Author Topic: Blower Strap Possible?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline mrclose

Blower Strap Possible?
« on: November 13, 2016, 11:56:21 pm »

I purchased this blower for my 76 year old neighbor, a lady.

I do her leaf blowing when I am able to but there are times that I am away and can't get to it.

I helped her to learn to use it today but the problem is it gets too heavy for her after a little while.
(Almost an acre of land with a ton of oak trees)

What I would like to do is to attach a shoulder strap to the blower to take the strain off?

If possible, looking at the pictures .. do you think that doing the strap is possible?
(That tiny hole at the front is where you insert a small screw-driver to release the blower tube)

Thanks

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Blower Strap Possible?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 12:06:16 am »
Yes, I wouldn't drill a hole or use an existing hole though. I probably would make a collar for the front part of the strap to attach to, possibly something simpile like velcro so she can adjust it and move it as necessary. I probably would also do a cross-shoulder sling too so all the weight isn't pulling down on one shoulder but spread across her body.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 12:08:29 am »
Easy.

Loop of webbing around the nozzle end (orange part, not black).

Drill a 1/4" hole at the rear of the handle, slide a shackle through and attach the other end of the strap. Make the strap long so she can hang it cross body. Much easier to carry for longer periods, keeps the back straighter.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 12:10:49 am »
Just go to an Echo Dealer. They have a kit.

It should have come with one, btw...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 12:16:24 am by roamer_1 »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 12:40:25 am »
Nearly 15 minutes, and not a mention of duct tape.  Some times you just have to notice the good things in the world.

So my first thought was why put the weight on her in the first place?  Use wheels.  Maybe a shopping cart or furniture dolly repurposed (or, now that I think about it, a shop vac running in reverse).

Then, of course, it had to be self driven.  Sure, you can buy a motorized leaf vacuum.  If you're a girl.

This led me to debating adding a supercharger.  On one hand, duh.  On the other hand, she'd have to deal with too many people asking "why do you have a supercharger on your leaf blower?" which eventually leads to digging holes in the yard, which as you mentioned has oak trees which tends to make burying, um, things, difficult.

Then I remembered that this is the age of the internet, and plugged "tim allen leaf blower" into my favorite non-google search engine.  I was not disappointed.  Then I searched for "Iowa punter", and again, not disappointed.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 01:16:41 am »
Nearly 15 minutes, and not a mention of duct tape.  Some times you just have to notice the good things in the world.

Great post. Full of wisdom and grace.
But somewhere in the middle of it all, you need a backhoe.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 02:38:10 am »
Rent a high school kid for a few hours, or rope the grandkids into it for some dessert.....much easier.   :laugh:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 06:24:03 am »
Great post. Full of wisdom and grace.
But somewhere in the middle of it all, you need a backhoe.
You left out explosives, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 06:28:59 am »

Use some hose clamps to wire a guitar strap to the back of the handle and the orange part of the blower exhaust.