Author Topic: 50 Incorrect Pronunciations That You Should Avoid  (Read 6314 times)

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: 50 Incorrect Pronunciations That You Should Avoid
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 10:56:52 am »
I grew up south of the Mason-Dixon Line, so 'tain't fair for me to pass judgement on the interpretive abilities of folks up(over) there, but that was funny. I don't reckon they'd have any idea what a fellow with a couple of cooters in a toe sack might be fixin' to do, but somehow, I think they might pass on the soup...

Most of those expressions I have heard out here in the Dakotas, too, but after The War, a lot of folks who had fallen victim to the carpetbaggers came out this way, and likely brought the expressions along.

When I first arrived in North Dakota, I was out in the northern part of the Red River Valley (of the North, for y'all Texans), which was highly settled by Norwegians. Most of the older folks still had the diphthong and consonant pronunciation of the old country, along with that singsong speech rhythm. The movie "Fargo" never quite got it, the best they did was sound like Reservation Canadians (eh).

I was coming out of Virginia and had just spent a few months working on the West Virginia Border back in the hills where I picked up a little twang to add to the drawl, so you can imagine the clash of dialects.
I had to say everything three times and write it down twice or find some guy from the Air Base to translate. Finally, I watched enough Johnny Carson to get that mid-Nebraska no-accent accent down well enough to communicate.

It was a rough run for a little while. I was a lot more comfortable after I moved further west...

I grew up here in southeastern Michigan where a lot of southerners settled during WWII.

You can't hardly throw a rock out the winder without hittin one.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2016, 11:24:04 pm »
ROTFLMAO! I thought the last bit was a riot. (If I was just 35 years younger...)

Kinda makes you wonder what it would cost to get your hawg shipped over, don't it?

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2016, 11:28:07 pm »
Wife corrects me at least once a month that there is no such word as "birffday"
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2016, 11:52:13 pm »
I say every one of these words as they are suggested.

They should have added that sports announcers should say "fooT- ball" and not "foopball."  :laugh:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2016, 11:56:28 pm »
OK............. I have a QUESTION for people from other regions than the NE.....

WHO says "anniverSHary" and "horSHradish?"   Is that a Kentucky hill thing, or a SE Ohio thing?? Or do people from other places say it too??

I think it's odd, but maybe it has a history that I need to know about.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2016, 12:15:18 am »
[...] but that was funny. I don't reckon they'd have any idea what a fellow with a couple of cooters in a toe sack might be fixin' to do, but somehow, I think they might pass on the soup...

I'm pickin up on what you're throwin down... But for the cooters, which I know, not so much from up here, but through my kin.

Most of those expressions I have heard out here in the Dakotas, too, but after The War, a lot of folks who had fallen victim to the carpetbaggers came out this way, and likely brought the expressions along.

Yep... it follows due west of the South, right into cowboy country in Texas, Okahoma and at the time, Kansas. From there, up the Rockies... There's a whole bunch of Western tradition and culture that springs right out of the south, and even straight out of those Scots-Irish up in the Appalachians, as those poor folk picked up and came west to seek their fortunes.

Even Western dance finds it's way in large part, from those Irish hillbillies. Wherever the fiddle and the banjo went, the music and dance went too.

When I first arrived in North Dakota, I was out in the northern part of the Red River Valley (of the North, for y'all Texans), which was highly settled by Norwegians. Most of the older folks still had the diphthong and consonant pronunciation of the old country, along with that singsong speech rhythm. The movie "Fargo" never quite got it, the best they did was sound like Reservation Canadians (eh).

Yep... The northern Rockies caught quite a bit from those Norwegians too... A whole lot of them around here.

It was a rough run for a little while. I was a lot more comfortable after I moved further west...

