Author Topic: How the Colt Single Action Army Revolver Won the West  (Read 4481 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
How the Colt Single Action Army Revolver Won the West
« on: November 05, 2016, 05:58:06 pm »
How the Colt Single Action Army Revolver Won the West

The history of the West—in one pistol.

By Matthew Moss
Nov 3, 2016

On October 26, 1881, shots rang out at the O.K. Corral. Within the first 30 seconds of the shootout, three members of the Clanton gang were killed. Men on both sides, including Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday and Billy Clanton, would become legends in part because of what happened in Tombstone, Arizona. They were firing a legendary weapon, too.

The Colt Single Action Army held many names over the years. First came its clunky official title, the New Model Army Metallic Cartridge Revolving Pistol. But soon it became known as the Frontier, the Equalizer, the Model P, and most famously, the Peacemaker.

more
http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a23685/colt-single-action/?src=nl&mag=pop&list=nl_pnl_news&date=110516
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: How the Colt Single Action Army Revolver Won the West
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 11:46:29 pm »
I may be wrong because it has been more than a few decades since I paid any attention to this stuff,but I believe the revolver more suited to that title was the Cold Dragoon. It was such an advancement in technology and weapons at the time that it's hard to find words to describe the impact to people who have never been in gunfights.

For all practical purposes before the Colt Dragoon came along,soldiers,calvary officers,sheriffs.marshals,and regular people wandering around in the untamed west were reduced to 3 shots before they had to go to their hatchet or knife. One from their muzzle loading single shot rifle,and 1 from each of the muzzle-loading single shot pistols they carried.

Suddenly not only did a 6 shot revolver show up on the scene,but it was designed so the owner could carry multiple extra cylinders pre-loaded with their blackpowder loads,and swapped out for an empty cylinder MUCH quicker than anyone could reload a muzzle loader.

IIRC,most (all?) of the original Dragoon revolvers were in 44 caliber.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 12:29:31 am »
Suddenly not only did a 6 shot revolver show up on the scene,but it was designed so the owner could carry multiple extra cylinders pre-loaded with their blackpowder loads,and swapped out for an empty cylinder MUCH quicker than anyone could reload a muzzle loader.

Well, if you want to throw a pissin match, then we'll have to consider the Colt Navy too, especially after the cartridge conversion... Lighter, and more suited to a belt-carry, and pretty available used after the army started converting to cartridge...

But I don't think either of them stood in the shade of the peacemaker.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 12:30:11 am by roamer_1 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 12:38:43 am »
Well, if you want to throw a pissin match, then we'll have to consider the Colt Navy too, especially after the cartridge conversion... Lighter, and more suited to a belt-carry, and pretty available used after the army started converting to cartridge...

But I don't think either of them stood in the shade of the peacemaker.

@roamer_1

"Pissing match"??? What are you talking about? The Dragoon was a revolutionary advancement in handguns. A game changer. The Colt's that followed it were just modifications of the basic Dragoon,right up to the 1911 Colt.  Yes,each was a big step forward in practicality,but none were revolutionary.

And history isn't a pissing contest. It is a collection of mostly facts.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 12:48:45 am »
@roamer_1

"Pissing match"??? What are you talking about? The Dragoon was a revolutionary advancement in handguns. A game changer.

And so was the self-contained cartridge over the cap and ball. And the Dragoons were mostly too early... 'Settling the West' mainly took place in the late 1800's (circa Civil war and after). Cap and ball was on the way out. Granted, still popular out west, where the used market probably flourished, But the Peacemaker was the right gun at the right time...

And history isn't a pissing contest. It is a collection of mostly facts.

Yet pretty subjective - I have had this argument numerous times.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 12:57:02 am »
I thought the Winchester 73 "Won the West".

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 12:59:54 am »

Oh, boy, here we go... Actually, I lost my '94 30/30 to the Flathead River... Looking for another... What a gun

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 01:02:14 am »
And so was the self-contained cartridge over the cap and ball. And the Dragoons were mostly too early... 'Settling the West' mainly took place in the late 1800's (circa Civil war and after).

@roamer_1

I'm betting if you had of had a chance to talk to any members of the Texas Militia or Rangers back then they would have told you different.

Yeah,the metallic cartridge was a big advancement in safety as well as reloading time,but it doesn't compare to going from single-shot handguns to revolvers with interchangeable pre-loaded cylinders. Especially not to small groups of men or individuals traveling alone and having to deal with people like Apache's and Comanche's.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 01:06:00 am »
Oh, boy, here we go... Actually, I lost my '94 30/30 to the Flathead River... Looking for another... What a gun
First rifle I ever bought was a Marlin Glenfield 30. I think I paid abt $58.00 new at FedMart. Loaned to a cousin and never returned yet. Had Williams Foolproof Peeps on it too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 01:31:05 am »
First rifle I ever bought was a Marlin Glenfield 30. I think I paid abt $58.00 new at FedMart. Loaned to a cousin and never returned yet. Had Williams Foolproof Peeps on it too.

