Author Topic: 'Doctor Strange' is expected to draw a massive audience for Disney's Marvel Studios  (Read 862 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Ryan Faughnder
Los Angeles Times
November 1, 2016

Marvel Studios’ “Doctor Strange” is expected to draw a massive audience this weekend, providing some much needed medicine for Hollywood during a bruising fall box office season.

Analysts expect the visually stylish Benedict Cumberbatch comic book movie to collect $65 million to $75 million in ticket sales from the United States and Canada through Sunday. Some more optimistic industry observers predict the film, about a former neurosurgeon who harnesses mystical powers, may reach $80 million in domestic grosses...

"Doctor Strange is a C-level Marvel character, and the fact that you can pull an $80-million debut is ludicrous when you think about it." ...
More

Wikipedia - Doctor Strange - character

Wikipedia - Doctor Strange - film

Official site

IMDb

Rotten Tomatoes

Metacritic

Box Office Mojo

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Ryan Faughnder
Los Angeles Times
November 1, 2016
More

Wikipedia - Doctor Strange - character

Wikipedia - Doctor Strange - film

Official site

IMDb

Rotten Tomatoes

Metacritic

Box Office Mojo

Yeah, it says a lot about our culture that so many financially successful feature films these days are from comic books, not literature.

To be fair, one of the only comic books I liked as a kid was Dr. Strange. It was a lot more violent than most of the others in a realistic way. It somehow seemed more manly to me (from a boy's perspective).

The fact that Hollywood is pushing the homo Cumberbatch as some sort of macho role model is a little disturbing. But no more disturbing I suppose than Rock Hudson.

I just sort of assume that EVERYONE in Hollywood is a homo. In fact, you could probably call it Homowood and be just about right on the button.

The few stars who aren't queer are either leftist drug addicts or psychopaths or both. Normal people who are also stars are few and far between.

Hell, even Robert DeNiro turned out to be a drug-sucking freak. I'd forgotten until I read again recently that De Niro was one of the last people to see John Belushi alive on the day he died from a "speedball" overdose.  Even more recently Lenny Dykstra (who has no reason to lie that I know of) reported going on a weekend coke binge with De Niro just a year or so ago. Disappointing. De Niro has done so many great roles. Sad to think that he is just like Harrison Ford - a hopeless, drug-sucking old geezer who needs stimulants to get "up" for his roles.   

Sorry about the tangent. I didn't mean to hijack your thread, boss.

The reviews are good for this flick.  Maybe they actually got it right.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:48:30 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
Yeah, it says a lot about our culture that so many financially successful feature films these days are from comic books, not literature.

To be fair, one of the only comic books I liked as a kid was Dr. Strange. It was a lot more violent than most of the others in a realistic way. It somehow seemed more manly to me (from a boy's perspective).

The fact that Hollywood is pushing the homo Cumberbatch as some sort of macho role model is a little disturbing. But no more disturbing I suppose than Rock Hudson.

I just sort of assume that EVERYONE in Hollywood is a homo. In fact, you could probably call it Homowood and be just about right on the button.

The few stars who aren't queer are either leftist drug addicts or psychopaths or both. Normal people who are also stars are few and far between.

Hell, even Robert DeNiro turned out to be a drug-sucking freak. I'd forgotten until I read again recently that De Niro was one of the last people to see John Belushi alive on the day he died from a "speedball" overdose.  Even more recently Lenny Dykstra (who has no reason to lie that I know of) reported going on a weekend coke binge with De Niro just a year or so ago. Disappointing. De Niro has done so many great roles. Sad to think that he is just like Harrison Ford - a hopeless, drug-sucking old geezer who needs stimulants to get "up" for his roles.   

Sorry about the tangent. I didn't mean to hijack your thread, boss.

The reviews are good for this flick.  Maybe they actually got it right.
Cumberbund is a little easier to take seriously than Rock Hudson. Just watched him in The Undefeated a while back. His hat was.... fabulous...
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
I've got tickets to see it this coming Saturday night!   :thumbsup:
Let it burn.