I come to it the other way around. I was born in Chicago, to my Illinois native father, and my Kansas farm girl mother... Moved out here young... Young enough to be just a bit late blooding my first kill, but early enough that few of my new friends had bagged their first deer - So the 'growing up' continued apace with them, with the exception of me having to get up to speed with fishing and farm life, and trapping in the creek and around the farmyard... which wasn't all that much.

But my mamma's kin are Southern by heritage - Kansas by way of Missouri, by way of Alabama/Mississippi... so a good bit of Southern manners, ethics, and food, were in me natural all the way along, as my mamma's folks were not far removed, not to say that Kansas is all that far removed anyhow...

I never did have trouble understanding folks here, as I was very used to my kin and their more southern drawl. But it didn't take long for me to adapt to Western speech at all.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 12:15:56 am by roamer_1 »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2016, 12:24:41 am »
Wife corrects me at least once a month that there is no such word as "birffday"

My wife HATED my redneck form of speech, most of all, probably 'sammich'... and 'probably' shortened to 'prolly', come to think on it... Dunno what her thinkin was, other than she must have thought she could change me as I went - which never works out the way they want it to - Especially on a country boy.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2016, 12:28:01 am »
WHO says "anniverSHary" and "horSHradish?"   Is that a Kentucky hill thing, or a SE Ohio thing?? Or do people from other places say it too??

Out here, anniversary would be sounded 'annaVERshry'

But a horse is a horse, of course, of course... : )

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2016, 12:54:24 am »
My wife HATED my redneck form of speech, most of all, probably 'sammich'... and 'probably' shortened to 'prolly', come to think on it... Dunno what her thinkin was, other than she must have thought she could change me as I went - which never works out the way they want it to - Especially on a country boy.

Amen.  Redneck should have it's own registered dialect.  Ban the g in "ing", and half the issue is addressed.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2016, 01:21:37 am »
Amen.  Redneck should have it's own registered dialect.  Ban the g in "ing", and half the issue is addressed.

That is a fact. It's the same all over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HPfmvaWRw

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2016, 01:41:54 am »
Kinda makes you wonder what it would cost to get your hawg shipped over, don't it?
Hmmmmm. If I ever decide to have a mid-life crisis, not only would I have to live to a ripe old age...I'd probably die a whole lot younger... or somethin' like that.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:45:37 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2016, 01:59:07 am »
Hmmmmm. If I ever decide to have a mid-life crisis, not only would I have to live to a ripe old age...I'd probably die a whole lot younger... or somethin' like that.

LOL! There's some wisdom in there somewhere, if I take the time to stretch it out....

BTW, I think I picked up a panhead - It's a frame and stretched forks, and the rest of it in a couple buckets (ain't they all) ... If I can get that to where my ass ain't bumpin the ground, I just might be up for Sturgis next year...

I've got an itch to get in the wind, and here this old girl comes along. Been so long, I can't hardly remember how it all goes back together. And ol Doc ain't around to sponge parts and machining from... but I think I'll get er done.

888high58888

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2016, 02:19:16 am »
LOL! There's some wisdom in there somewhere, if I take the time to stretch it out....

BTW, I think I picked up a panhead - It's a frame and stretched forks, and the rest of it in a couple buckets (ain't they all) ... If I can get that to where my ass ain't bumpin the ground, I just might be up for Sturgis next year...

I've got an itch to get in the wind, and here this old girl comes along. Been so long, I can't hardly remember how it all goes back together. And ol Doc ain't around to sponge parts and machining from... but I think I'll get er done.

888high58888
What you don't remember you can likely find on You-tube.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2016, 02:54:19 am »
What you don't remember you can likely find on You-tube.

Aw, I'll be alright... And I know enough bikers, it'll give me a reason to go see them... Shoot, they'll probably give me anything I might need, just to get me back in the wind. You know how that goes. Paint and wiring's the hard part... And I paint.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2016, 05:12:48 am »
Aw, I'll be alright... And I know enough bikers, it'll give me a reason to go see them... Shoot, they'll probably give me anything I might need, just to get me back in the wind. You know how that goes. Paint and wiring's the hard part... And I paint.
I'd help but I went from fooling with 45s to shovelheads and skipped the pans and knuckles.

