Author Topic: First 10 Women Graduate From Infantry Officer Course  (Read 876 times)

rangerrebew

First 10 Women Graduate From Infantry Officer Course
« on: October 27, 2016, 11:10:07 am »
First 10 Women Graduate From Infantry Officer Course

Military.com | Oct 26, 2016 | by Matthew Cox

Ten female lieutenants completed the first step in becoming U.S. Army infantry platoon leaders on Wednesday by graduating from the first gender-integrated class of Infantry Officer Basic Leader Course.

Twelve women started the 17-week course at Fort Benning, Georgia, and 10 met the standards to graduate alongside 156 male classmates.

"The training of an infantry lieutenant is a process until they step in front of that rifle platoon, and this is but the very first step in that process," Lt. Col. Matthew Weber, battalion commander of the course, told reporters Wednesday at Fort Benning. "It's a critical one because we are very much focused on training and preparing the soldiers, the lieutenants, to ultimately lead a rifle platoon."

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/10/26/first-10-women-graduate-infantry-officer-course.html
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 11:10:40 am by rangerrebew »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: First 10 Women Graduate From Infantry Officer Course
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 03:42:29 pm »
Yikes.

Normally, I'd engaged in some friendly inter-service banter, but this is too serious for that.

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 04:12:10 pm »
As a former Infantryman, I can see all kinds of problems with this. 

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 05:07:31 pm »
As a former Infantryman, I can see all kinds of problems with this.

No kidding.  Troops expect their junior officers to be in at least as good a shape as they are.  Having a bunch of women who just barely passed the course is going to be something that grunts will spot in a heartbeat.  And that's just for starters.

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 05:21:29 pm »
Former 11B here myself.

What a disaster.

Women should only be admitted into combat arms when it is a matter of national survival, like in Israel. Beyond that, if you have the option for an all-male infantry, TAKE IT.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 05:48:31 pm »
Women should only be admitted into combat arms when it is a matter of national survival....

Of course, the converse clearly is not true.  Combat arms should be admitted into women with much greater frequency.  Just saying.

Ooo-rah.

rangerrebew

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 10:00:02 pm »
Former 11B here myself.

What a disaster.

Women should only be admitted into combat arms when it is a matter of national survival, like in Israel. Beyond that, if you have the option for an all-male infantry, TAKE IT.

Maybe Lurch or Putin or Imam Obama can arrange for a kinder and gentler war, as Lurch would say, so the weapons won't need to be quite as heavy and cumbersome. :whistle: