Author Topic: Veteran's Day Fading Away?  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Night Hides Not

Veteran's Day Fading Away?
« on: November 10, 2016, 07:08:07 pm »
Taking a cue from Douglas MacArthur's speech, "old soldiers never die, they just fade away." Sadly, Veteran's Day assemblies in my school district (Coppell ISD) are fading away, too. I was advised by District HQ, that assemblies honoring Veteran's Day are up to each school. Seems strange, as the month of September is designated as "Patriotism Month" (I'd call that "District guidance").

I called our local elementary school, Valley Ranch Elementary. All 3 of my kids went to school there, starting from the day it opened 20 years ago. No school-wide assembly this year, it's up to each class. It wasn't too long ago they had an assembly for the entire school, and I recalled sitting next to some real heroes, such as veterans of WWII. 

Anyhow, I sent a message to my daughter, to let the teacher know I'm available to pay them a visit tomorrow, and talk about the real meaning of Veteran's Day.  It's a tradition that cannot be allowed to die, let alone fade away.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 07:08:55 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Wingnut

Re: Veteran's Day Fading Away?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 07:13:08 pm »
Taking a cue from Douglas MacArthur's speech, "old soldiers never die, they just fade away." Sadly, Veteran's Day assemblies in my school district (Coppell ISD) are fading away, too. I was advised by District HQ, that assemblies honoring Veteran's Day are up to each school. Seems strange, as the month of September is designated as "Patriotism Month" (I'd call that "District guidance").

I called our local elementary school, Valley Ranch Elementary. All 3 of my kids went to school there, starting from the day it opened 20 years ago. No school-wide assembly this year, it's up to each class. It wasn't too long ago they had an assembly for the entire school, and I recalled sitting next to some real heroes, such as veterans of WWII. 

Anyhow, I sent a message to my daughter, to let the teacher know I'm available to pay them a visit tomorrow, and talk about the real meaning of Veteran's Day.  It's a tradition that cannot be allowed to die, let alone fade away.

:patriot:

All the best to you.  Let us know if the good admins in the Coppell ISD invite you to speak to the little minds of mush.  Not the students mind you but the boneheads running the place.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 07:16:24 pm »
It's become another cotton picking shopping holiday. I'm about ready to boycott anyone who runs a Veterans Day sale.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 07:19:21 pm »

Solid man.  :beer:

I hope they take you up on it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 10:02:26 pm »
I'll be there at 9 AM tomorrow. I'll hang around and eat lunch with my grandson...they eat lunch early (10:45).
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 10:09:13 pm »
It's become another cotton picking shopping holiday. I'm about ready to boycott anyone who runs a Veterans Day sale.

:thumbsup:

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 10:09:15 pm »
 :patriot:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 11:14:48 pm »
There was an article in the paper coinciding with Veterans Day looking for drivers for the vans for Vets. Since I have some time and I'm going to the same places anyway I called and volunteered. They said they had a great response and they would put me on the list but not to expect more than a call or two a month. It's great to be Montana boy...

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 12:49:43 am »
I'm going to be working with a bunch of women to pack Christmas gift packs for soldiers.  Looking forward to it.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 12:51:20 am »

Veteran's Day Fading Away?

I don't think so. Everyone likes the Doctors that take care of animals.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 02:42:32 am »
The public school in my area has held a "Salute to Veterans" dinner every year for the past few years. We've always had a high number of veterans in the area. So, at least from my perspective, it's not dying any time soon.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 11:56:21 am »
I'm going to be working with a bunch of women to pack Christmas gift packs for soldiers.  Looking forward to it.

Wow, I wish I lived near you @Sanguine I would like to help.

Mom and I both have doctor appointments today. This afternoon we are going over to the township's VH Hall and pay our respects. They have a wall there of all the names of all the men and women who served - it's a nice memorial. This year my dad got top honor. I'm going to be bawling like a baby.

G- d bless the veterans .  :patriot:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 12:32:27 pm »
Wow, I wish I lived near you @Sanguine I would like to help.

Mom and I both have doctor appointments today. This afternoon we are going over to the township's VH Hall and pay our respects. They have a wall there of all the names of all the men and women who served - it's a nice memorial. This year my dad got top honor. I'm going to be bawling like a baby.

G- d bless the veterans .  :patriot:

I do too; we'd be glad to have you.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 01:25:49 pm »
I was thinking about one year I was working in London, covering Veteran's Day in London.

I loved everyone wearing poppies. It was amazing to see.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 01:26:10 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️