Author Topic: The Lonely Life of a Republican Woman  (Read 19480 times)

Offline sinkspur

The Lonely Life of a Republican Woman
« on: October 27, 2016, 06:26:17 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/27/opinion/the-lonely-life-of-a-republican-woman.html

The Lonely Life of a Republican Woman

By S.E. CUPP
OCT. 27, 2016

As has become typical in an election marked by its often unpleasant surprises, I awoke to a storm of outrage on Twitter on Wednesday morning. Newt Gingrich had told Fox’s Megyn Kelly that she was “fascinated with sex” and didn’t “care about public policy.”

Mr. Gingrich unleashed this boorish attack after Ms. Kelly tried to pin him down on whether the many accusations of sexual assault against Donald J. Trump, and his own words on the matter, should disqualify him from the presidency.

That Mr. Gingrich (with whom I once hosted a television show) thought the best way to deflect attention from Mr. Trump’s awful behavior with women was to attack another woman tells you so much about the depths to which Mr. Trump has dragged the Republican Party.

It’s also a sobering harbinger of how hard it’s going to be for the party to win back Republican women, let alone appeal to new female voters in the future.

As a conservative woman who wanted very much to support the Republican nominee, it’s been a deeply disappointing year and a half. After helping the Republican National Committee address some of the troubling deficiencies the party faced after 2012, as outlined in its so-called autopsy report, and witnessing some real progress in our outreach to women in the ensuing years, I did not expect an egomaniacal arsonist to come along and set all that ablaze.

More at link
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:32:19 am by Machiavelli »
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline rodamala

Re: The Lonely Life of a Republican Woman
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 07:01:35 pm »
S.E., sweetie, you need not be lonely anymore.

I'm on the way.  You'll be finding G-d (screaming his name, actually), soon enough.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 07:24:15 pm »
I'd let her eat crackers in my bed, though I'm not so sure my wife would approve...  :silly:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 07:25:39 pm »

I'm on the way.  You'll be finding G-d (screaming his name, actually), soon enough.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dorsey/some-excellent-se-cupp-gifs-to-help-get-you-through-your-day?utm_term=.rqy0lKb85#.bdwj4017p

Online AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 07:31:44 pm »
To all the men who've responded, your replies are very Trumpian. What business do we have to criticize his Orangeness if our side sounds like him? Is there anything of merit you can comment on from S.E.'s article?

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline rodamala

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 07:40:59 pm »
To all the men who've responded, your replies are very Trumpian. What business do we have to criticize his Orangeness if our side sounds like him? Is there anything of merit you can comment on from S.E.'s article?

What would Laz do?

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 07:45:14 pm »
Exactly.  The article echoes exactly the same comments my wife had when she explained why she had decided to vote for Clinton: because Trump was pulling the country backwards in terms of how women were treated.  And I feel similarly.  I will never vote for Clinton, but I cannot vote for Trump. 

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 07:48:43 pm »

Have to agree..you criticize Trump for his sexist comments yet you do the same :whistle:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 07:51:15 pm »

I never said anything about grabbing her..... oh forget it.  22222frying pan
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 07:54:06 pm »

Good grief.  Just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't look at the menu.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 08:01:46 pm »

I check out hot women-my wife knows it-notices me doing it.  She saw a attractive guy a few weeks back and commented how easy on the eyes he was.

As another has mentioned you can look at the menu just can't order.

@AllThatJazzZ

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 08:05:01 pm »
It takes only a moment to see this Clinton media piece belongs in the circular file.

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 09:27:22 pm »
S.E. made some excellent observations about salvaging the conservative brand, but apparently she didn't do a good enough job making that point considering that the first three replies on this thread are blatantly sexual in nature. One might expect it from the Trumpsters since he's their standard bearer, but it's especially disturbing when such replies come from NeverTrumpers. Obviously Trump isn't the only man who has a blind spot regarding how to appropriately relate to women.

