Author Topic: 'The Walking Dead' Premiere Didn't Go Down Well With Conservative Groups  (Read 20290 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: 'The Walking Dead' Premiere Didn't Go Down Well With Conservative Groups
« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2016, 05:16:51 pm »
I hardly think that's fair. Many denominations including a growing number of non denominational churches don't have any central organization what so ever to seek any political power with. 

You are free to kick against the pricks @sneakypete , we're not the ones out to get you.

@Idaho_Cowboy

I'll admit you are right on the non-denominational churches,but they are the exception,not the rule. As far as I know,for the most part they do their thing and bother no one.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2016, 05:16:52 pm »
@musiclady

Unless it would be someone that believes in fairy tales like life after death,a magical fairy that lives in the sky that sees all,knows all,and punishes the rats in  his maze that don't follow orders.

Not to mention people don't understand that "community" is the root word communism comes from,and that ALL communists are happy workers who are willing to share with others. If you don't believe it,just ask the dictators that control the country they live in.

You don't think at all rationally, nor logically on this subject.

Caring for each other in a community (root of the word notwithstanding) as it happened in the New Testament, and in small towns and villages, as well as churches all across the country, is a group of people caring about each other, help those in need, the poor, the widows, the orphans, members of ones own family, etc.

It is the precise opposite of Communism, imposed by a government.  The OPPOSITE.

If there were more community, we wouldn't have people begging the government to take care of them. 

You will argue in circles if you say it's the same thing, because what you are arguing is absolutely false.

Christians who care for each other want LESS government, not more.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

And sometimes I think you DO try to be as wrong as you can be.  I haven't figured out yet if you're as angry and irrational as you come across online, or if you're just a provocateur with a morbid sense of humor.

Doesn't really matter.

You're dead wrong.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 05:18:02 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2016, 05:19:28 pm »
@Free Vulcan

"And farm conservation programs are not subsidies"

Uh,huh. Pull my finger.

"And most businessmen will not shy from more profit, but most farmers would just like to farm and be done with it, not work a full-time job or do side businesses out of necessity."

ROFLMAO! Do you know any actual farmers that farm more than a "hobby plot"? I know a couple that are multi-millionaires farming land that has been in their families for over 100 years that do their farming AND hold down 1 full-time job and finances a couple of other enterprises as partners.

Do you REALLY think the big (as opposed to the corporate family farm) corporate farmers limit their profits to the money they pull out of farming,or do you think they invest it in other businesses?

I live in rural Iowa. You know, the farm state. I'm about as immersed in it as you're going to get. I don't know any hobby farmers, just real ones. And here, most farmers would simply like to do that full time, if they could.

Yes, some invest in businesses and coops to vertically integrate, but they're still in the business. Not sure what you're point there.

And you can call the conservation programs whatever you like. It's your opinion, and like buttholes everyone's got one, and they all stink.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 05:21:30 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2016, 05:20:05 pm »
You don't think at all rationally, nor logically on this subject.

Caring for each other in a community (root of the word notwithstanding) as it happened in the New Testament, and in small towns and villages, as well as churches all across the country, is a group of people caring about each other, help those in need, the poor, the widows, the orphans, members of ones own family, etc.

It is the precise opposite of Communism, imposed by a government.  The OPPOSITE.

If there were more community, we wouldn't have people begging the government to take care of them. 

You will argue in circles if you say it's the same thing, because what you are arguing is absolutely false.

Christians who care for each other want LESS government, not more.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

And sometimes I think you DO try to be as wrong as you can be.  I haven't figured out yet if you're as angry and irrational as you come across online, or if you're just a provocateur with a morbid sense of humor.

Doesn't really matter.

You're dead wrong.

@musiclady

"Caring for each other in a community (root of the word notwithstanding) as it happened in the New Testament"

Uhhhh,what happened to the Original Testament,the original Word of God? Was it broken and have to be fixed?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2016, 05:23:21 pm »
@musiclady

"Caring for each other in a community (root of the word notwithstanding) as it happened in the New Testament"

Uhhhh,what happened to the Original Testament,the original Word of God? Was it broken and have to be fixed?

And I bet you think you're clever.....  Yikes.  **nononono*

(I hope some day you realize how absolutely STUPID your posts can be to anyone with a functioning brain).

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #180 on: October 27, 2016, 05:23:57 pm »
Exemption saves some vehicle-registration fees
http://www.iowafarmertoday.com/news/regional/exemption-saves-some-vehicle-registration-fees/article_bc8c2682-0639-11e1-8b69-001cc4c002e0.html

Buy a $20,000 vehicle to get to work and back, buy groceries and get the kids to practice, and Iowa takes $1,000 in new-vehicle registration fees.

