Author Topic: What is Trump's appeal?  (Read 20452 times)

Offline beandog

Re: What is Trump's appeal?
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 01:00:14 am »
You're objectively wrong. The popular vote went to Hillary - more than half of the country did not disagree with the Democrats. So - what is a policy on which the Democrats are wrong?
The popular vote may have gone to Hillary, but that's because the losers and liberals in California and New York continue to vote for people who are harmful to this country.  Fortunately, the states that counted decided to wake  up to what was happening and put a stop to it.  At least for now.

Democrats are wrong on all policies.  Hard to pick just one.

StrangerInAStrangeLand

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 01:00:14 am »
Yes, she was more unthinkable than her husband, Chester the Molester Bill, and certainly the Bushes.  Obama has been 8 years of horror.  Conservatives knew the Courts would be further destroyed if something wasn't done to stop it, thus they put their faith in tRump.  They knew for a fact that's what woud happen if the Beast won. 

Besides, tRump didn't so much win as she lost.  Your people didn't come out to vote for her.  You just need to look at the numbers from 2012.  Maybe  you should be asking liberals why they didn't vote for her.  In the end, he's not her and that is a very good thing. :dx1:

Democrats did vote for her, but most Democrat votes have less electoral value than Republican votes. For instance, California has 70 times the population of Wyoming, but only 18 times the electoral votes. Therefore, every Wyomingite has 3.9 times the representation that a Californian has. I've lived in both places, and loved them both, but that's pretty silly. Representational differences, coupled with the consistent trends in political leanings and redistricting over the last 20 years, are what got Trump elected.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2016, 01:01:27 am »
I'm not sure if I'm responding to this just for the potential popcorn value or if I actually want to attempt an explanation...   :facepalm2:
Let it burn.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2016, 01:01:59 am »
So am I. Shoulda voted for me.

Well, OK I'm stunningly handsome and rich is spirit.

Not buying that either huh?...

My feet don't stink! Thats gotta count for something!!!!

Handsome..huh!...you gotta have big bucks...sorry you lost my vote.....hehehe
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

StrangerInAStrangeLand

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2016, 01:02:09 am »
The popular vote may have gone to Hillary, but that's because the losers and liberals in California and New York continue to vote for people who are harmful to this country.  Fortunately, the states that counted decided to wake  up to what was happening and put a stop to it.  At least for now.

Democrats are wrong on all policies.  Hard to pick just one.

"Wrong on all policies" has no value in a real discussion. You can pick more than one, though. :) I'm just looking for a real answer.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2016, 01:04:26 am »
I must admit - I don't understand Trump's appeal. I'm a liberal, in some sense - and I'd identify socially with classical libertarians. Economically I'm a supporter of demand side economics in the sense that Ayn Rand and Robert Heinlein espouse. So far I haven't been able to find any category or policy on which I align with Trump. Then again, I haven't been able to find any real depth on what Trump's policies are, so maybe I'm just missing something. Does anyone have any good references for his policy details, or could you explain some of the policies that influenced you to vote for him?

I think Trump's main appeal is not so much Trump the man, but rather that he represents a thumb in the eye to the amorphous "they" who, in ways big and small, foist frustration, joblessness, and are generally above the law and unaccountable.  Trump stood as the only argument available to people who cannot seem to get traction for their concerns.

Trump's success in this election is in large part due to his willingness to recognize and speak out about the things that matter to a lot of normal people.  (Whether he means it is a different question.)

Moreover, Hillary Clinton's ability to get away with breaking laws, as she obviously did; and connivance of the DOJ and others in getting her off the hook; those things amplified the frustration and gave Trump additional credibility.

It doesn't change how people think about him -- sexist, boorish, unfit -- but the opportunity to make a statement against the corrupt status quo outweighed it.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2016, 01:05:07 am »
IWIICBITNOWUWTHIGO (I would if I could but I think no one will understand what the hell is going on.)

