Author Topic: Boss tells pro-Trump employees to resign  (Read 4267 times)

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Boss tells pro-Trump employees to resign
« on: November 10, 2016, 09:34:16 pm »
If you voted for Donald Trump, you may not feel welcomed at Grubhub.

The CEO of Grubhub, an online food delivery service, sent a company wide email Wednesday suggesting employees who agree with President-elect Donald Trump’s behaviors and his campaign rhetoric should resign.

“If you do not agree with this statement then please reply to this email with your resignation because you have no place here,” wrote Matt Maloney, Co-Founder of Grubhub. “We do not tolerate hateful attitudes on our team."

Maloney, a Hillary Clinton supporter, sent the email Wednesday afternoon with the subject line, “So…that happened…what’s next?” He made it clear in the email statement that he is personally stunned and deeply concerned with the results of Tuesday’s election.

[excerpted]

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/11/10/boss-tells-pro-trump-employees-to-resign.html
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Boss tells pro-Trump employees to resign
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 09:39:43 pm »
Douchefaggot:

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 09:42:50 pm »
My wife and I own 3 companies..we NEVER discuss politics or religion with clients (we have many liberal and conservative clients) and raely with employees unless we are very close to them.

NO political signs or banners are allowed on our properties.

Why alienate 1/2 of your customer base?

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 09:47:18 pm »
In fairness, that is not what he said:

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 09:49:16 pm »
I seem to recall business owners saying pretty much the same to 0bama voters in years past...

But on another note, it's interesting to me how this got out from an apparently internal email.

Either an employee who agrees with him thought they were doing him a favor or....

an employee who disagrees leaked it out.

I'm leaning towards the latter since only about 20% of their workforce replied positively.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline chae

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 09:53:55 pm »
There is this girl I know on facebook and she's complaining that she got fired for being a Trump supporter.  I know the details and I know people who worked with her and it wasn't that she was a Trump supporter, it was that she was aggressively obnoxious about it, like writing "Vote Trump!" on receipts and such.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 09:54:25 pm »

Based on my reading/understanding of what he wrote, I disagree...

The guy is telling his employees that if they don't reject Trump's "nationalist, anti-immigrant and hateful politics" (as he does), then they're to submit their resignations.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 10:04:41 pm »
My wife and I own 3 companies..we NEVER discuss politics or religion with clients (we have many liberal and conservative clients) and raely with employees unless we are very close to them.

That's the way it should be.

I am very conservative but my liberal uncle is willing to invest a buttload of money in me to run a business because he knows I resist mixing business and politics. Just this morning he sent me a PM noting my silence about politics on the facebook battlefield.

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 10:07:55 pm »

The guy is telling his employees that if they don't reject Trump's "nationalist, anti-immigrant and hateful politics" (as he does), then they're to submit their resignations.

Yeah... hard to say. I'd have to ask if anyone who voted Trump is included.

Anyway, he's a douchefaggot and I hope his business fails.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 10:10:06 pm »

New Balance just learned the hard way.  They praised Trump's anti TPP and discovered their love affair with Trump was not good for business.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 10:14:58 pm »
Some lucky Trump supporter is going to wind up owning the company once the lawyers are done with them.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 10:16:08 pm »
"Republicans buy shoes too." - Michael Jordan

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 10:19:36 pm »
“We do not tolerate hateful attitudes on our team."

Ummmm............. Hillary is the Queen of hateful attitudes.

That's what was wrong with this election.

Both candidates stank.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 10:19:55 pm »

To begin with he comes across as a condescending and passive-aggressive ass....  Aside from that, it's only a passive-aggressive warning against talking Trumpist politics on the job.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 10:26:09 pm »
Some lucky Trump supporter is going to wind up owning the company once the lawyers are done with them.

Doubtful given the contents of a letter addressed to all employees and not picking anyone out individually especially if you are a nonunion employee "at will."

Whether is is smart business is a different matter..

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 10:26:43 pm »
To begin with he comes across as a condescending and passive-aggressive ass....  Aside from that, it's only a passive-aggressive warning against talking Trumpist politics on the job.

That's my take because in the final paragraph he actually says to give Trump the benefit of the doubt?

