SUVs, No smokestack industries, No 'overpopulation', bloody little humanity, but the climate has changed even without human intervention.
So what, pray tell would make one think that current changes are being driven by human activity. Those were natural sources driving the past climate changes, without significant human input. But if over 600,000 years of data won't convince you that natural factors are dominant, maybe a paper will, so look here:

http://notrickszone.com/2013/03/02/most-of-the-rise-in-co2-likely-comes-from-natural-sources/#sthash.wyXcO60O.dpbs
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:16:21 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline LateForLunch

@LateForLunch

Ah there is the vituperation I expected! Bravo. RIGHT ON TIME!! Suppressed has got to be one of the most pompous, scientifically illiterate AGW ignorami (sic)  have seen on this forum. He is so blatantly devoid of any willingness or ability to engage in substantive debate outside the childishly stilted parameters of his own horrendously deficient, yea semi-moronic focus upon the topic of physical geographical science, that his rambling, minutiae-obsessed, petulantly plaintive posts are not worthy of any further serious responses.

Maybe he has gone "out of town" (wow, impressive!) to chase down any intelligence he might have once possessed, since it has already taken leave of his skull for parts unknown. BTW, newsflash Suppressed, the Internet is EVERYWHERE now. You can get a laptop or pad device and access the Net even when you are "out of town"!! Unless by that you meant that you were venturing down the Amazon River, heading out to the Siberian Tundra or snow-catting to the South Pole! Even most of Death Valley has Net coverage (can you hear me now!?!) heh

Normal people answer requests for direct response, they do not simply ignore them then focus endlessly on having their own tangential, distraction-focused demands for discussion met. So obviously Suppressed is not normal.

For the benefit of anyone who may be following along in this discussion, (not for Suppressed satisfaction) let me define the effect of Radiative Forcing  in the context of carbon dioxide and other trace gas effects which I prefer to call Carbon Forcing since that is the focus of the AGW /reality-denier's paranoia and alarmism.

Radiative Forcing refers to the amount of solar black-body radiation (heat) which is either forced back into space (reflected) or forced downward (absorbed by the atmosphere). The endlessly erroneous predictions the IPCC and other AGW fanatic-dominated organizations they used to make (but then stopped making because they were always horribly wrong) relied on the notion that concentrations of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere have a direct or indirect correlation to downward forcing (retention of heat by the atmosphere).

Even in the Wikipedia article that one may reference regarding Radiative Forcing (which largely endeavors to complicate the issue with needlessly complex, tangential formulations and equations focused on debating the magnitude of forcing, not the basic validity of the claim that it has a significant effect relative to carbon) admits that the greater the concentrations of carbon dioxide the less their effect (aka the effect is logarithmic).

The glaring elephant in the room any time one of these mendacious kooks arrive on the scene is that CO2 concentrations were ten times higher on this planet during the period when the average temperature was the lowest (about 260 million years ago). The AGW fanatics try one slick trick after another to exaggerate the projected effects of carbon-driven radiative downward forcing in the atmosphere.

Whenever these people have it pointed out to them that their predictions have been consistently yea,  spectacularly wrong based on these notions of exponential  (the opposite of logarithmic) effects of carbon concentrations on forcing, they retreat into demands that obscure, tangential issues be discussed without addressing any of the central issues whatsoever. Suppressed has already done that on this thread repeatedly. He is really good at ignoring direct questions which of course, he does because he cannot answer them.

That also explains why he is either unable or unwilling to communicate in direct, easily-understood terms but retreats, as most AGW fanatics, into obscure, abstruse digressions which serve only to distract from, not to clarify  the central discussion. He can't or won't phrase his points (if he has any) or information in a way that people without much knowledge of technical jargon or mathematics can understand. That makes him unworthy of consideration and fully worthy of only of scorn and contempt.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:52:54 pm by LateForLunch »

That also explains why he is either unable or unwilling to communicate in direct, easily understood terms but retreats, as most AGW fanatics, into obscure, abstruse digressions which serve only to distract, not to clarify from the central discussion. He is either unable or unwilling to phrase his points (if he has any) or information in a way that people without much knowledge of technical jargon or mathematics can understand. That makes him unworthy of consideration and fully worthy of only of scorn and contempt.
Hence, his coined handle, Suppressed.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:04:23 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Suppressed

When do you give us your proof that establishes that any warming of this earth is actually bad for the earth or its inhabitants?

@IsailedawayfromFR

I never said that warming was "bad for the earth" (whatever that means).

As for being bad for the inhabitants, there are a number of reasons, but let me give you one example.

One issue is that rate of change.  Soils take a long time (in human terms) to develop.  Plants adjust to climate and soil conditions.  If climate changes rapidly, then the climate bands get "out of synch" with the soils.  While some crops are fine with this, certain ones (e.g., wine grapes) are highly sensitive to this disruption.

This is just one example, without getting into things like weather extremes -- since "warming of the earth" doesn't mean a uniform warming.
+++++++++