WTAHOAWTPOMP (Well that's a hell of a way to piss on my parade.)

StrangerInAStrangeLand

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2016, 01:06:30 am »
I think Trump's main appeal is not so much Trump the man, but rather that he represents a thumb in the eye to the amorphous "they" who, in ways big and small, foist frustration, joblessness, and are generally above the law and unaccountable.  Trump stood as the only argument available to people who cannot seem to get traction for their concerns.

Trump's success in this election is in large part due to his willingness to recognize and speak out about the things that matter to a lot of normal people.  (Whether he means it is a different question.)

Moreover, Hillary Clinton's ability to get away with breaking laws, as she obviously did; and connivance of the DOJ and others in getting her off the hook; those things amplified the frustration and gave Trump additional credibility.

It doesn't change how people think about him -- sexist, boorish, unfit -- but the opportunity to make a statement against the corrupt status quo outweighed it.

I'm not expecting to like him. What is a thing that "matters to a lot of people" that Trump spoke out about? What is something that resonated with you?

I'm all for a middle finger to the establishment, I just don't see how he accomplishes that. It seems like he's more likely to be the establishment giving us the middle finger back.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:08:40 am by StrangerInAStrangeLand »

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2016, 01:06:48 am »
You're objectively wrong. The popular vote went to Hillary - more than half of the country did not disagree with the Democrats. So - what is a policy on which the Democrats are wrong?

20 trillion in debt. Obamacare. Energy and land use

If you want to get semantical with vote totals, add in non Democrat numbers for Johnson, Stein, McMullin and writeins. Yes, half the country rejected Democrats. the consistent trend of Republicans gaining the house and senate both, massive increases in state govt seats by non Dem candidates (and not just GOP) all point to the rejection of Democrats. The rise of the TEA party went as far as to reject liberal republicans within the GOP.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:08:06 am by Norm Lenhart »

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2016, 01:07:37 am »
Handsome..huh!...you gotta have big bucks...sorry you lost my vote.....hehehe
Then suffer with TRUMPIAN TOE ODOR!!!!!!!!!

Offline r9etb

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2016, 01:09:07 am »
I'm not expecting to like him. What is a thing that "matters to a lot of people" that Trump spoke out about? What is something that resonated with you?

I'm sorry, but you, sir, sound like a troll.  Or a 'bot.

If "the establishment in DC is corrupt and Hillary Clinton is its avatar" isn't good enough for you, then nothing will work.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2016, 01:09:20 am »

What..are you writing an article..sure sounds like it!

I don't allow Libs at TBR...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2016, 01:09:37 am »
"Wrong on all policies" has no value in a real discussion.

It does if you find Hitlary a full out piece of corrupt shit.

Offline beandog

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2016, 01:10:17 am »
"Wrong on all policies" has no value in a real discussion. You can pick more than one, though. :) I'm just looking for a real answer.
No, they didn't turn out for her.  If liberals were really interested in electing the first woman president, they would have turned out in the same numbers they did for Obama.  They didn't.  I guess that means they're sexist.

If the Donald just gets rid of Obama care he will be a better President than Obama.  If he puts constitutional Judges on the Courts, he will be a better President than Obama.  Conservatives are tired of liberals making laws from the bench. :nono:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2016, 01:10:32 am »
Then suffer with TRUMPIAN TOE ODOR!!!!!!!!!

For a no limit credit card I will suffer!
Support the USO

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2016, 01:10:58 am »
What..are you writing an article..sure sounds like it!

I don't allow Libs at TBR...

Glad you said it because I also smell a reject from the newly defunct DU is trolling us.

StrangerInAStrangeLand

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2016, 01:11:08 am »
20 trillion in debt. Obamacare. Energy and land use

If you want to get semantical with vote totals, add in non Democrat numbers for Johnson, Stein, McMullin and writeins. Yes, half the country rejected Democrats. the consistent trend of Republicans gaining the house and senate both, massive increases in state govt seats by non Dem candidates (and not just GOP) all point to the rejection of Democrats. The rise of the TEA party went as far as to reject liberal republicans within the GOP.

