Author Topic: Scientists Say We're Likely Receiving Messages From Aliens  (Read 8676 times)

Offline anymouse

Scientists Say We're Likely Receiving Messages From Aliens
« on: October 25, 2016, 11:27:45 pm »
Scientists Say We're Likely Receiving Messages From Aliens

So, we may be receiving messages from aliens, right now, according to a new scientific hypothesis, reports The Independent. "A new analysis of strange modulations in a tiny set of stars appears to indicate that it could be coming from extraterrestrial intelligence that is looking to alert us to their existence."

The study reports that "specific modulations" in only 234 stars, out of the 2.5 million studied, were found, and that a small fraction of such stars were reportedly "behaving strangely" without any explanation, leaving scientists to believe the "messages" are from aliens.

“We find that the detected signals have exactly the shape of an [extraterrestrial intelligence] signal predicted in the previous publication and are therefore in agreement with this hypothesis,” write scientists EF Borra and E Trottier. “The fact that they are only found in a very small fraction of stars within a narrow spectral range centered near the spectral type of the sun is also in agreement with the ETI hypothesis."

Such research has been published in the journal Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific, titled "Discovery of peculiar periodic spectral modulations in a small fraction of solar type stars."

Of course, although the scientists have come to such an hypothesis, they are clear that, currently, they cannot confirm nor deny with certainty if the messages are indeed from aliens. Scientists say they are working to discredit all other possible explanations to bring their assumption more credibility. 

Breakthrough Listen, an initiative founded in 2016 to find alien life, says that the hypothesis is "promising," while acknowledging that more work must to done to prove the messages originated from extraterrestrial beings.

“The one in 10,000 objects with unusual spectra seen by Borra and Trottier are certainly worthy of additional study,” says Breakthrough Listen's statement. “However, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

The statement continues: “It is too early to unequivocally attribute these purported signals to the activities of extraterrestrial civilizations. Internationally agreed-upon protocols for searches for evidence of advanced life beyond Earth (SETI) require candidates to be confirmed by independent groups using their own telescopes, and for all natural explanations to be exhausted before invoking extraterrestrial agents as an explanation.

“Careful work must be undertaken to determine false positive rates, to rule out natural and instrumental explanations, and most importantly, to confirm detection using two or more independent telescopes," concludes the statement.

After tedious careful deciphering of the signal scientists were able to unscramble this curious alien message:

Send more p0rn. ;)
Anymouse

"Life is a sit-com.  I'm just a critic, don't blame me for the lack of plot and poor acting." ;)

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Scientists Say We're Likely Receiving Messages From Aliens
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 11:42:41 pm »
"ET Phone Home."

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 12:10:03 am »
With all of the crap they see from us, I don't think they would want to see us.. Hell I want to leave this rock for a reason.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 11:45:58 am »
With all of the crap they see from us, I don't think they would want to see us.. Hell I want to leave this rock for a reason.

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 01:00:41 pm »
They're amongst us right now - strange, obese, orange creatures; probably from Mars, because Mars needs women, and these aliens have been grabbing them by the kitties.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 01:05:31 pm »
Probably are. It's hearing them that's the problem. Can't listen to the BBC using a tin can and string, after all.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 03:35:33 pm »
I dunno, modulating the spectral output of a star seems like an awfully expensive and inefficient method of sending a message. I think that if these "signals" are not the result of some natural phenomena then they are likely resulting as a side effect of some other activity that the aliens are doing, such as putting up really big arrays to better collect the output of their home star for energy.   :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 03:41:38 pm »
I dunno, modulating the spectral output of a star seems like an awfully expensive and inefficient method of sending a message.

For us - yes.

To give you an analogy though: If you want to buy some cheap, lasting cutlery or pans, they are going to be aluminium. Just over a century and a half ago, aluminium goods costed roughly the same as gold to buy.

When technology changes, what's cost effective changes.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 03:46:56 pm »
For us - yes.

To give you an analogy though: If you want to buy some cheap, lasting cutlery or pans, they are going to be aluminium. Just over a century and a half ago, aluminium goods costed roughly the same as gold to buy.

Yeah!  What could possibly go wrong from messing with the output of your own sun....?