C S Lewis

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2016, 04:14:35 pm »
And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-_4-Ii5opA

Yankees trying to figure Southern slang... I'm all the way up here in MT and I have used all these words...
I didn't realize that those were southern sayings. On the other hand I had a set of grandparents that came from Missouri and brought the whole southern lexicon with them. If more kids knew the meaning of "tan your hide" this world wouldn't be all cattywampus.

β€œThe way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online mountaineer

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2016, 04:19:02 pm »
I say every one of these words as they are suggested.

They should have added that sports announcers should say "fooT- ball" and not "foopball."  :laugh:
Sounds like "FUH-ball" to me.  ^-^
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2016, 04:22:30 pm »
Sounds like "FUH-ball" to me.  ^-^

If you listen carefully to some of them, you hear a faint "p" where the "t" is supposed to be.

Makes me laugh every time.  :laugh:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2016, 12:56:44 am »
I didn't realize that those were southern sayings. On the other hand I had a set of grandparents that came from Missouri and brought the whole southern lexicon with them. If more kids knew the meaning of "tan your hide" this world wouldn't be all cattywampus.

@Idaho_Cowboy ,

Well I could say the same thing, in that I understand those sayings - they are part of my personal lexicon - But it is more than that - It ain't that I use such words and have to explain myself... folks understand those words, and use them on me... So I don't believe you can lean on personal heritage.

It was odd the feller said cattywampus was a word you would hear only in cartoons... I hear it here quite a bit... Enough in construction circles, that my personal inference of it's meaning is something 'horribly out-of-square' , 'not parallel by a long shot'... something 'dramatically skewed'.

Maybe the cowboys kept it and the South let it go...
'Tan your hide' certainly works up here... any country kid knows that term precisely.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 12:57:29 am by roamer_1 »

Silver Pines

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2016, 03:22:19 pm »
I love that the article mentioned the use of "anyways", which is one of my pet peeves and drives me nuts when I see it.  I wish it had included the fact that "vigil" is not a three-syllable word (vij-ew-el) so I could forward it to my local news anchor.

Growing up, people around me tended to pronounce the "l" in salmon.  My sister-in-law asked me once if I do the same, or if I use the correct pronunciation (she, too, grew up with "sal-mon").  I told her I know the "l" is silent but it just sounds pretentious and fake to me to say it that way, so I don't.  I don't care what anyone thinks.

Silver Pines

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2016, 03:25:10 pm »
Maeve Maddox
Daily Writing Tips
December 2, 2008
More

I don't agree with all of these.

@Machiavelli

I'm still trying to figure this one out....four syllables?  Really?

32. medieval – The word has four syllables. The first E may be pronounced either short [med] or long [meed]. Say /MED-EE-EEVAL/ or /MEE-DEE-EEVAL/, not /meed-eval/.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2016, 05:29:11 pm »
I'm from Picksburgh, an' we talk normal. So, yins goin' aht tonight? Dahntahn, 'n'at, er da Sahth Hills? Long as it don't rain rilly hard, yins'll be okay.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2016, 05:34:43 pm »
I'm from Picksburgh, an' we talk normal. So, yins goin' aht tonight? Dahntahn, 'n'at, er da Sahth Hills? Long as it don't rain rilly hard, yins'll be okay.

LOL!  As one who grew up 4 miles from the PA line and less than an hour from Picksburgh, I have heard those words many times, and I laughed rilly hard when yins wrote them.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2016, 05:36:45 pm »
LOL!  As one who grew up 4 miles from the PA line and less than an hour from Picksburgh, I have heard those words many times, and I laughed rilly hard when yins wrote them.
That's why I enjoy the "Greg and Donny" videos so much. Two guys from Johnstahn anna girl from Picksburgh are da stars.