Author Topic: Where does Jeff Bezos foresee putting space colonists? Inside O’Neill cylinders  (Read 1092 times)

Offline kevindavis007

SpaceX’s Elon Musk wants to settle humans on Mars. Others talk about a Moon Village. But Seattle billionaire Jeff Bezos has a different kind of off-Earth home in mind when he talks about having millions of people living and working in space.

His long-range vision focuses on a decades-old concept for huge artificial habitats that are best known today as O’Neill cylinders.

The concept was laid out in 1976 in a classic book by physicist Gerard O’Neill, titled “The High Frontier.” The idea is to create cylinder-shaped structures in outer space, and give them enough of a spin that residents on the inner surface of the cylinder could live their lives in Earth-style gravity. The habitat’s interior would be illuminated either by reflected sunlight or sunlike artificial light.

O’Neill cylinders and their ilk have become a standby for hard science-fiction stories. For example, in Kim Stanley Robinson’s “2312,” hollowed-out asteroids known as “terraria” house communities that travel back and forth between planets. In the movie “Interstellar,” Matthew McConaghey’s character finds himself inside an O’Neill-type outpost named Cooper Station near Saturn.

Bezos is said to have talked up the concept in the 1980s, when he was a starry-eyed student at Princeton. Three decades later, he’s the CEO of Amazon with a net worth estimated at $67 billion, and with his own space venture called Blue Origin.

So far, Blue Origin has launched a reusable rocket ship called New Shepard on uncrewed suborbital test flights. But Bezos has much bigger ambitions, for an orbital launch system called New Glenn and a super-rocket called New Armstrong.

During last weekend’s Pathfinder Awards banquet at Seattle’s Museum of Flight, Bezos referred to his long-term goal of having millions of people living and working in space, as well as his enabling goal of creating the “heavy lifting infrastructure” to make that happen.

Read More: http://www.isn-news.net/2016/10/where-does-jeff-bezos-foresee-putting.html
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
I used to be all for space exploration and exploitation. But old age and cynicism have tempered my enthusiasm. I now don't believe we will ever build habitats like this unless there is a clear and compelling reason to do so, with immediate (not 10-20-30 years down the road) benefits to be seen.   :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline thackney

His long-range vision focuses on a decades-old concept for huge artificial habitats that are best known today as O’Neill cylinders.

The concept was laid out in 1976 in a classic book by physicist Gerard O’Neill, titled “The High Frontier.”

Wasn't this concept laid out earlier in Arthur C. Clarke's 1973 "Rendezvous with Rama"?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Oceander

Wasn't this concept laid out earlier in Arthur C. Clarke's 1973 "Rendezvous with Rama"?

Loved that book!!

Online Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me

The Big Dumb Object named "Rama" in the book was the same kind of cylindrical habitat described by O'Neill, although it was an interstellar spaceship and not just a satellite revolving around a planet or star.  I checked in Wikipedia, and the publication date for "Rendezvous with Rama" beat the first publication of O'Neill's "cylinder" idea by several months at least. So, apparently score another one for Arthur C. Clarke. (He was also the first to describe communications satellites, which he did in 1934.)

P.S. - don't click that link.
Let it burn.