:shrug:

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 10:40:23 pm »
His company, his rules.
Now we have DT giving control of his organization to his children.  Blind trust......ha ha ha ha

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 10:42:28 pm »
Doubtful given the contents of a letter addressed to all employees and not picking anyone out individually especially if you are a nonunion employee "at will."

Whether is is smart business is a different matter..

Employees should keep their politics to themselves for their own protection. Employers should keep their mouth shut as well but for different reasons.

Years ago I worked for a company where the owner would take lunch breaks with us just so he could turn the breakroom TV channel to the show Rush Limbaugh had at the time. He would then engage us in long political discussions. I didn't mind since I was apparently born conservative.

He never threatened to fire anyone for disagreeing with him but I suspect it had a lot to do with hiring practices. There were around 50 temps with only 5 of us full timers and all of us full timers were conservative.

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 10:44:07 pm »
Employees should keep their politics to themselves for their own protection. Employers should keep their mouth shut as well but for different reasons.

Years ago I worked for a company where the owner would take lunch breaks with us just so he could turn the breakroom TV channel to the show Rush Limbaugh had at the time. He would then engage us in long political discussions. I didn't mind since I was apparently born conservative.

He never threatened to fire anyone for disagreeing with him but I suspect it had a lot to do with hiring practices. There were around 50 temps with only 5 of us full timers and all of us full timers were conservative.

Sounds like my company in Cambridge, MA. All liberals. I just keep my mouth shut. Don't hang out with them after work or go to functions.

Might go to company Christmas party this year though.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 11:00:45 pm »
Agreed.

Many companies, if they're smart, will have such policies about talking politics on the job. 

If his intent was to just remind his employees of such, he failed spectacularly to get his point across in a clear manner...it does come across as quite threatening at first read.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2016, 11:43:27 pm »

No signs, no banners. But In the oil patch, Liberals didn't last too long, just on principle.

If you think about it, those who embrace conservative values (not saying this year the winner is a barometer of that, necessarily), will generally not screw their employers over, crap on a customer, or otherwise perform undesirably. They will generally be where they are supposed to be, do what they are supposed to do, and do it right, when they are supposed to do it.

Folks who embrace situation ethics can rationalize most anything, and that can bring an employer a load of grief.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2016, 11:46:42 pm »

Frankly, reading that and considering the nature of his business, it seems perfectly reasonable to me. It is a statement of company policy, and an admonition to get aboard or leave as the reader chooses. I can't fault that. It is his company, after all.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2016, 11:59:25 pm »
Frankly, reading that and considering the nature of his business, it seems perfectly reasonable to me. It is a statement of company policy, and an admonition to get aboard or leave as the reader chooses. I can't fault that. It is his company, after all.

There is a certain segment of the population who have bought into the "Trump isn't PC" line when in reality, its Trump simply being a vulgarian ass and they want to emulate him. That's the last thing any business needs working the cash register.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 12:11:32 am »
There is a certain segment of the population who have bought into the "Trump isn't PC" line when in reality, its Trump simply being a vulgarian ass and they want to emulate him. That's the last thing any business needs working the cash register.
Yep. Trump went well beyond not being PC, and it was unnecessarily crude. Many took that as an excuse to do likewise, as if it validated bad manners and vulgarity.
No business dealing with the general public needs that.
If we want businesses to have the unmitigated right to serve who they will, they also should have the right to establish codes of conduct for the employees on their time, too.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 12:13:51 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 12:40:19 am »

Definitely a weird email, strangely written. I get the impression that the first draft of this email read much differently, as there seems to me to be several revisions and more than one hand in concocting this mess.

It swings back and forth between being threatening to be conciliatory back to being threatening, etc. This makes it confusing to the reader and obscures the point. What is the bullet point meaning of this memo? I don't know?

It is likely he had a fit and wrote a scathing letter to express his feelings about Trump and his supporters which was later revised by HR and a lawyer.

I would be very surprised to receive a memo like this expressing disdain for the soon to be President. But the most egregious part is a memo which has the term 'email your resignation' in any context. This is unprofessional in the extreme and obviously a reactionary statement.

Again, weird and strange. I can't really tell what he is getting at. I guess he thinks Trump supporters don't buy food, or that he doesn't need their business. This will not work out well for the company, not matter what it was intended to be. That is the one, and the only thing that is clear about this.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.