Author Topic: This fall, the “Radioactive Boy Scout” died at age 39  (Read 6176 times)

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: This fall, the “Radioactive Boy Scout” died at age 39
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2016, 03:03:24 pm »
I made nitroglycerin in 8th grade... Among other things...

Same here, except it was in the 10th grade, along with black powder.....

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 03:05:27 pm »
I've heard rumors on other forums that he was actually big into meth and that's how he died.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 03:14:30 pm »
I was the guy who could find unauthorized entry to the cabin, and knew how to spring the lock on the strongbox where they put your stuff, once confiscated.

I still pick a Master Lock blindfolded now and then too...

I still use that skill on a regular basis for tenants who decide to change the locks and not give me new keys.

There's more to being an Eagle Scout than a bunch of silly merit badges.

Online DB

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 06:40:01 pm »
Hey, me too - fell out of practice since the 90's though... After electronic keys and onboard computers, it got too complicated... Repo-style tow trucks became all the rage, as brutish a lift as they are, and a deft hand is left to find other enterprises ... So I hack computers now :)

Too bad I always had this cursed conscience, or I'd be a rich man... But I have always found it necessary to assuage my penchant for breaking and entering, the thrill of trespass, by limiting it to reasonably honest means - and the odd gray area, when I can find it :) Such a waste of talent.

LOL... Statute of limitations is our friend...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 08:29:17 pm »
I still use that skill on a regular basis for tenants who decide to change the locks and not give me new keys.

There's more to being an Eagle Scout than a bunch of silly merit badges.

That's why I was never much for gathering worldly riches - I know just exactly how useless keys and locks, alarms and passwords, really are.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2016, 12:39:00 am »
I made nitroglycerin in 8th grade... Among other things...

My "should have died" explosive of choice was methyl nitrate.  Relative easy to make but man you have to watch the temp very closely.

Online DB

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2016, 12:47:24 am »
My "should have died" explosive of choice was methyl nitrate.  Relative easy to make but man you have to watch the temp very closely.

I forgot what it was called but it used nitric acid (I believe) as a primary ingredient (perhaps that is your methyl nitrate). When it dried it was highly pressure sensitive. You could put drops of it on the ground and when people walked on it it went pop, pop, or throw dried pieces of it and it would go bang...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:48:42 am by DB »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2016, 01:02:34 am »
That's why I was never much for gathering worldly riches - I know just exactly how useless keys and locks, alarms and passwords, really are.

Well I don't rely on those things for my riches. I rely on lead.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2016, 01:03:22 am »
My brother blew his eyebrows off and burned his desk down in 5th grade... but that was just fireworks and black powder... Pretty awesome though - Everyone liked him, cuz they got a week off of school.