Author Topic: World on track to lose two-thirds of wild animals by 2020, major report warns  (Read 964 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I'm not necessarily going along with this at all; just reporting it.

World on track to lose two-thirds of wild animals by 2020, major report warns

The number of wild animals living on Earth is set to fall by two-thirds by 2020, according to a new report, part of a mass extinction that is destroying the natural world upon which humanity depends.

The analysis, the most comprehensive to date, indicates that animal populations plummeted by 58% between 1970 and 2012, with losses on track to reach 67% by 2020. Researchers from WWF and the Zoological Society of London compiled the report from scientific data and found that the destruction of wild habitats, hunting and pollution were to blame.

The creatures being lost range from mountains to forests to rivers and the seas and include well-known endangered species such as elephants and gorillas and lesser known creatures such as vultures and salamanders.

The collapse of wildlife is, with climate change, the most striking sign of the Anthropocene, a proposed new geological era in which humans dominate the planet. “We are no longer a small world on a big planet. We are now a big world on a small planet, where we have reached a saturation point,” said Prof Johan Rockström, executive director of the Stockholm Resilience Centre, in a foreword for the report.

Read More At: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/world-on-track-to-lose-two-thirds-of-wild-animals-by-2020-major-report-warns/ar-AAjs00Z?OCID=ansmsnnews11
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:48:18 pm by TomSea »

Offline Suppressed

2/3 from 1970...not from now.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline dfwgator

Adapt or Die.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

Ridiculous anyway. I live in the most heavily populated part of Michigan in the southernmost 2 tiers of coun ties and we have more wildlife than I've ever seen in my life. We've got bald eagles all over the place and black bear sightings in the area seem to be a yearly occurrence.

Going by what they said in the 70s, I'm supposed to be living in the heart of a vast megacity stretching from NYC to Des Moines Iowa. I'm not.

Offline bolobaby

Let me guess - global warming?

BTW - ever notice how the Darwinists always want to do everything possible to prevent actual Darwinism?
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!