Author Topic: How Much Is $100 Really Worth in Each State of the Union?  (Read 1680 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

How Much Is $100 Really Worth in Each State of the Union?
« on: October 27, 2016, 05:03:36 pm »
SOURCE: MENTAL FLOSS

URL: http://mentalfloss.com/article/58466/how-much-100-really-worth-each-state

by: Jason English

How far does $100 go? Today's map, which comes from the Tax Foundation and uses data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis, answers that question state by state. In Mississippi, your $100 could buy $115.74 worth of stuff relative to the national average. On the other end of the spectrum is Hawaii, where you'd only get $85.32 worth. Washington, D.C. is even lower, at $84.60.

The Tax Foundation offers a little perspective on how to read the map:

Tennessee is a low-price state, where $100 will buy what would cost $110.25 in another state that is closer to the national average. You can think of this as meaning that Tennesseans are about ten percent richer than their nominal incomes suggest.

The Afternoon Map is a semi-regular feature in which we post maps and infographics. In the afternoon. Semi-regularly. Thanks to Niraj Chokshi of The Washington Post for featuring this one.[/size]

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: How Much Is $100 Really Worth in Each State of the Union?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 05:08:30 pm »
And I bet if they broke that down rural v. city you'd find ruralies have even more purchasing power.

Living in a rural area can really suck in the boredom department sometimes, but it has it's perks.
The Republic is lost.

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 05:37:46 pm »
And I bet if they broke that down rural v. city you'd find ruralies have even more purchasing power.

Living in a rural area can really suck in the boredom department sometimes, but it has it's perks.

Some of that works the other way.  I've found the competition of others often makes it more price competitive in Houston, than an hour away from it.  Gasoline, clothing always seem to fall this way for us.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 05:55:50 pm »
Some of that works the other way.  I've found the competition of others often makes it more price competitive in Houston, than an hour away from it.  Gasoline, clothing always seem to fall this way for us.

I envy you. It doesn't seem to happen up here as much as it should. Probably the only major price advantage of the city is that they do often have the Costco's and the Sam's Club. But we have those within an hours drive so that's not a major inconvenience.
The Republic is lost.

geronl

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 05:57:54 pm »
This reminds me of comparing land prices in Manhattan with Podunk, Tx

or asking how far your $100 goes at a nice restaurant compared to a supermarket and convenience store

Buying store brand, generic vs name brand items would be a good one

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 06:01:01 pm »
I envy you. It doesn't seem to happen up here as much as it should. Probably the only major price advantage of the city is that they do often have the Costco's and the Sam's Club. But we have those within an hours drive so that's not a major inconvenience.

While I get lots of opportunity to shop for the best price on gasoline, the 63 mile commute (one way) to work more than makes up for the savings I can find.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 01:28:10 pm »
There is a double whammy applied to citizens of these high cost states as one must make more income yet be subject to a single federal tax bracket.

Sucks when a guy can make a lot more in NY but have to pay more taxes than someone living comparably but making less in Texas.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 05:05:16 pm »
Sucks when a guy can make a lot more in NY but have to pay more taxes than someone living comparably but making less in Texas.

I call that blessed, not sucks.  From the ability to have as much in Texas, but feed less to the government beasts.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 07:22:22 pm »
Are they including state sales tax in the calculation? We don't have a sales tax and the extra 5-10% when I'm in another state always makes it seem everything is more expensive elsewhere...

geronl

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 07:33:20 pm »
There is a double whammy applied to citizens of these high cost states as one must make more income yet be subject to a single federal tax bracket.

You can be richer in Texas on a lot less money

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 03:58:00 pm »
I call that blessed, not sucks.  From the ability to have as much in Texas, but feed less to the government beasts.

Sucks for NYorkers, blessed for Texans.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington