Author Topic: Microsoft stops sales of Windows 7 Professional to OEMs; Sticks a Fork in the World's Most Popular Operating System  (Read 7631 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: COMPUTERWORLD

URL: http://www.computerworld.com/article/3137430/windows-pcs/microsoft-stops-sales-of-windows-7-professional-to-oems.html

Gregg Keizer By Gregg Keizer 

Microsoft today quietly put an end to sales of Windows 7 licenses to computer makers, marking a major milestone for the seven-year-old OS.

According to Microsoft's rules, the Redmond, Wash. company stopped selling Windows 7 Professional or any version of Windows 8.1 to OEMs (original equipment manufacturers) as of Oct. 31.

The end of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 left only Windows 10 as a long-term choice for OEMs that pre-load Windows on their wares.

The original end-of-sales deadline for Windows 7 Professional was to be Oct. 31, 2014 -- two years after the launch of Windows 8 -- but early that year Microsoft broke with practice and only called for an end to consumer systems. It left open the cut-off for Windows 7 Professional, saying it would give a one-year warning before it demanded that OEMs stop selling PCs with that edition.

Microsoft issued that warning a year ago.

Organizations with enterprise licensing agreements and Software Assurance -- the annuity-like program that provides additional rights -- may continue to purchase new PCs, then downgrade the OS from the already-installed Windows 10 to Windows 7 if they want to keep using the older edition.

And new Windows 7 Professional PCs won't vanish immediately; OEMs will be allowed to use what licenses they have in stock.

For example, Dell's online store today still listed 17 different notebook configurations equipped with Windows 7 Professional. The same goes for smaller computer sellers, like Puget Systems, an Auburn, Wash. custom PC maker: Such shops can continue to build new Windows 7 Professional PCs until their supply of licenses dries up.

Microsoft pulled the plug on Windows 7 even though it remains the most popular operating system on the planet. Windows 7 has lost about a fifth of its user share since the mid-2015 launch of Windows 10, but according to U.S. analytics vendor Net Applications, it powered 48% of all personal computers in October, more than twice Windows 10's share.

Windows 7 support is to continue until January 2020, giving users just over three years to migrate to another operating system.

Offline Frank Cannon

Windows 10 is garbage. I had to downgrade my laptop to 7 because it was totally unstable on 10.

Oceander

I suffered through several years of Vista.  Now I have Pro7, but it's still in the box. 

I still have - or had up until Sunday, when the power jack stopped working - a Vista system from 2009 that I've used as my primary system.  It is/was a big 17" DTR HP and is/was still able to keep up with the 'nets and all.  I'm hoping I can get into the guts of it soon and replace the power jack, or fix any shorts that might be there.  It is/was an awesome system.

Personally, though, I'm getting closer and closer to switching over to a linux-based system (with a GUI, of course) instead of purchasing new Windows-based systems all the time.  It gets really, really annoying having the OS change every 2 years; I do basic management of all home systems and I now have to contend with everything from a single WinXP Pro system (DIY server - no emails, thx!) to the new 14" laptop I just bought for work that runs Win10.  I got really spoilt with WinXP running for so long.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Windows 10 is garbage. I had to downgrade my laptop to 7 because it was totally unstable on 10.

Really? I find it very stable. 8 was garbage imo.

Offline montanajoe

Planned obsolescence in the 50's and 60's gave us a bunch of new cars and other stuff at a competitive price, planned obsolescence today gives us a inferior product at a higher price
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 01:55:18 am by montanajoe »

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom

I agree, but I upgraded mine, my wife's and my mother-in-law to Linux Mint

Oceander

Agree that's an upgrade.  My daughter would probably be fine with it; my wife would not. 

Offline montanajoe

Agree that's an upgrade.  My daughter would probably be fine with it; my wife would not.

I guess my question is ... an upgrade for who?

I have a Win98 box that has never been connected to the Internet that I keep some of my important records on, It works just fine on the rare occasions I fire it up.
"Upgrades" as they are called seem to be only aimed at  more efficiently giving your personal data away...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:02:27 am by montanajoe »

Oceander

I guess my question is ... an upgrade for who?

I have a Win98 box that has never been connected to the Internet that I keep some of my important records on, It works just fine on the rare occasions I fire it up.
"Upgrades" as they are called seem to be only aimed at  more efficiently giving your personal data away...

Depends on what you need it for.  I mess around with graphic design on occasion, for which I use one of two graphics editors:  GIMP or CorelDRAW.  A Win98 system couldn't run those programs, period.  For that I need a newer system and, importantly, an OS that can utilize that system.  As a simple example, WinXP32 could not access memory addresses greater than about 3.25GB.  To access greater memory, one needs an OS that can do so.  Also, clock speed matters.  Even with the greater amount of memory, the graphics editors I use would be useless if the system they ran on ran at the same clock speeds as the hardware that came with Win98.

