Author Topic: U.S. energy production, consumption has changed significantly since 1908  (Read 2067 times)

Offline thackney

U.S. energy production, consumption has changed significantly since 1908http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=28592
NOVEMBER 1, 2016

On Tuesday, the Cleveland Indians are set to host the Chicago Cubs in game six of the 2016 Major League Baseball World Series. In the 68 years since the last title for the Cleveland Indians, and the 108 years since the last World Series title for the Chicago Cubs, energy production and consumption patterns in the United States have changed a great deal.

In 1908, the last time the Cubs won the World Series, the United States produced less than half a million barrels per day (b/d) of oil, with crude oil production having only started approximately 50 years earlier. At that time, crude oil was mainly refined to produce kerosene for use in lamps. The first Ford Model T automobile was produced in 1908, kicking off a shift in demand for petroleum products from kerosene for lamps to gasoline for automobiles.

The last time the Chicago Cubs made a World Series appearance, in 1945, the United States was producing 4.6 million b/d of crude oil. Production had been steadily increasing in the decades prior, as the economy grew and industry expanded following the Great Depression.

The last time the Cleveland Indians won the World Series, in 1948, the United States produced 5.5 million b/d of crude oil. Crude oil production had been steadily increasing since declines in the 1930s and would continue to increase until production declines in the 1970s. More recently, in 1997, the last time the Cleveland Indians appeared in the World Series, the United States produced 6.4 million b/d of oil, falling to the production levels of the 1950s.

The consumption of energy in the United States has also changed significantly over the past hundred years. In 1908, the country consumed just 15 quadrillion British thermal units (Btu), of which three-quarters was coal. By the time the Cubs made their last World Series appearance, total energy consumption in the country had doubled. Coal was still the main fuel, but petroleum had also become a large source of energy consumption.

In comparison, the last time the Indians appeared in the World Series (1997), U.S. energy consumption had increased to totals closer to those seen today. Consumption in 1997 totaled 94 quadrillion Btu. Coal’s share had fallen to one-quarter of total consumption, and natural gas and nuclear made up a large share. Since then, the shares of natural gas and other renewables used to generate electricity have increased, resulting in a lower share of coal generation.

The share of nonhydro renewable consumption is actually lower today (10%) than it was in 1908 (15%). This is a factor of both lower energy consumption as a whole and a large amount of biomass (in this case wood) consumption 100 years ago. Today, while the nonhydro renewable share of total energy consumption is lower than in 1908, solar and wind generation continue to increase and make up a large percentage of total nonhydro renewables.

Despite the changes in fuel sources, fossil fuels have continued to make up a large percentage of U.S. energy consumption. In 1908, fossil fuels accounted for 85% of total consumption. When the Indians won the World Series in 1948, that share had increased to 91%, as petroleum and natural gas had begun to account for increasing amounts of energy consumption. Fossil fuel consumption has fallen in recent years, accounting for 81% of total consumption in 2015.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: U.S. energy production, consumption has changed significantly since 1908
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 09:59:16 pm »
As a technical guy in industry, I swell with pride as it is quite telling that the last few years has had the sharpest rise ever in production.

Scares the hell out of the renewable lobbies, which must right now be cashing all-in for a Hillary Presidency to keep their shell-game of govt supports propped up.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 03:12:34 pm »
As a technical guy in industry, I swell with pride as it is quite telling that the last few years has had the sharpest rise ever in production.

Scares the hell out of the renewable lobbies, which must right now be cashing all-in for a Hillary Presidency to keep their shell-game of govt supports propped up.

Too damn many "Republicans" also are supporting the so-called "renewable" industry too. Enough that the subsidies were passed in Congress again this year.

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 09:16:24 pm »
Too damn many "Republicans" also are supporting the so-called "renewable" industry too. Enough that the subsidies were passed in Congress again this year.

And that is a chief reason why we need a person like Trump to take on the political class.

