Author Topic: Curiosity finds a melted space metal meteorite on the surface of Mars  (Read 1463 times)

geronl

Curiosity finds a melted space metal meteorite on the surface of Mars
Since it landed on the surface of the Red Planet in 2012, the Curiosity rover has made some rather surprising finds. In the past, this has included evidence that liquid water once filled the Gale Crater, the presence of methane and organic molecules today, curious sedimentary formations, and even a strange ball-shaped rock.

And most recently, Curiosity's Mast Camera (Mastcam) captured images of what appeared to be a ball of melted metal. Known as "Egg Rock" (due to its odd, ovoid appearance) this object has been identified as a small meteorites, most likely composed of nickel and iron.

Egg Rock was first noticed in an image that was snapped by Curiosity on Oct. 28th, 2016, (or Sol 153, the 153rd day of Curiosity's mission). The rover then snapped a two-frame portrait of the meteorite (seen below) two days later (on Sol 155) and studied it using its ChemCam's Remote Micro-Imager (RMI). This provided not only a close-up of the strange object, but also a chance for chemical analysis.
exerpt

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-11-curiosity-space-metal-meteorite-surface.html#jCp

I didn't know that could happen with such a thin atmosphere

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: Curiosity finds a melted space metal meteorite on the surface of Mars
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 05:55:42 pm »
Check for the ESA logo?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 06:00:25 pm »
Well, now we know what (mars) rover poo looks like...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 06:00:43 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline r9etb

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 06:07:58 pm »

It's thick enough for parachutes to be effective for landers, so yeah.

And it's thin enough that a lot more metal (and other) meteorites survive the trip to the surface.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 06:08:34 pm by r9etb »

geronl

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 06:11:54 pm »
It's thick enough for parachutes to be effective for landers, so yeah.

barely, our landers had air bags or  rocket brakes

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 06:49:03 pm »
Curiosity finds a melted space metal meteorite on the surface of Marsexerpt

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2016-11-curiosity-space-metal-meteorite-surface.html#jCp

If the atmosphere wasn't so thin it probably would have burned up completely before it hit the ground.  Meteors on Earth can have entry speeds well in excess of 45,000 mph so even in a thin atmosphere collisions with innocent air molecules would produce very high amounts of energy. 

Offline r9etb

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 06:58:46 pm »
barely, our landers had air bags or  rocket brakes

True -- but it's enough to create weather on Mars.  And on this particular topic, it really doesn't take a lot of atmosphere to generate tremendous heat on objects moving through it at very high speed.