Conversely, if all you're doing is using it to store rarely-accessed data, and it never sees the internet - and you never install new programs on it - then the old Win98 machine will do just fine until the hardware itself burns out.

I have an old system that I use as a DIY home server for image files.  It's an old Dell that I bought when it came off lease from some big company and has WinXP Pro on it.  It's basically just a glorified file server, never accesses the internet, and I haven't installed anything on it since I set up the Apache and MySQL servers on it.  So long as the hardware runs, I don't see any need to monkey with it.  I have another old Dell that I rescued from the junk room at the apartment building we used to live in, and I have it set to dual boot WinXP and linux (can't remember the flavor right now); that works just fine for me.  In fact, one of the things linux is good for is keeping old hardware useful because you can find linux variants that are safe and up-to-date which will work on older hardware the way that an updated version of Windows would not.

Offline Frank Cannon

Aw geez. Here we go with the Linux followers. They make Moonies look reasonable....

Oceander

Aw geez. Here we go with the Linux followers. They make Moonies look reasonable....

Cute.  I like both Windows and linux, but don't care for Mac because it's too bespoke.  Where does that put me?

Offline Frank Cannon

Cute.  I like both Windows and linux, but don't care for Mac because it's too bespoke.  Where does that put me?

As long as you hate Apple, who cares.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
DAMN! And just when I had almost decided to take the plunge and upgrade to Win 7, Microsoft is always in such a hurry they don't give me time to make a decision. :shrug:

• Technical

I use Linux professionally at work. Maybe it's an OCD thing I have about using LInux as a stricly server system, but I have never liked anything but Ubuntu on the desktop. I did not have a good time with Linux Mint getting things like sleep and drivers to work.

Oceander

As long as you hate Apple, who cares.

Hate is such a strong word.  I have an iPhone 6 so I'm not a hater, just a disliker.

Offline Just_Victor

Is there really such a thing as a Windows "fanboy?"

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Hurricane Andrew

DAMN! And just when I had almost decided to take the plunge and upgrade to Win 7, Microsoft is always in such a hurry they don't give me time to make a decision. :shrug:
If 7+ years isn't enough time, I doubt any length of time would be. 
There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
If 7+ years isn't enough time, I doubt any length of time would be.
Well I belong to the school of  "If it ain't broke don't fix it". So far this old XP system has done and is doing everything I need it to, it may not be blazing fast, but it runs all the programs I need just fine.

Offline Frank Cannon

Not really. We're more of just stuck in a rut group. I started out with Windows 3.0 and it did everything I wanted, so why change to some other OS. Same thing for android with me. I bought a new phone to upgrade my S4. Thought I would look into the new Apple stuff. Left the store with an S7. Don't see any point to changing something I already like.

• Technical
Not really. We're more of just stuck in a rut group. I started out with Windows 3.0 and it did everything I wanted, so why change to some other OS. Same thing for android with me. I bought a new phone to upgrade my S4. Thought I would look into the new Apple stuff. Left the store with an S7. Don't see any point to changing something I already like.

I'd consider myself a "Windows on the DT, LInux on server" fanboy. I'm OCD like that.

People praise Linux Mint but man, I had a lot of problems with it, almost all driver issues.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 07:28:01 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Mac user here, since 1987 (Apple // before that).

I've used Windows a few times.
I'm quite good with the Mac OS, but trying to do anything with Windows leaves me dazed and confused.

If Apple ever drops the Mac OS (or converts it into something more resembling the iOS), I think I'll move over to Linux. I've actually tried a few Linux distros, and it seems "learnable" to me in my declining old age…  ;)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 01:17:42 am by Fishrrman »

Oceander

Yes, although we call most of them hackers.  :silly:

Oceander

Mac user here, since 1987 (Apple // before that).

I've used Windows a few times.
I'm quite good with the Mac OS, but trying to do anything with Windows leaves me dazed and confused.

If Apple ever drops the Mac OS (or converts it into something more resembling the iOS), I think I'll move over to Linux. I've actually tried a few Linux distros, and it seems "learnable" to me in my declining old age…  ;)

It goes the same if you're trying to move from Windows to Mac.  There are some fundamental conceptual differences that we take for granted until we're faced with them.  Moving from Mac to linux should definitely be easier than moving to Windows, or even moving from Windows to linux since the Mac OSes have more similarities with *nix systems than with Windows.

• Technical
I found Mac not really all that usable at all, frankly. I'm way more productive in Windows or Linux/Unix (I use Solaris and HP-UX at work)

Oceander

I found Mac not really all that usable at all, frankly. I'm way more productive in Windows or Linux/Unix (I use Solaris and HP-UX at work)

I used to use Mac back in the mid 1990s when I was finishing my undergrad degree - the school computer labs had only Macs - but since then I've predominantly used Windows and a very little bit of linux for the servers I do amateur maintenance on.