Author Topic: The Popular Vote Myth Explained  (Read 2504 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The Popular Vote Myth Explained
« on: November 13, 2016, 02:33:15 am »
The Popular Vote Myth Explained

Votes are counted until there is no reason to count any more votes.
Not every vote is counted.
A calculation is done based on the number of unknown uncounted votes available.
If the gap between the two candidates is more than the number of unknown uncounted votes available then the count is halted as there is no point to continue.

Total number of votes entered = 1999
Candidate X has 1000 votes
Candidate Y has 900 votes
Uncounted Votes = 99
The counting is halted and the 99 votes remain unknown and uncounted because there is no longer any point in counting them.

Did candidate X actually have 1099 votes?
Did candidate Y actually have 999 votes?
We will never know.

The next time some frickin' idiot tells you that Hillary won the Popular Vote, just explain to him that he is a fool and does not know what he is talking about.

Since not all votes are actually counted, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO KNOW WHO WON THE POPULAR VOTE!

Our tallying system simply doesn't work that way for Presidential elections.

Tell Reid and Moore to go back to school and take another civics course so the next time they speak, so they might actually know what they are talking about the next time they open their ignorant mouths.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 04:14:27 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: The Popular Vote Myth Explained
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 02:38:57 am »
Thank you!  That is EXACTLY right!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 02:46:56 pm »
@Bigun @240B

This is actually EXACTLY wrong.

I did some research on this matter and it appears that the notion that absentee ballots are not counted unless it is close is a myth.

I believe the myth originated from the fact that states would be called as "won" prior to all absentee ballots being counted because they couldn't sway the outcome, but they still eventually get tallied and added into the certified totals.

So, it's a lie.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:47:25 pm by bolobaby »
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 02:48:38 pm »
At this point, Trump got fewer votes in winning than Mitt Romney got in losing.

So there's that.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 02:51:04 pm »
@Bigun @240B

This is actually EXACTLY wrong.

I did some research on this matter and it appears that the notion that absentee ballots are not counted unless it is close is a myth.

I believe the myth originated from the fact that states would be called as "won" prior to all absentee ballots being counted because they couldn't sway the outcome, but they still eventually get tallied and added into the certified totals.

So, it's a lie.

OK! I'll take your word for it but even if what you say is true it will be quite some time before the finally tally is known to anyone.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 06:16:09 pm »
I believe all vote totals are supposed to be certified by Dec 13th, but I think there are some states who have done it already.

Here's a link of dates associated with that:

http://www.uniformlaws.org/shared/docs/military%20and%20overseas%20voters/overseasvoters_timetable%20chart.pdf

Bear in mind, that it is highly unlikely that the vast majority of states will change their vote totals by much at this point. The ballots have already been counted, there is little to protest, so recounts are not underway across the country.

Bottom line: Hillary won the popular vote. Everyone here should accept that and stop pretending it isn't true.

This is the reason we need the electoral college. Otherwise all elections could basically be decided by 7 democratic stronghold cities. (Not fully, but statistically, if it was popular vote only, those cities would tip the statistical scales by about a factor of ten.)
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 01:32:11 am »

@bolobaby

Thank you bolobaby for straightening me out. I really thought what I wrote was the way it worked. It is not something I made up in my own head. What I wrote was how the process was explained to me. So, I blame my teacher.

Obviously, I feel foolish about this but it was an honest misunderstanding on my part. I am glad that you have taught me the right way this process works. I can accept being wrong if the value of that is learning the truth.

Thanks again
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline kidd

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 10:59:53 pm »
The next time some frickin' idiot tells you that Hillary won the Popular Vote, just explain to him that he is a fool and does not know what he is talking about.

Furthermore, you can explain to them that Hillary Clinton did not win a MAJORITY of the popular vote. Because no candidate won the majority of the vote, the 12th Amendment requires the House of Representatives to elect the President. It would be expected that the strong majority of Republicans in the House would elect Donald Trump.

Winning the popular vote doesn't win her the presidency either...more people would have to had to have voted FOR her than those who voted AGAINST her.