Author Topic: What is Trump's appeal?  (Read 20490 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: What is Trump's appeal?
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2016, 01:20:27 am »
Glad you said it because I also smell a reject from the newly defunct DU is trolling us.

And I have lived in both Wyoming and California too, and this one sounds off like a troll.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

StrangerInAStrangeLand

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2016, 01:21:51 am »
Yah think..
I've been a registered libertarian for the last 10 years. I'm not trying troll, I'm just looking for an actual answer.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2016, 01:22:34 am »
If you don't have borders you don't have a country

Offline DB

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2016, 01:23:35 am »
If we want to be semantic, half the country didn't even vote. But no, I don't really care about the vote totals and political trending, as that's a systemic issue and a discussion for another day. I'm really just looking for a way that I can relate to him - I've tried, and come up empty handed.

It is pretty simple. Most voters don't like Washington DC elite shoving their way of living down our throats along with the media who back them. This was a rejection of all that. Trump was the guy standing farthest from it and in many ways an empty suite that people could see what they wanted to see.

Now the rubber meets the road and will see what the truth of it all is, for better or worse.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:29:30 am by DB »

Offline DB

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2016, 01:24:45 am »

On that we agree.

So will Trump build "The Wall"?

StrangerInAStrangeLand

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2016, 01:26:20 am »
The vote totals are all that matters when raw numbers are the issue and people not voting obviously don't care one way or the other. As far as relating to the guy, I'm the wrong person to ask. But as far as telling you from a conservatives point of view what I see, most people that voted Trump were simply fed up with Democrat/liberalism. They don't like Democrat policies, don't agree with them and absolutely do not want to live under them. If they did, Hillary would be President.

I would take it a step further and say for many, the left/Democrats have so offended them by this point that many now don't differentiate the people from the politics. they dislike the Democrats as people as much as the Democrats as politicians/policy. The Democrats have worn their liberalism as a badge for so long and so brazenly that they 'are' that as people to many. Myself included.

I appreciate the answer. That's basically how I feel about both sides. And that's why I'm not asking this on a Democrat forum - I doubt I'd get a reasonable answer. I'm hoping I can get a well reasoned answer from someone here.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:26:51 am by StrangerInAStrangeLand »

StrangerInAStrangeLand

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2016, 01:30:04 am »
It is pretty simple. Most voters don't like Washington DC elite and the media who back them. This was a rejection of all that. Trump was the guy standing farthest from it and in many ways an empty suite that people could see what they wanted to see.

Now the rubber meets the road and will see what the truth of it all is, for better or worse.

Aren't all politicians essentially the Washington DC elite? And the media that backs them - CNN, FOX, MSNBC, what's the difference? They all profit from playing the same game. How is Trump not one of those elites AND the media who backs them?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2016, 01:30:08 am »
Though you might not know from some, Trump has a Libertarian appeal, drain the swamp; audit the feds type.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2016, 01:30:59 am »
I've been a registered libertarian for the last 10 years. I'm not trying troll, I'm just looking for an actual answer.

Bless your heart...I as many here did not vote for him because he is not a Conservative, I voted for McMullin so we might not be able to answer your question. There is a site called FreeRepublic and just about everyone there voted for him. Possibly they could give you some insights..

StrangerInAStrangeLand

« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2016, 01:34:26 am »

I agree, but the wall at the southern border doesn't do much good now. Have you ever been down to the Anza Borrego desert (east of San Diego)? It's a major passage into the U.S. For that matter, there're U.S. citizens that live between the wall and the border in Texas. The wall is basically the same as having a sign that says "Please don't trespass."

StrangerInAStrangeLand

« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2016, 01:35:06 am »
Bless your heart...I as many here did not vote for him because he is not a Conservative, I voted for McMullin so we might not be able to answer your question. There is a site called FreeRepublic and just about everyone there voted for him. Possibly they could give you some insights..

I appreciate it. I'll take a look.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2016, 01:38:40 am »

You might want to avoid that site. They demand unquestioning loyalty to Trump there even though a few years ago the site owner called Trump a "charlatan" who "has all the fall for anything type chumps fooled."

You won't find what you're looking for there but I wish you luck
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline beandog

« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2016, 01:39:08 am »
That wasn't very nice of you.  You know they are going to skewer him and burn him at the stake. :silly:

Offline DB

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2016, 01:39:53 am »
Aren't all politicians essentially the Washington DC elite? And the media that backs them - CNN, FOX, MSNBC, what's the difference? They all profit from playing the same game. How is Trump not one of those elites AND the media who backs them?

Well in many ways I think he is one of those elites. But go talk to the average person and many don't think so. They know virtually every time they vote for one of the political class candidates who says the right things they go to Washington and do the opposite. Trump is seen as the furthest from all that of the choices available.