Buy that same $20,000 pickup to run feed from market to farm, and you can keep that $1,000.

The animal-husbandry exemption on new-vehicle registration fees is one of dozens of rebates and waivers the state gives to motorists using Iowa roads.

They range from fuel-tax rebates for farm implements to breaks on registration fees for trucks used for businesses, and registration waivers for trailers  used specifically for displays on patriotic holidays.

The exemptions, refunds and waivers are peppered throughout state code, and there’s no telling how much the state would gain in tax revenue each year if it eliminated them....

True. I don't deny the funding aspect. I've never liked the Iowa tax code, we do the high-tax-then-give-credits routine to those of special interest. We've needed to flatten alot of things for a long time.

In sum though, Iowa is pretty low in the perks it give farms. Fuel tax and license registration rebates are about the sum of it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #181 on: October 27, 2016, 05:34:15 pm »
@musiclady

II Thessalonians 3:10 "For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat." That whole going around in one accord didn't last very long. In fact the Bible teaches in both testaments to help those in need voluntarily; you can't force people to give with true charity.
Other Historians have talked about it, and Bradford's journal used to be required reading in school way back when, but the Pilgrims thought that they could put everything in a common store and it didn't work so well. Fascinating story if you have the time to read or listen:
http://www.breitbart.com/video/2015/11/26/rush-limbaugh-tells-the-true-story-of-thanksgiving/

The old Testament was fulfilled. With the exception of the laws God gave Israel as a theocracy it's still very valid (not that the theocratic laws aren't, but not as directly) and applicable to today. A surprising amount of the New Testament is quotes from the Old Testament.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #182 on: October 27, 2016, 05:35:44 pm »
Is this a thread about a TV show?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2016, 05:38:19 pm »

Hahaha. I'm almost pining for the FR days of long meandering offtopic threads.

Yes it is about a TV show. And censorship. And apparently farming and religion too.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 05:38:41 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2016, 05:41:54 pm »
We get easily distracted.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 05:42:29 pm by Idaho_Cowboy »
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline musiclady

« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2016, 05:47:33 pm »
Although protecting children from violence and smut isn't a problem I have, I do have family and friends who are desperately trying to do everything possible to do just that. It's really just impossible unless you can be with every kid at every moment of every day. (I'm sure their friends will be thrilled that the kid's parent comes along with the kid on an overnight stay!) Staying vigilant in an attempt to shield your kids leaves you with no life of your own.

I'm geared toward wholesome programming, so I don't see any of this stuff, but I have had friends and co-workers who have said on several occasions that they wished they hadn't seen this movie or that TV show and desperately wished they could unsee it. Just the few things I accidentally overhear are enough to provide an explanation of how society became so degraded in such a short period of time.

I really don't know how one could protect their children in this era. Even refusing to have a TV in the house would only partially protect them since TVs are ubiquitous. And of course we live in the age of computers where the creepiest of material is a click away. Don't tell me that stuff doesn't have an effect on one's soul.

I am so grateful to have grown up in the era of Dick Van Dyke, Danny Thomas, Bonanza, Sky King, Wyatt Earp, Ed Sullivan, Wagon Train, American Bandstand, etc.

So am I!  And even my children who are in their thirties had a choice of good programming and absolutely no slasher garbage on TV.  We didn't have parental controls because we didn't really need them.

You are so right, though, about how quickly our culture has degraded.

I just can't see why anyone is up in arms about asking for responsible programming from executives on TV, and why they are screeching "CENSORSHIP!" when the article itself is about choices in cable programming, and the discussion has been about responsibility.

The knee jerk reactions are instructive.  Some folks apparently don't even want the discussion to take place.

And to me, that's a heck of a lot closer to censorship than an open discussion with all sides being represented, and simply asking for responsibility from the cable companies and the executive producers.

You can't take horrible images out of your mind once they've been put there.  There's going to be some long term damage for people who watch this kind of butchery.  Especially the young ones.

@AllThatJazzZ
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 05:48:06 pm by musiclady »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2016, 05:57:56 pm »
I guess you didn't read the article, and reacted emotionally and defensively rather than thoughtfully, so I'll let you know what it says.....

The suggestion is not that the shows be "censored," but that families have to option NOT to get that particular channel from their cable package so they have more control at home, or not be forced to subsidize violence because there is no choice as to what channels and programming come into your home.

Nowhere is there mention, here or elsewhere, of parents who let their children watch the show and then "bitch about it."   I imagine that most parents who don't care about what their kids watch and are irresponsible enough to think it's OK for their kids to watch this kind of horror aren't the ones complaining.  So unless you have evidence that this parents group consists of very confused parents, your point is moot and your argument has no basis in fact.

