Author Topic: Arctic Circle's melting ice resurrecting horrifying diseases unseen for decades  (Read 2029 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
(NaturalNews) As ice that has been around for thousands of years melts due to shifts in weather patterns, there is concern among some scientists that viruses and diseases that have been frozen in time may be about to make a deadly comeback.

As reported by Vice News, a recent "zombie" anthrax outbreak was unleashed lately when centuries-old permafrost melted, killing 2,300 reindeer, causing dozens of people to be hospitalized and even killing a child in northern Siberia – an incident which may be a prelude to many more to come.

The super-deadly bacteria was unleashed after an anthrax-infected reindeer carcass that had been locked in permafrost for 75 years began to thaw, following record-high summer temperatures in the area. Vice News, quoting a Siberian news source, said that the rate at which permafrost melted this past summer was three times faster than normal.

Video of the scene reveals the gruesome finding. With the Yamal-Nenets region of the Arctic Circle as a backdrop, the video shows herds of reindeer with researchers milling about in yellow HAZMAT protective suits and masks, disinfecting the land and burning all infected carcasses and other matter.

Thus far the anthrax infection has manifested itself mostly in the region's nomadic reindeer population. And while Russian health officials acknowledge that hospitalization numbers are falling – just a few weeks ago, 115 people had been hospitalized with suspected cases – scientists and researchers fear there could be other deadly viruses and diseases still trapped beneath the dwindling permafrost.

http://www.naturalnews.com/056069_anthrax_permafrost_deadly_pandemics.html
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I guess this means we have to outlaw archeology since archeologists routinely unearth bodies from the permafrost that are infected with all kinds of nasty diseases.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I guess this means we have to outlaw archeology since archeologists routinely unearth bodies from the permafrost that are infected with all kinds of nasty diseases.

Tut's curse. Deja vu all over again.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cripplecreek

the rate at which permafrost melted this past summer was three times faster than normal.

Seems a strange statement to make about "perma"-frost. I'm not sure the speed at which ice melts has much of anything to do with anything.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
"When you think of Egyptian tombs, you have not only dead bodies but foodstuffs—meats, vegetables, and fruits" interred for the trip to the hereafter, said Jennifer Wegner, an Egyptologist at the University of Pennsylvania Museum in Philadelphia. "It certainly may have attracted insects, molds, [bacteria], and those kinds of things. The raw material would have been there thousands of years ago."

Recent laboratory studies have revealed that some ancient mummies do indeed carry mold, including at least two potentially dangerous species—Aspergillus niger and Aspergillus flavus. These molds can cause allergic reactions ranging from congestion to bleeding in the lungs.

The toxins can be particularly harmful for people with weakened immune systems.

Some tomb walls may also be covered with respiratory-assaulting bacteria like Pseudomonas and Staphylococcus.

Scientists have also detected ammonia gas, formaldehyde, and hydrogen sulfide inside sealed sarcophagi. In strong concentrations they could cause burning in the eyes and nose, pneumonia-like symptoms, and in very extreme cases, death.

Bats inhabit many excavated tombs, and their droppings carry a fungus that can cause the influenza-like respiratory disease histoplasmosis.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiij4Hbw7fQAhXrqlQKHYfPBf4QFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.nationalgeographic.com%2Fnews%2F2005%2F05%2F0506_050506_mummycurse.html&usg=AFQjCNHG59eObxZtyMxez8kPfsDXxXIaKA&sig2=YEXhJ7XBc91-uoJSnYrtYA

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Seems a strange statement to make about "perma"-frost. I'm not sure the speed at which ice melts has much of anything to do with anything.

The Chicken Little Effect.

Offline Suppressed

It's a new "normal".  Permafrost that didn't used to melt, is. 

But, oh yeah, there's no warming.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

I am all for some warming since the extended forecast is for cold. Man-made warming is the BS I disagree with.

Offline Cripplecreek

I am all for some warming since the extended forecast is for cold. Man-made warming is the BS I disagree with.

Warming is good.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Warming is good.