There are a few politicians that talk/act for less government, less top down control of our lives. Those are the ones I support. My concern is Trump isn't really talking about reducing government or restraining it to constitutional limits. If he were health care wouldn't go from Obamacare to Trumpcare. It would be out of the federal government's hands. I see Trump just as another flavor of big government. We'll see if I'm wrong soon enough.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2016, 01:40:02 am »

And 220 Reagan staffers led by Edwin Meese endorsed Trump; but you say he's not conservative.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2016, 01:41:52 am »
I agree, but the wall at the southern border doesn't do much good now. Have you ever been down to the Anza Borrego desert (east of San Diego)? It's a major passage into the U.S. For that matter, there're U.S. citizens that live between the wall and the border in Texas. The wall is basically the same as having a sign that says "Please don't trespass."

So, the US is undergoing a heroin epidemic and a lot of it, most, probably comes from Mexico, it's a source of crime and it is killing many Americans.

San Diego fence works,

Israel's border wall works.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2016, 01:41:59 am »

Oh Geez, kid I was just playing with you....

You won't get anything like a reasonable response over there, stay the hell away. Ask around here, not everyone is a wise ass like myself and you will probably get some good answers... my bad :chairbang:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2016, 01:42:04 am »
You're objectively wrong. The popular vote went to Hillary - more than half of the country did not disagree with the Democrats. So - what is a policy on which the Democrats are wrong?

All of them! Every last one! 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2016, 01:42:51 am »
I voted for Trump. I have been on a self-imposed sabbatical for awhile since this place went batshit crazy crammed full of nevertrump garbage, spewed by likely paid operatives, or the clinically insane.

Back to Trump. He offered

--Border sanity--wall or otherwise
--muslim refugee sanity--better screening, fewer admitted
--foreign policy sanity--don't give Iran nuclear capability and money on top of it.
--economic sanity--quit lying about unemployment, other aspects.
--trade sanity--quit making one sided trade agreements.
--integrity in government, contrasted with the norm for career political operatives.

--Didn't insult the good citizens of America, calling them "Deplorable" and "uneducated." (like the batshit carzy nevertrumps on THIS site did, too)

Guess what? Voters heard his appeal.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline LMAO

« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2016, 01:43:39 am »
Lol....

Getting an endorsement does not make one a conservative

He will have to govern as one to be one. And that's were we will find out who was right about him and who was wrong
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline TomSea

« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2016, 01:44:48 am »
Some people have noted, Trump is largely preaching what Pat Buchanan did in 1992, what is in a lot of Pat Buchanan's books. Whether that has a libertarian appeals.

Some Libertarians, Ron Paul types, appreciate Trump's message because it is largely about re-shaping the government, I don't want to say "tear it down"; but others might. Trimming the government down, smaller government. Rush said that just in the last two days.

I guess Rush, ex-Reagan staffers, 220, Gingrich, Buchanan, all of the supporters of Trump, etc. don't fit the conservative mode, oh, and Bob Dole too.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2016, 01:46:04 am »
I voted for Trump. I have been on a self-imposed sabbatical for awhile since this place went batshit crazy crammed full of nevertrump garbage, spewed by likely paid operatives, or the clinically insane.

Back to Trump. He offered

--Border sanity--wall or otherwise
--muslim refugee sanity--better screening, fewer admitted
--foreign policy sanity--don't give Iran nuclear capability and money on top of it.
--economic sanity--quit lying about unemployment, other aspects.
--trade sanity--quit making one sided trade agreements.
--integrity in government, contrasted with the norm for career political operatives.

--Didn't insult the good citizens of America, calling them "Deplorable" and "uneducated." (like the batshit carzy nevertrumps on THIS site did, too)

Guess what? Voters heard his appeal.

Paid operatives is probably right, a few people have vanished, yes.

888high58888

WTG Truth Seeker and Trump and Pence.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2016, 01:48:06 am »
At least now, days after the election, we probably have some authentic Never Trumpers and one can understand having differences with the candidate,

It happened to Romney too.

But Goldwater knew, you had to also work with people, not just be a non-cooperative rogue.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:48:31 am by TomSea »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2016, 01:49:13 am »
Demand side economics is specifically in reference to the government leaving it alone, eg, Laissez Faire. The most appropriate way to drive the economy is to give money back to people and let them spend it where they choose, not to give it to suppliers, who have no further incentive to reinvest it in the economy.

No, no, and no.

First off, the government should NOT be in the business of driving the economy.  Therefore demand/supply side are BOTH wrong.

Secondly, taking money from some people and giving it to others is NOT "the government leaving it alone, eg, Laissez Faire."  BTW, why do both of your descriptions of economic stimulous  refer to the govenment "giving" something to someone?

Finally, even if we accept your premise that the government should "do something", anyone who made it through week one of Econ 101 can draw out the supply and demand curves to demonstrate that while both approaches raise economic output (if we completely and utterly ignore the damage done by taking the money out of the economy in the first place, government money multiplier my left foot), demand side stimulus causes price inflation, while supply side stimulus causes price deflation.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2016, 01:49:17 am »
You're objectively wrong. The popular vote went to Hillary 

Which means diddly squat.    You play the game according to the rules,  the goal was to win the EC, not the popular vote.  Had the popular vote been the criteria for victory, Trump takes a completely different approach, going more for votes in California, etc.