Author Topic: Microsoft stops sales of Windows 7 Professional to OEMs; Sticks a Fork in the World's Most Popular Operating System  (Read 7700 times)

Offline roamer_1

Hasn't happened to me since windows 98.

My server is ASUS /6core AMD Phenom, never woke up from sleep a day in it's life.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Would I be able to run XP (or, for that matter, WIN 98SE) based programs in Linux? Are there windows emulators which will permit that, or am I going to need more horsepower than the single core 1,7 Ghz processors with 2GB of RAM (Maxed out)?

Horsepower should not be an issue (if the programs could run on that machine under XP).

Getting the programs to run using a program called wine on Linux?  Maybe.  I really don't know.  It worked for the program I wanted to run (Starcraft).  If you're looking at saving $12K I'd think it's worth an afternoon trying.  Of course if it breaks down the road you've got no real support, but I suppose you don't with XP either.

If that doesn't work, you could run Linux as your OS and use KVM and install XP as a virtual machine (with your data files on a seperate virtual drive in case you need to reinstall XP).  Then, perhaps, you make a copy of the VM just after you get it all set up and running so you can simply "set the date back" every few weeks.   [Note: I do not know or care anything about MS software licensing.  I said you could, I didn't say you should].

There may be solutions from VMware (Workstation) or MS (HyperV) that would allow you to avoid Linux completely.  Performance will probably be better with a Linux OS and XP VM (vs using a MS OS), but then you need to learn at least a little Linux.

BTW, while looking something up related to this response, I came onto something called Virtualbox.  Might be worth looking into.

Now, one more time, "if it breaks down the road you've got no real support".
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
My server is ASUS /6core AMD Phenom, never woke up from sleep a day in it's life.

With Linux it seems to be a problem with X11, or whatever it's called, when it would wake up from sleep you get a mouse, blank grey screen and maybe an X in the middle? Happened to me multiple times.  :shrug:

Maybe it was something I do wrong, but my windows 10 laptop is able to sleep and wakeup properly every time I try it.

Offline roamer_1

Horsepower should not be an issue (if the programs could run on that machine under XP).
There may be solutions from VMware (Workstation) or MS (HyperV) that would allow you to avoid Linux completely.  Performance will probably be better with a Linux OS and XP VM (vs using a MS OS), but then you need to learn at least a little Linux.

Not on that hardware... Single core 1.7g w/ 2g ram ain't got the steam for VM. Might as well forget that right out the gate - Though again, it is a possibility if he gets into some newer used hardware. Dual core 1.5+ 64b with plenty of extra ram, and then maybe.

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer
@Smokin Joe
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 01:48:49 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I have run everything from DOS 1.0 to Windows 10 and find Windows 10 to be the most capable and stable of the lot!

And I'll bet you you can run your software on it as well Joe.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

With Linux it seems to be a problem with X11, or whatever it's called,

A few minutes ago you claimed to be a Linux SA.

Then you post "X11, or whatever it's called".

WTF?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

• Technical
A few minutes ago you claimed to be a Linux SA.

Then you post "X11, or whatever it's called".

WTF?

Almost never install a GUI in Linux. Too much trouble. I will install when my boss wants to use it.

Not on that hardware... Single core 1.7g w/ 2g ram ain't got the steam for VM. Might as well forget that right out the gate - Though again, it is a possibility if he gets into some newer used hardware. Dual core 1.5+ 64b with plenty of extra ram, and then maybe.

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer
@Smokin Joe

It's almost certainly got the steam for wine or KVM (again, assuming the HW was enough just running under XP).  Multiple cores and extra RAM do nothing if you're not actually using them.

Not sure about a MS OS.  If it sucks up CPU/RAM doing nothing... then maybe he's toast.

Almost never install a GUI in Linux. Too much trouble. I will install when my boss wants to use it.

Trouble?   Seriously?  One mouse click either way?

And BTW, as of next year it will be referred to as X11 for three decades.

• Technical
Trouble?   Seriously?  One mouse click either way?

And BTW, as of next year it will be referred to as X11 for three decades.

Well, it's too much trouble to log in and start a GUI session. Would rather just shell in.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
You have to have Win7Pro to do it, but have you tried installing in XP compat mode?

Just spitballing.

I can get XP to play nice, but I don't know about legality - if it is now 'abandonware' then Yohoho and a bottle of rum!  :shrug:

But it'll take me a bit to load up a test machine... so nothing right off the bat...

Try the phone number route.
First, thank you (and everyone else who has weighed in)

I will try the phone number route. At present I have six machines still running XP, and two with no OS. I'm reasonably good with the hardware end of things, but left in the dust on the software end. I was hoping to use existing equipment. As for compatibility in Win 7, I don't have it, so I can't try the compatibility mode. I may see if I can pick up a Win7 Pro machine to try that.

I was on the verge of upgrading everything when the oil patch imploded here (well, the drilling end, anyway). At that point I hunkered down and kept the cash to live off of.

The old stuff did the job I needed to do, but now, the machines I have are getting old, and I'd like to put the others to use.

I may just have to bite the bullet and update everything, but that would mean a whole new set of quirks and problems, and knowing everything cold is important in a really fast-paced environment. A 'surprise' that costs you an hour can be devastating in terms of time management.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 06:04:00 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

First, thank you (and everyone else who has weighed in)

Of course, you're welcome.

I will try the phone number route.

Please do - the most proper and legit solution would be best.
If that don't work out, then PM me.