The real question is: what could possibly be so important for them to say, that they'd go messing with a friggin' star in hopes that some arbitrary group of beings within a multi-parsecs-diameter sphere might possibly see it?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 03:57:20 pm »
Yeah!  What could possibly go wrong from messing with the output of your own sun....?

The real question is: what could possibly be so important for them to say, that they'd go messing with a friggin' star in hopes that some arbitrary group of beings within a multi-parsecs-diameter sphere might possibly see it?

"Ditch your SUVs, global warming is gonna kill us all"
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 04:00:42 pm »
Scientists Say We're Not Receiving Messages From Aliens

No further study is necessary, scientists say, no need for additional grant money.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 04:14:08 pm »
Oooops....my bad....it was @Wingnut who messaged me.   :smokin:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 04:18:59 pm »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 04:20:18 pm »
"ET Phone Home."

What's the difference between E.T. and an Illegal Alien?

E.T. learned English and went home.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 04:26:57 pm »

"They blew up Congress....HA HA HA HA HA HA!"

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 04:39:59 pm »
For us - yes.

Yes, but...

Consider what the electromagnetic environment around our own sun might look like to an alien intelligence situated, oh, say 40 or so light years away from us: "Hey! We're getting some strange signals from around that little yellow star over there! Do you think it's some E.T.s trying to contact us?"

Well, no, we weren't trying to contact anyone... it was just a side-effect of our attempt to mass entertain our global population.  In a similar way, Mr. E.T. is busy living his life out there in the universe, and decides that building a globular array about 1.2 AUs (whatever distance an alien AU happens to be...) out from his home star might be a good way collect a lot of usable energy to power their version of civilization. Then another E.T. says to the first, "Yeah, but you know, anyone living out there in the universe is going to see some weird changes in our star's spectrum and overall output!"

To which the E.T. with the big idea says, "Pffft, who cares? Just think how many sessions of insert popular alien RPG name here we'll be able to fire up!"

:shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 04:57:25 pm »

Who says it's their sun?

I can give you a scenario -

Interstellar travel is expensive in terms of energy. What's to stop a civilization with efficient energy capture, conversion and storage technology from picking a star with no planets and using it as a filling station? What we are seeing isn't then an attempt to communicate - it's a by-product of starships "filling up and acts as a giant Shell sign.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 05:02:19 pm »
Who says it's their sun?

Interstellar travel is expensive in terms of energy. What's to stop a civilization with efficient energy capture, conversion and storage technology from picking a star with no planets and using it as a filling station? What we are seeing isn't then an attempt to communicate - it's a by-product of starships "filling up and acts as a giant Shell sign.

Not unlike the famous "modulated farting" theory of interstellar communication....  :dx1:

Seriously, though -- you have to make a lot of large assumptions to explain why that cause would create a sustained and modulated signal.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 05:05:50 pm »
Not unlike the famous "modulated farting" theory of interstellar communication....  :dx1:

Seriously, though -- you have to make a lot of large assumptions to explain why that cause would create a sustained and modulated signal.

Yep - and it's part of the fun!  :laugh:

For all we know, it'll turn out to be a hole in astrophysics, like pulsars were when they were first discovered. That wouldn't make it any less magical.  ^-^

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 05:06:18 pm »
Who says it's their sun?

"There’s no point in acting surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for 50 of your Earth years, so you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and it’s far too late to start making a fuss about it now. … What do you mean you’ve never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh, for heaven’s sake, mankind, it’s only four light years away, you know. I’m sorry, but if you can’t be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that’s your own lookout. Energize the demolition beams."

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 05:07:23 pm »
 888high58888

Just ..... no poetry please.  :tongue2:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 05:07:54 pm by EC »

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 05:11:29 pm »
The entire Trump cabal are aliens from outer space.  No doubt about it.

Wingnut

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 06:34:54 pm »
Oooops....my bad....it was @Wingnut who messaged me.   :smokin:

@mrpotatohead
Wanted to make sure you got my "cookbook"  :whistle:

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 01:08:18 am »

I can't think of any good reason aliens would have any interest in us.

Wingnut

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 01:14:50 am »
I can't think of any good reason aliens would have any interest in us.

I suggest an anal probe of Trump.  Earth's biglyst anus might be of interest.