About everyone I know started out on that Model 94 Winchester. I miss mine, I really do... At the time, I got sick and since I have been better, I replaced my carbine - But I don't walk as good anymore, and running is out of the question - With moose and griz hereabouts, I decided to up my game and got a Marlin 45/70 - the short version of the Cowboy, can't remember what it's called... No more range than that ol'd 30/30, but a big ol' hunk of lead... Makes me happy ever since I merc balanced it.

But every now and then, my hand goes down to that scabbard on the front of the seat cover in my pickup, and that ol 30/30 ain't there...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 01:38:38 am »

@Elderberry

Nope,but close. It was the brass-framed Henry Repeating Rifle that claimed that title. It later became know as the 1866 Winchester,after Winchester improved the design and started producing it. Might not seem like a big deal now,but back then having a 16 shot rifle was a definite tactical advantage when facing attacking Indians. Remember,the US Army was still armed with trapdoor Springfield single shot rifles.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 01:41:56 am »

@Elderberry

The Marlin 336 (Glenfield 30) is a MUCH better rifle than the Winchester 94.  In fact,if I were walking around wilderness trails and needed a rifle in case I ran into a bear,I would be carrying a Marlin in 45/70.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 01:42:35 am »
@Elderberry

Nope,but close. It was the brass-framed Henry Repeating Rifle that claimed that title. It later became know as the 1866 Winchester

There's a feller down toward Big Timber making those again... All that brass is puuuurty. I'll have one before I'm done.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 01:44:28 am »
I inherited a Colt single action army in .38 special a few years back.  I had never owned a handgun before, so this was a new experience.  I took it out to the country with some targets and had a complete blast with it.  It is quite loud, but tons of fun.  I absolutely love the gun.

@mrpotatohead

I didn't know Colt ever made 38 Special SAA's. Are you sure it wasn't a 38 Colt caliber?

Regardless of the type of 38,any SAA in 38 caliber is a valuable handgun. They are pretty rare.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 01:50:45 am »
A local arms dealer here has an unbelievable collection of Winchester 1894's in his huge walk-in safe.  He has carbines....long rifles.....deluxe models....everything.  I was fortunate enough to get a few of them to collect.  Sadly....I'll never shoot them.

They're around here too, but it's a different kind of shopping... They all cost about the same, but finding one that ain't all wallered out is like hen's teeth. It'll come. Like I say, that 45/70 does the trick, so long as it ain't a range war or something... More than a few of those and I have to stop and go look for my shoulder. :D

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 01:55:34 am »
@Elderberry

The Marlin 336 (Glenfield 30) is a MUCH better rifle than the Winchester 94.  In fact,if I were walking around wilderness trails and needed a rifle in case I ran into a bear,I would be carrying a Marlin in 45/70.

I've got the Marlin 1895. It's quite the gun.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 01:57:03 am »
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/594773804

I think they were fairly common.  I hope it's a .38 special or I just wasted a ton of money on shells...lol.
@sneakypete

@mrpotatohead

Unless somebody has bored the cylinders deeper so the longer 38 Special will chamber,you will find out as soon as you try to load it.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 01:59:24 am »
The 1894's are all in great shape, since they came from a museum in Canada.  The only bad part is they have import marks on them, when they were brought back to the U.S.  That is kind of the bummer part......

meh... Don't bother me none. so long as they're pre '64... Mebbe I oughta go shoppin by your house :)

Offline Idiot

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 01:59:45 am »
@mrpotatohead

Unless somebody has bored the cylinders deeper so the longer 38 Special will chamber,you will find out as soon as you try to load it.
@sneakypete
I shot a box of .38 specials through it.....works great.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016, 02:01:09 am »
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/594773804

I think they were fairly common.  I hope it's a .38 special or I just wasted a ton of money on shells...lol.
@sneakypete

The Colt SAA has been offered in over 30 different calibers:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Single_Action_Army

Offline Idiot

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016, 02:04:03 am »
meh... Don't bother me none. so long as they're pre '64... Mebbe I oughta go shoppin by your house :)
@roamer_1
Sadly they were all destroyed in that freak rainstorm a few years back that washed them down the river.  :smokin:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016, 02:08:12 am »
@roamer_1
Sadly they were all destroyed in that freak rainstorm a few years back that washed them down the river.  :smokin:

More's the pity. ; )