After a nice warm fall it is colder. We had in the -25 range this time a few years back. But, as I am sure you know, when the moisture freezes out the air it is a mere thing. It feels colder to me at higher temps with more humidity. At least I seem to get to the bone colder faster then.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)

Sure it is prudent to study such things. Except that the last few expeditions that went to the arctic to do so froze to death.
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline r9etb

(NaturalNews) As ice that has been around for thousands of years melts due to shifts in weather patterns, there is concern among some scientists that viruses and diseases that have been frozen in time may be about to make a deadly comeback.

So.... if those diseases were there and then got covered over by ice .... doesn't that suggest that the ice they're in, must have been on the surface at some point?  Meaning... that the ice level would perhaps have been lower in the past than it is now?

The question of what is "normal" for the arctic ice sheet is a complex one. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:04:42 pm by r9etb »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Right - let us blame 'glo-bull warming' for disease outbreaks instead of third world invaders.

Genius.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Cripplecreek

Right - let us blame 'glo-bull warming' for disease outbreaks instead of third world invaders.

Genius.

There is no reason to doubt pathogens are frozen in the ice and are potentially deadly. Samples of the WWI era influenza virus have been collected from bodies frozen in permafrost for research. The issue here is blaming man for global warming that goes on with or without us and has for millions of years.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Genius.

We already have problems with superbugs that are hard to kill or can't be. Only contained. Sort of.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

So.... if those diseases were there and then got covered over by ice .... doesn't that suggest that the ice they're in, must have been on the surface at some point?  Meaning... that the ice level would perhaps have been lower in the past than it is now?

The question of what is "normal" for the arctic ice sheet is a complex one.

I'd agree with your conclusion, but I think your premise may be flawed.

Consider a diseased person dying on ice in the winter.  Said ice then thaws and the body descends.  When the water freezes again, you have a disease trapped in ice that was not originally on the surface.

I'd be willing to bet that ice levels have been much higher and much lower in the past.  But I don't think that your argument that the presence of something under the surface proves the existance of "new" ice above it holds...  nope, not going to say it.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Cripplecreek

Consider a diseased person dying on ice in the winter.  Said ice then thaws and the body descends.  When the water freezes again, you have a disease trapped in ice that was not originally on the surface.

I'd be willing to bet that ice levels have been much higher and much lower in the past.  But I don't think that your argument that the presence of something under the surface proves the existance of "new" ice above it holds...  nope, not going to say it.

Things do indeed sink into the ice. Put a rock on the ice and it will sink into the ice in a few days. I use black rubber mats to melt ice on my sidewalk.

Offline r9etb

Well, sure -- hence my "perhaps." OTOH, surely you're not arguing that the only way things get covered with ice is for them to sink into it?

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Awright @InHeavenThereIsNoBeer, every time the ice melts and refreezes that is new ice.

Well, sure -- hence my "perhaps." OTOH, surely you're not arguing that the only way things get covered with ice is for them to sink into it?

I am not.  I'm simply saying I don't think we can assume that just because something is under ice implies that the ice level was once lower.

And don't call me Shirley.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Awright @InHeavenThereIsNoBeer, every time the ice melts and refreezes that is new ice.

Perhaps.  Or perhaps it is just water reverting to a previous state.  That's why I put quotes around 'new'.  I meant that just because something is covered up doesn't mean the level of the stuff covering it increased, it could be that the something sank.

P.S.  I've noticed on this site that I don't see a lot of stuff (youtube video links for one), probably due to the browser settings I use.  I see in your post a very large, empty area after the text, so I'm guessing there is something I didn't see.  Hopefully, it was a link to Monty Python discussing swallow migration.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Perhaps.  Or perhaps it is just water reverting to a previous state.  That's why I put quotes around 'new'.  I meant that just because something is covered up doesn't mean the level of the stuff covering it increased, it could be that the something sank.

P.S.  I've noticed on this site that I don't see a lot of stuff (youtube video links for one), probably due to the browser settings I use.  I see in your post a very large, empty area after the text, so I'm guessing there is something I didn't see.  Hopefully, it was a link to Monty Python discussing swallow migration.

No Monte Python. I think the post is that large  to accommodate all the stuff to the left. Avatar, etc.