Author Topic: 14 TV Shows Likely to Get the Ax After This Season  (Read 6300 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
14 TV Shows Likely to Get the Ax After This Season
« on: November 12, 2016, 08:21:33 pm »
Michelle Regalado
The Cheat Sheet
November 12, 2016

It's not easy for any TV show - whether new or returning -- to avoid the ax. Some start out strong and end up losing viewers over time, while others just can't make it work in their freshman season. Plus, as audiences know all too well, cancellations aren't always predictable. While some seem doomed right from the start, others remain on the bubble for some time (Sleepy Hollow, Bones).

In the coming months, all five major networks will have to decide which entries from their lineup -- from sitcoms to to fantasy dramas -- will get officially pulled. Here's a look at 14 shows that may be counting this TV season as their last.
More

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 09:32:50 pm by Machiavelli »

geronl

Re: 14 TV Shows Likely to Get the Ax After This Season
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 09:21:06 pm »
I can tell you now I wouldn't recognise almost any of them

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 09:46:06 pm »
I tried to watch new MacGyver.  I gave 3 shows.  It was painful and I really want those Three hours back.  Who ever thought putting cocky braindead millennial in the staring roll should ask his mother to retrieve his balls from the mason jar on the top shelf of the basement pantry.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 12:29:29 am »
Whenever I watch new shows (a rare occurrence) I'm always struck by how p.c. they are. I only watch action shows, so my selection is somewhat limited.
You  have the requisite female hero who can demolish men twice her size. Females and minorities have to be in charge of police departments or the scientists, medical/tech experts who solve the problem or crime.
White males are frequently depicted as childish or boorish types who have to be saved or shown the errors of their ways. 
Even shows with white male protagonists many times have him as a wimp. I saw the tail end of "The Mentalist" one time, as he confronted some female criminal about her crime. She knocked him down and proceeded to kick him as he crouched in a fetal position. That was enough for me.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 12:33:44 am »
With Amazon and Netflix now competing for TV series, the networks are going to have to up their game.

I just binged watched The Crown on Netflix in three days, one of the best shows I've ever seen. It is the most expensive television series ever made, not because it is over the top, but they spared no expense to make every single detail accurate. The acting and writing are brilliant.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-the-crown-review-20161103-snap-story.html

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 12:20:19 pm »
I won't miss any of those shows- I didn't watch McGyver on principle, and I did see one episode of "Son of Zorn" because it was on before or after "The Simpsons" and I didn't feel like getting up to change the channel.

It was bad. Certainly Fox can think up some decent animated comedy? Or bring back Futureama in that slot?

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 12:30:02 pm »
I won't miss any of those shows- I didn't watch McGyver on principle, and I did see one episode of "Son of Zorn" because it was on before or after "The Simpsons" and I didn't feel like getting up to change the channel.

It was bad. Certainly Fox can think up some decent animated comedy? Or bring back Futureama in that slot?
Futurama, the show that JUST WON'T DIE!

(Kind of like Matt Groening's other show.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 12:34:35 pm »

I found a kids show I like that seems to go against the PC tide while watching with my preeteen niece. Henry Danger is about a teen sidekick to an adult superhero and neither is really all that into the superhero thing. Its actually a pretty funny show.

An episode I watched last week had teen Henry coaching a little kids basketball team under the usual PC rules, Henry and his team resisted and became winners while rubbing the PC noses in it.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 12:36:27 pm »
I found a kids show I like that seems to go against the PC tide while watching with my preeteen niece. Henry Danger is about a teen sidekick to an adult superhero and neither is really all that into the superhero thing. Its actually a pretty funny show.

An episode I watched last week had teen Henry coaching a little kids basketball team under the usual PC rules, Henry and his team resisted and became winners while rubbing the PC noses in it.

I will look for it. I think that's on Nickelodeon.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 04:44:03 pm »
I tried to watch new MacGyver.  I gave 3 shows.  It was painful and I really want those Three hours back.  Who ever thought putting cocky braindead millennial in the staring roll should ask his mother to retrieve his balls from the mason jar on the top shelf of the basement pantry.

The original MacGyver was always popular with my dark green Marines.  They thought he was cool as hell.

Miss those guys.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 04:50:17 pm »
I can tell you now I wouldn't recognise almost any of them

Elementary is the only one I've even heard of.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 05:05:51 pm »

I lasted probably 5 minutes watching the "Son of Zorn"...what a horrible show.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 05:27:53 pm »
I only watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu right now. A lot less Hulu because it requires you to "keep up" in some cases.

I don't recognize any of these shows. Not one.

Good things I have watched on Netflix recently have been:

Dark Matter (still working on this one - somewhere in Season 2.)
Luke Cage (still in progress)
Stranger Things (holy crap! awesome)
Making a Murderer
Knights of Sidonia (You really have to give anime a chance. Most start out somewhat basic in the first 1-3 episodes, then start getting really deep on the character development and side stories. It's also fun to watch awkward Japanese sexuality. Crazy.)
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 05:30:25 pm »
Whenever I watch new shows (a rare occurrence) I'm always struck by how p.c. they are. I only watch action shows, so my selection is somewhat limited.
You  have the requisite female hero who can demolish men twice her size. Females and minorities have to be in charge of police departments or the scientists, medical/tech experts who solve the problem or crime.
White males are frequently depicted as childish or boorish types who have to be saved or shown the errors of their ways. 
Even shows with white male protagonists many times have him as a wimp. I saw the tail end of "The Mentalist" one time, as he confronted some female criminal about her crime. She knocked him down and proceeded to kick him as he crouched in a fetal position. That was enough for me.