If we want to be semantic, half the country didn't even vote. But no, I don't really care about the vote totals and political trending, as that's a systemic issue and a discussion for another day. I'm really just looking for a way that I can relate to him - I've tried, and come up empty handed.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2016, 01:12:26 am »
Economically I'm a supporter of demand side economics in the sense that Ayn Rand and Robert Heinlein espouse.

I've read most of what those two wrote, and I don't remember them being big fans of government interference in the economy.  Quite the opposite in fact (and by opposite, I don't mean that they were fans of "supply side economics", which while being vastly superior to "demand side economics" still suffers from the fatally flawed assumption that the government should "do something" to stimulate the economy).

I'd suggest a visit to the library section at mises.org. 
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2016, 01:13:18 am »
For a no limit credit card I will suffer!

Pretty kinky! If you and Donald want to play 'This little piggy' in the privacy of Trump Tower, who am I to judge?

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2016, 01:14:20 am »
Democrats did vote for her, but most Democrat votes have less electoral value than Republican votes. For instance, California has 70 times the population of Wyoming, but only 18 times the electoral votes. Therefore, every Wyomingite has 3.9 times the representation that a Californian has. I've lived in both places, and loved them both, but that's pretty silly. Representational differences, coupled with the consistent trends in political leanings and redistricting over the last 20 years, are what got Trump elected.

Good grief a Californian :laugh:

If you thought Wyoming was balmy in the winter you never never want to come to Montana it gets down right nippy here..

BTW American elections are decided by the vote in the electoral college not the popular vote. That core Constitutional principle that has made the good old USA the oldest surviving Republic in the world.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2016, 01:16:42 am »
Glad you said it because I also smell a reject from the newly defunct DU is trolling us.

Yah think..

Offline r9etb

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2016, 01:17:18 am »
If we want to be semantic, half the country didn't even vote. But no, I don't really care about the vote totals and political trending, as that's a systemic issue and a discussion for another day. I'm really just looking for a way that I can relate to him - I've tried, and come up empty handed.

Well, if you're looking for a reason to like the guy, then this probably isn't your best place to look -- a lot of us, even those who voted for him, don't think all that highly of him.

The answer for why he won, is mainly that he represents the old thumb in the eye to Hillary Clinton, and through her the whole smug and lawless bunch, and what they stand for.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2016, 01:18:24 am »

I think it is this.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:20:11 am by TomSea »

StrangerInAStrangeLand

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2016, 01:19:55 am »
I've read most of what those two wrote, and I don't remember them being big fans of government interference in the economy.  Quite the opposite in fact (and by opposite, I don't mean that they were fans of "supply side economics", which while being vastly superior to "demand side economics" still suffers from the fatally flawed assumption that the government should "do something" to stimulate the economy).

I'd suggest a visit to the library section at mises.org.

Demand side economics is specifically in reference to the government leaving it alone, eg, Laissez Faire. The most appropriate way to drive the economy is to give money back to people and let them spend it where they choose, not to give it to suppliers, who have no further incentive to reinvest it in the economy.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2016, 01:19:58 am »

The vote totals are all that matters when raw numbers are the issue and people not voting obviously don't care one way or the other. As far as relating to the guy, I'm the wrong person to ask. But as far as telling you from a conservatives point of view what I see, most people that voted Trump were simply fed up with Democrat/liberalism. They don't like Democrat policies, don't agree with them and absolutely do not want to live under them. If they did, Hillary would be President.

I would take it a step further and say for many, the left/Democrats have so offended them by this point that many now don't differentiate the people from the politics. they dislike the Democrats as people as much as the Democrats as politicians/policy. The Democrats have worn their liberalism as a badge for so long and so brazenly that they 'are' that as people to many. Myself included.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:20:56 am by Norm Lenhart »