This stuff's not cute. It's not funny. It's juvenile (can you say "Donald Trump?") and even locker room-ish (again, "Donald Trump?"). Yet here it is on a political discussion forum where time and again we've discussed what a major league jerk Trump is. Is he a jerk only when it serves our needs? When the election is over and he goes back to objectifying women, will y'all be standing in the wings applauding him?

Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 09:39:36 pm »
It takes only a moment to see this Clinton media piece belongs in the circular file.

I don't know.  Looks like something R_I_V would post .

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 10:17:43 pm »
"...I awoke to a storm of outrage on Twitter..."

Society will be so much better when this phrase is removed from our lexicon.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 10:21:24 pm »
I don't know.  Looks like something R_I_V would post .
Love the expression on the kids. Something like "Who's this weirdo," or "dang his hands are almost as small as mine".
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 10:45:06 pm »
I check out hot women-my wife knows it-notices me doing it.  She saw a attractive guy a few weeks back and commented how easy on the eyes he was.

As another has mentioned you can look at the menu just can't order.

@AllThatJazzZ
My wife agrees. She has a thing for Jeff Gordon. One time I asked her if Jeff Gordon showed up on our doorstep, would she run away with him. She answered......Jeff Gordon would never show up on our doorstep.
Now I ask you....have you ever in your life heard such a ringing affirmation of marital love?  :thud:

Silver Pines

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 11:11:08 pm »
Frankly these posts from the guys don't bother me.  They're using normal language to just express the fact that they find a woman hot.  Men do that.  It's normal.  I'm a happily married woman but I can watch a movie or TV show and say, "Wow, that is a fine hunk of man right there."  My husband doesn't have a problem with it. 

Again, the problem isn't what Trump said, it's his behavior.  The men on the forum aren't claiming that they get away with grabbing women's genitals.  If that were the case, they'd deserve condemnation.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 11:26:05 pm »

I got a better picture....

BTW, she claimed she was a libertarian so why does she care about Republican women?

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 11:28:48 pm »
OK. I'm starting to understand now. I'm a newbie, so be patient while I catch up.

If S.E. had been an ordinary-looking woman, this thread would have:
1. Had some thoughtful replies on it, or
2. Dropped to the bottom with no replies.

Since S.E. is an attractive woman:
1. We don't discuss the content of her article.
2. We make sexual references about her (which really kinda makes her point), and
3. We defend the practice of posting those sexual references.

So as not to confuse others who consider joining the board thinking they've found a place where double standards get exposed, maybe the above explanation should be placed in the rules of the board. It would have been nice to know when I first found the board.

Wingnut

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 11:33:37 pm »
OK. I'm starting to understand now. I'm a newbie, so be patient while I catch up.

2. We make sexual references about her (which really kinda makes her point), and

So as not to confuse others who consider joining the board thinking they've found a place where double standards get exposed, maybe the above explanation should be placed in the rules of the board. It would have been nice to know when I first found the board.

Just an observation....You are putting 10 dollars worth of thought into a 2 dollar problem

Online DB

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 11:38:09 pm »
Just an observation....You are putting 10 dollars worth of thought into a 2 dollar problem

LOL!

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 11:39:37 pm »

Well, if we still had to deal with the late Helen Thomas it be the same problem in reverse. Nature of the internet I reckon, but I agree. This ain't TOS and the whole guilty/not guilty based on pictures, or one pin up shots of Ann Coulter are immature.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Online AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 12:53:18 am »

Perhaps. But for a party that's losing women by the hundreds, one might consider whether they're part of the problem or part of the solution. For those who have decided that we can spare these female voters, then there's not even a problem to consider. Just know that Trump looks a bit less creepy if Republicans criticize his attitude toward women and make excuses for their own.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 12:58:25 am »
Perhaps. But for a party that's losing women by the hundreds, one might consider whether they're part of the problem or part of the solution. For those who have decided that we can spare these female voters, then there's not even a problem to consider. Just know that Trump looks a bit less creepy if Republicans criticize his attitude toward women and make excuses for their own.

For someone who was all hot that the first three commenters didn't say anything about the content of the article, here we are hours later and YOU still haven't commented on the article yourself.