Author Topic: Scientists Say We're Likely Receiving Messages From Aliens  (Read 8672 times)

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Re: Scientists Say We're Likely Receiving Messages From Aliens
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2016, 02:05:32 am »
But then you have to take inflation into account as well.  When you do that, the bargain is even better.

Excellent point!
Let it burn.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2016, 04:16:33 am »

My grandfather had one of the first DuMont's in Montana. He bought it several months before the first TV station went on the air here. I can still recall when I was 3 or 4  how he would turn it on in the evening and just sit and listen to the radio and watch the snow on the screen. I guess he was what they call today an early adapter...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 04:18:11 am by montanajoe »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2016, 04:26:43 am »
My grandfather had one of the first DuMont's in Montana. He bought it several months before the first TV station went on the air here. I can still recall when I was 3 or 4  how he would turn it on in the evening and just sit and listen to the radio and watch the snow on the screen. I guess he was what they call today an early adapter...

LOL. I probably would have done the same damn thing. Probably was mesmerizing watching the snow......and it was probably also the best TV he watched on that set.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2016, 04:32:21 am »
"Probably was mesmerizing watching the snow."

It really was, that picture brought back a ton of fond old memories, thanks for posting.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2016, 05:04:18 am »
"Probably was mesmerizing watching the snow."

It really was, that picture brought back a ton of fond old memories, thanks for posting.

I was just thinking that I am currently watching old Hammer 7 Arts horror movies on TMC tonight. They are running til morning. If this was 30+ years ago or more, the stations would be showing an American flag and signing off for the day. Kids have no idea about that govt' imposed nonsense.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2016, 05:32:29 am »
I was just thinking that I am currently watching old Hammer 7 Arts horror movies on TMC tonight. They are running til morning. If this was 30+ years ago or more, the stations would be showing an American flag and signing off for the day. Kids have no idea about that govt' imposed nonsense.

That's true but then again they are subjected to 24/7 news and two year presidential election cycles. I find one of the hardest things to get my 11 year old daughter to do is read books and take the time to think about she has read. She much prefers to do everything on line  and simply thinks I'm just an old cote hanging on to old fashioned ways of doing things.....

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2016, 05:40:23 am »
That's true but then again they are subjected to 24/7 news and two year presidential election cycles. I find one of the hardest things to get my 11 year old daughter to do is read books and take the time to think about she has read. She much prefers to do everything on line  and simply thinks I'm just an old cote hanging on to old fashioned ways of doing things.....

My wife is a huge reader so my daughter has been trained since a puppy to pick up a book and read. Fortunately I am a bad influence and we watch horror movies together when mom isn't around to grumble. Mostly the old stuff from the 60's and 70's.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2016, 06:29:07 am »
I think calling Jupiter a failed sun is a little unfair.  It's an astronomical body that almost got big enough to ignite, but didn't.  Could probably blame that on Saturn or Neptune, or Uranus.  No doubt if you added one of the other gas giants to Jupiter it would ignite or at least start smoldering.
Nope not even close.

Oceander

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2016, 10:30:32 am »
Nope not even close.

So add something constructive here instead of being a snarky little git.