@goatprairie

Dude - if you have Netflix, watch Stranger Things. The male adult protagonist on that show is basically like Han Solo. No PC BS.
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

geronl

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 06:28:38 pm »

I probably wouldn't recognizing any of the top shows names, much less the bottom. lol

geronl

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 06:29:45 pm »
It's also fun to watch awkward Japanese sexuality. Crazy.)

They love their underage sex

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 06:35:51 pm »
I only watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu right now. A lot less Hulu because it requires you to "keep up" in some cases.

I don't recognize any of these shows. Not one.

Good things I have watched on Netflix recently have been:

Dark Matter (still working on this one - somewhere in Season 2.)
Luke Cage (still in progress)
Stranger Things (holy crap! awesome)
Making a Murderer
Knights of Sidonia (You really have to give anime a chance. Most start out somewhat basic in the first 1-3 episodes, then start getting really deep on the character development and side stories. It's also fun to watch awkward Japanese sexuality. Crazy.)

Watched the first three episodes of "The Crown" on Netflix last night.  We're loving it.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Idiot

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 07:49:53 pm »
Elementary really isn't a bad show.  I watch the reruns on the weekends.  The British guy speaks so fast at times though, he's hard to understand.  Or maybe it's me...lol.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2016, 08:34:51 pm »
Elementary really isn't a bad show.  I watch the reruns on the weekends.  The British guy speaks so fast at times though, he's hard to understand.  Or maybe it's me...lol.

Nah........ when British guys speak really fast or soft, NONE of us on this side of the pond have any idea what they're talking about.   ^-^

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2016, 08:43:41 pm »
Elementary is still on? I gave up on that a while back because it got stupid. Same for Blacklist. Who's dumb idea was it to kill off Lizzie? The damn show is about her and Red.

The other shows I never heard of. Can't think of one network show we watch anymore.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2016, 08:49:33 pm »
I watch KDramas on viki.com and dramafever.com.    I really enjoy the fact that since the actors are Korean, I don't have to worry about hearing their political views. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 08:58:58 pm »
We've gotten to the point of watching only reruns of Law and Order, a few sporting events and Barnwood Builders on the DIY network.

Maya and Marty in Manhattan - saw it promoted; no interest, even though I like Martin Short
Braindead - never heard of it
American Gothic - may have seen a promo once, not interested
Notorious - never heard of it
The Exorcist - saw a promo, not interested
MacGyver - not interested, never watched
Rosewood - not interested after seeing promo, never watched
Conviction - never heard of it
Scream Queens - came across it once while surfing, couldn't stand more than 30 seconds
Frequency - never heard of it
The Blacklist - don't like the lead actor, never watched
Son of Zorn - don't like the lead actress, never watched
Elementary - Lucy Liu gives me the creeps, never watched
Secrets and Lies - never heard of it

So what's on tonight? Never mind, I have to work.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2016, 09:04:18 pm »
They love their underage sex

@geronl

So you obviously haven't watched any, then, since the vast majority of *good* anime doesn't have sex, just sexual embarrassment. Lots of red faces and awkward moments when one character says something that could be construed as indicating they like another character.

Although there are some exceptions among anime that I would rate as "decent." Seven Deadly Sins, for example, and the boob-grabbing.
1. Trump is never wrong.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 09:05:55 pm »
Watched the first three episodes of "The Crown" on Netflix last night.  We're loving it.

@musiclady

I will put The Crown on my list. I'm going through boxes and boxes of old comics to prepare for sale, and it's something that can be done while binge watching shows. So, since I don't normally subject myself to a lot of TV, I'm going through Dark Matter pretty damn quick.
1. Trump is never wrong.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 09:07:36 pm »
We've gotten to the point of watching only reruns of Law and Order, a few sporting events and Barnwood Builders on the DIY network.

Maya and Marty in Manhattan - saw it promoted; no interest, even though I like Martin Short
Braindead - never heard of it
American Gothic - may have seen a promo once, not interested
Notorious - never heard of it
The Exorcist - saw a promo, not interested
MacGyver - not interested, never watched
Rosewood - not interested after seeing promo, never watched
Conviction - never heard of it
Scream Queens - came across it once while surfing, couldn't stand more than 30 seconds
Frequency - never heard of it
The Blacklist - don't like the lead actor, never watched
Son of Zorn - don't like the lead actress, never watched
Elementary - Lucy Liu gives me the creeps, never watched
Secrets and Lies - never heard of it

So what's on tonight? Never mind, I have to work.
Pretty much the same here, have not watched one episode, let alone a minute of any of the above listed programs...very little on networks interest me enough to get my butt to sit in the chair...I prefer watching MeTV which is like a classic tv station...shows from the 50s-80s...they used to show classic commercials, but now, not at all...

Walking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead, Holmes on homes, How it's made, Outrageous Acts of Science, L&O Criminal Intent re-runs, even with it's persistent portrayal of "evil conservatives"...pretty much do it for me.

Currently watching Hell on Wheels and X-Files on Netflix...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.