Author Topic: Impossible Spaceship Engine Called "EmDrive" Actually Works, Leaked NASA Report Reveals  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Impossible Spaceship Engine Called "EmDrive" Actually Works, Leaked NASA Report Reveals
Will Sabel Courtney,The Drive Mon, Nov 7 11:45 AM PST

When a scientist announced last decade that he’d built a new form of spacecraft propulsion called the EmDrive that didn’t require conventional fuel, it sounded too good to be true. But the great thing about science is that you don’t have to take someone’s findings at their word; you can test it for yourself. NASA did just that—and while the space agency hasn’t officially released its findings yet, a leaked copy of NASA’s report reveals the EmDrive seems to work as advertised....
https://www.yahoo.com/news/impossible-spaceship-engine-called-emdrive-194534340.html
We still have a long way to go, but sounds interesting. Not sure I trust anything that supposedly doesn't follow Newton's laws.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline bolobaby

I love it. Very exciting.

The idea that the quantum step results in net energy gain (if that is what is actually happening) is freaking awesome.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
I love it. Very exciting.

The idea that the quantum step results in net energy gain (if that is what is actually happening) is freaking awesome.

I've been watching this one for a while. Something interesting going on with it.

Offline bolobaby

I've been watching this one for a while. Something interesting going on with it.

@Cripplecreek

I've been sorely tempted to build one in my garage.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Joe Wooten

Next step is to put one on a satellite and test it in orbit.....

Hey Vic!! Convince NASA/Jacobs to make that your next project!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 01:48:37 pm by Joe Wooten »

Offline Just_Victor

Next step is to put one on a satellite and test it in orbit.....

Hey Vic!! Convince NASA/Jacobs to make that your next project!

I hate flight hardware projects.  It's all procedures, pedigree, and paperwork.   :banging:
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Just_Victor

We still have a long way to go, but sounds interesting. Not sure I trust anything that supposedly doesn't follow Newton's laws.

Several of the scientists/engineers involved have been blogging about the preliminary results for years.  I guess they are getting ready to publish results for peer review, but this is hardly a "leak."
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline thackney

...the experimental engine whipped up 1.2 millinewtons of force per kilowatt of energy. To put that in simple terms, you’d need about 900 times that to make an apple hover in midair under Earth’s gravity....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cripplecreek

Several of the scientists/engineers involved have been blogging about the preliminary results for years.  I guess they are getting ready to publish results for peer review, but this is hardly a "leak."

It helps that the scientists and engineers have been very open and forthcoming about this.

A big British lab tested this a while back and found that the device did appear to produce thrust which was promising but the thrust was in the same direction no matter which way the device was turned. I've heard that the issue has since been resolved.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Very interesting!  If they can figure out what makes it work and then scale it up to usable size, workable interplanetary travel and perhaps eventually interstellar travel could become a reality.
Let it burn.

Offline Joe Wooten

I hate flight hardware projects.  It's all procedures, pedigree, and paperwork.   :banging:

Welcome to my world of nuclear power plant design............

Offline dfwgator

The principle of generating small amounts of finite improbability by simply hooking the logic circuits of a Bambleweeny 57 Sub-Meson Brain to an atomic vector plotter suspended in a strong Brownian Motion producer (say a nice hot cup of tea) were of course well understood — and such generators were often used to break the ice at parties by making all the molecules in the hostess's undergarments leap simultaneously one foot to the left, in accordance with the theory of indeterminacy.

Many respectable physicists said that they weren't going to stand for this, partly because it was a debasement of science, but mostly because they didn't get invited to those sorts of parties.

Another thing they couldn't stand was the perpetual failure they encountered while trying to construct a machine which could generate the infinite improbability field needed to flip a spaceship across the mind-paralyzing distances between the farthest stars, and at the end of the day they grumpily announced that such a machine was virtually impossible.

Then, one day, a student who had been left to sweep up after a particularly unsuccessful party found himself reasoning in this way: If, he thought to himself, such a machine is a virtual impossibility, it must have finite improbability. So all I have to do in order to make one is to work out how exactly improbable it is, feed that figure into the finite improbability generator, give it a fresh cup of really hot tea... and turn it on!

He did this and was rather startled when he managed to create the long sought after golden Infinite Improbability generator. He was even more startled when just after he was awarded the Galactic Institute's Prize for Extreme Cleverness he was lynched by a rampaging mob of respectable physicists who had realized that one thing they couldn't stand was a smart-arse.

Offline thackney

The principle of generating small amounts of finite improbability by simply hooking the logic circuits of a Bambleweeny 57 Sub-Meson Brain to an atomic vector plotter suspended in a strong Brownian Motion producer (say a nice hot cup of tea) were of course well understood — and such generators were often used to break the ice at parties by making all the molecules in the hostess's undergarments leap simultaneously one foot to the left, in accordance with the theory of indeterminacy.

Many respectable physicists said that they weren't going to stand for this, partly because it was a debasement of science, but mostly because they didn't get invited to those sorts of parties.

Another thing they couldn't stand was the perpetual failure they encountered while trying to construct a machine which could generate the infinite improbability field needed to flip a spaceship across the mind-paralyzing distances between the farthest stars, and at the end of the day they grumpily announced that such a machine was virtually impossible.

Then, one day, a student who had been left to sweep up after a particularly unsuccessful party found himself reasoning in this way: If, he thought to himself, such a machine is a virtual impossibility, it must have finite improbability. So all I have to do in order to make one is to work out how exactly improbable it is, feed that figure into the finite improbability generator, give it a fresh cup of really hot tea... and turn it on!

He did this and was rather startled when he managed to create the long sought after golden Infinite Improbability generator. He was even more startled when just after he was awarded the Galactic Institute's Prize for Extreme Cleverness he was lynched by a rampaging mob of respectable physicists who had realized that one thing they couldn't stand was a smart-arse.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline kevindavis007

@Cripplecreek

We are on a verge of something big.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Cripplecreek

@Cripplecreek

We are on a verge of something big.

I'm ready for a great leap forward.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I'm ready for a great leap forward.

I'd settle for two steps and a gentle hop. It is promising though. We've spent too long pissing around in orbit.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline uglybiker

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

@dfwgator @thackney

Now if it could just help me in my efforts to throw myself at the ground and miss....
nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-BATMAN!!!