Author Topic: Wikileaks - Screen Every Child Annuaully for Drug Use  (Read 565 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Wikileaks - Screen Every Child Annuaully for Drug Use
« on: November 01, 2016, 03:29:04 pm »
Buried in a back and forth discussion on a drug policy speech is this little proposed gem for a policy suggestion (I snipped out most of the email thread as it is long)...

....On the screening point, will let policy get into details, but it's the major pillar of the 'prevention' goal. Would folks be more comfortable if it said something like [CAPS=ADDITION] "ensuring every child and teenager is annually screened for substance use DISORDERS, JUST AS THEY ARE ALREADY SCREENED FOR OTHER ILLNESSES"? schools and doctors regularly screen for all sorts of diseases, and substance abuse screening /= random drug testing. On the "specialized facilities," the stat comes from the NIH's National Institute on Drug Abuse and includes all facilities licensed or certified by state substance abuse agencies to provide treatment. So think it's easy to answer Politifact when they try to get cute. + Ann, per Maya's add On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 6:45 PM, Nick Merrill <nmerrill@hillaryclinton.com> wrote: I'm piling on at this point, but without knowing the background or the particulars, the mandatory testing piece is troubling to me. Not to mention I probably wouldn't have passed at times in my younger years...I bet I'm not the only one.* And on the statistic about 2.5 million people receiving treatment at a "specialized facility," can someone explain what that means? Just want to make sure we're not trying to be too cute, that there aren't perfectly viable treatment alternatives that lie outside of the term. Our friends from PolitiFact as always in the back of my mind. *(Joel?) On Aug 16, 2015, at 6:13 PM, Jesse Ferguson <jferguson@hillaryclinton.com> wrote: Flagging - goal had been to get this to HRC on Saturday night but it has been held till tonight as the other elements of the rollout (video, etc.) are debated. AKA - ideally would like to send it in tonight for her review so we can have final on Monday for Wednesday AM placement. -----Original Message----- From: Mandy Grunwald [mailto:gruncom@aol.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 16, 2015 5:47 PM
To: Karen Finney <kfinney@hillaryclinton.com>
Cc: Joel Benenson <jbenenson@bsgco.com>; Kristina Costa
<kcosta@hillaryclinton.com>; Tony Carrk <tcarrk@hillaryclinton.com>;
Speech Drafts <speechdrafts@hillaryclinton.com>; Ian Sams
<isams@hillaryclinton.com>; Dan Schwerin <dschwerin@hillaryclinton.com>;
Jesse Ferguson <jferguson@hillaryclinton.com>
Subject: Re: In review: substance abuse op-ed
And one more thing. Should we mention the growing problem of synthetics? Mandy Grunwald Grunwald Communications 202 973-9400 >> On Aug 16, 2015, at 5:18 PM, Karen Finney <kfinney@hillaryclinton.com> > wrote: > > Last question/comment I promise - did we engage urban leaders in the > development of the plan? > > Sent from my iPhone > >> On Aug 16, 2015, at 5:15 PM, Joel Benenson <jbenenson@bsgco.com> wrote: >> >> Democrats are going to have a field day with it. It is also probably unconstitutional violation of 4th amendment, isn't it? >> >> Sent from my iPad >> >>> On Aug 16, 2015, at 3:10 PM, Karen Finney <kfinney@hillaryclinton.com> wrote: >>> >>> The only thing that stood out to me was annual drug screening for >>> children and teenagers, could see the GOP having a field day. Can we >>> explain that one a little more? >>> >>> Sent from my iPhone >>> >>>> On Aug 15, 2015, at 6:42 PM, Kristina Costa <kcosta@hillaryclinton.com> wrote: >>>> >>>> Folks -- >>>> >>>> At Dan's request, passing along a draft HRC op-ed to accompany the substance abuse prevention initiative fact sheet rolling out midweek. Maya, Ann, Sara, Zach, and Ian have all reviewed, edited, and commented. It's now with Tony/research for a fact-check before going up in the book. >>>> >>>> Thanks, >>>> >>>> Kristina....

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/40041