There are very few honest politicians left, all GOP now like Ted Cruz, Louie Gohmert and Mike Lee.  The Dems bolted from theirs in Zell Miller and Joe Lieberman, and they will never again have any patriots in their midst.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 02:08:30 pm »
Trump is also pushing renewables like ethanol.  He has stated he wants to grow the federal mandate and use the EPA to enforce it.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 06:39:15 pm »
Trump is also pushing renewables like ethanol.  He has stated he wants to grow the federal mandate and use the EPA to enforce it.

Well, we'll see how much of a push that really will be.

If in fact he supports coal, that will be the opposite push of a renewable subsidy which will cost the govt kitty much more and results in far less jobs.

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 06:48:31 pm »
Well, we'll see how much of a push that really will be.

If in fact he supports coal, that will be the opposite push of a renewable subsidy which will cost the govt kitty much more and results in far less jobs.

Trump insider: New administration won't attack renewable energy
http://www.utilitydive.com/news/trump-energy-policy/430205/
Nov. 11, 2016

The president-elect will not move to revoke wind and solar subsidies, according to a major Trump financial contributor who said he is a member of the transition team.

There has been a lot of angst in the renewable power sector over what the Trump presidency will mean, but according to a Trump insider, renewable energy will not be in the new president’s sights when he takes office in January.

The day after the election, shares of solar power companies like SolarCity, SunPower and Vivint Solar cratered, as did wind turbine maker Vestas, while shares of coal company Peabody Energy jumped more than 50%. But those drastic movements may not prove to be an accurate reflection of the realities the energy sector will face under Trump’s presidency.

“Energy is not one of the top five agenda items” on Trump’s to-do list when he takes office in January, according to a major Trump financial contributor who said he is a member of the transition team and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The top issues on that agenda are tax reform, immigration, reforming health care (Obamacare), infrastructure, and trade.

“Everything with renewables continues; the credits will remain in place,” he said....

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 02:54:03 pm »
Trump insider: New administration won't attack renewable energy
http://www.utilitydive.com/news/trump-energy-policy/430205/
Nov. 11, 2016

The president-elect will not move to revoke wind and solar subsidies, according to a major Trump financial contributor who said he is a member of the transition team.

There has been a lot of angst in the renewable power sector over what the Trump presidency will mean, but according to a Trump insider, renewable energy will not be in the new president’s sights when he takes office in January.

The day after the election, shares of solar power companies like SolarCity, SunPower and Vivint Solar cratered, as did wind turbine maker Vestas, while shares of coal company Peabody Energy jumped more than 50%. But those drastic movements may not prove to be an accurate reflection of the realities the energy sector will face under Trump’s presidency.

“Energy is not one of the top five agenda items” on Trump’s to-do list when he takes office in January, according to a major Trump financial contributor who said he is a member of the transition team and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The top issues on that agenda are tax reform, immigration, reforming health care (Obamacare), infrastructure, and trade.

“Everything with renewables continues; the credits will remain in place,” he said....

He does have an anti global warming activist on his transition team and rumors have it he'll appoint him to the EPA....

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 11:53:19 pm »
He does have an anti global warming activist on his transition team and rumors have it he'll appoint him to the EPA....

Most of the people I know are anti-global warming activists as they wish a better standard of living than a hundred years ago.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 12:12:53 am »
I finally broke down and let them put a smart meter on my pole and I am amazed at how much I've been able to cut my usage and bill. Last year at this time I was looking at bills over $150 per month now I'm looking at a bill under $70.

I really like being able to monitor my usage by day but I wish it was in real time.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 12:43:01 am »
Most of the people I know are anti-global warming activists as they wish a better standard of living than a hundred years ago.

So,if that's what they want, wouldn't they be pro-global warming?

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 02:02:12 pm »
So,if that's what they want, wouldn't they be pro-global warming?

One had to think rationally in order to become one of those.