All I have talked about is self-censorship.  That production companies should know what is a "bridge too far" for television that comes into homes where children may be watching.  The article is referring to controls over which channels are in your cable package and which aren't.  I'm talking about responsible producers.

My husband and I have talked about it for years.  Why are we forced to pay for hundreds of channels we never watch, and in essence, support things financially that we don't participate in, or what we strongly disapprove of?

It's a legitimate question.

And your accusing me of agreeing with fascism is just dumb.

Sorry.

@XenaLee
I'm all for a more a la carte approach to cable. I'd much rather get RFD than Viceland, for instance. I don't care about ellen degenerates' gaycation. No thanks. So why do I have to pay for that channel? I'd rather watch shows about classic tractors, as odd as that may seem to some.

Besides, I'm usually up at 4 AM and most of what is on cable are infomercials. While that hasn't irritated me quite enough to tell the cable company to shut it down and go to a dish, I'm close, but even that isn't necessarily a cure.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2016, 06:03:17 pm »
Besides, I'm usually up at 4 AM and most of what is on cable are infomercials. While that hasn't irritated me quite enough to tell the cable company to shut it down and go to a dish, I'm close, but even that isn't necessarily a cure.

I'm on a dish, since the wires don't seem to stretch out this far.  I see NO improvement on a dish over the choices I had when we were "in town".
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #188 on: October 27, 2016, 06:06:30 pm »
We get easily distracted.

Great cartoon!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #189 on: October 27, 2016, 06:11:10 pm »
And I bet you think you're clever.....  Yikes.  **nononono*

(I hope some day you realize how absolutely STUPID your posts can be to anyone with a functioning brain).

@musiclady

Yes,I do. I don't believe in fairy tales,either.

BTW,are you going to tell us what was wrong with "The Original Word of God/The (now)Old Testament",and why it had to be replaced with a New Testament/Word of God?

Something broken so a "New and Improved God's Word" had to replace it?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:14:29 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #190 on: October 27, 2016, 06:19:14 pm »
True. I don't deny the funding aspect. I've never liked the Iowa tax code, we do the high-tax-then-give-credits routine to those of special interest. We've needed to flatten alot of things for a long time.

In sum though, Iowa is pretty low in the perks it give farms. Fuel tax and license registration rebates are about the sum of it.

The fuel exemption isn't strictly a farm thing. It's there for vehicles that don't operate on the public roads. It pretty much has to be there because the various state governments use a "road use tax to maintain and build new roads",so they would have a  hard time justifying taxing boat fuel,tractor fuel,etc,etc,etc.

BTW,does the tax exemption at vehicle sale include or require the purchase of farm use tags?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2016, 06:22:27 pm »
The fuel exemption isn't strictly a farm thing. It's there for vehicles that don't operate on the public roads. It pretty much has to be there because the various state governments use a "road use tax to maintain and build new roads",so they would have a  hard time justifying taxing boat fuel,tractor fuel,etc,etc,etc.

BTW,does the tax exemption at vehicle sale include or require the purchase of farm use tags?

No. Basically if it is a car or truck that has red gas or diesel in it, you better not be caught on the road with it. They do check frequently and they have nabbed farmers who cheat. No special tags or anything though.

Since most tractors are road worthy, they could techincally tax them, the ones that are driven to the fields for plant and harvest. They don't though. Boats of course should obviously not pay the road tax, though they might pay some sort of conservation tax here, I don't know.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:27:41 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2016, 06:26:42 pm »

I just can't see why anyone is up in arms about asking for responsible programming from executives on TV, and why they are screeching "CENSORSHIP!" when the article itself is about choices in cable programming, and the discussion has been about responsibility.

The knee jerk reactions are instructive.  Some folks apparently don't even want the discussion to take place.

And to me, that's a heck of a lot closer to censorship than an open discussion with all sides being represented, and simply asking for responsibility from the cable companies and the executive producers.

You can't take horrible images out of your mind once they've been put there.  There's going to be some long term damage for people who watch this kind of butchery.  Especially the young ones.

@AllThatJazzZ

@musiclady

You do more spinning/talking in circles than any 3 people I know.

I  have some cousins that used to claim tv was a "tool ob de debbil!" and refused to have one in their house,or to allow their children to visit anyone that did.

Then their preacher got his own Sunday morning teebee show,and suddenly a new color console teebee showed up in their houses,and teebee instantly became "an instrument ob de LORD!" When the "700 Club" started airing,they even bought VCR's to record "The Word of GAWD!",although I am guessing that God never showed up to speak,and they were actually recording that con artist,Pat Robertson.

Funny how that works,ain't it?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2016, 06:33:11 pm »
No. Basically if it is a car or truck that has red gas or diesel in it, you better not be caught on the road with it. They do check frequently and they have nabbed farmers who cheat.

They do the same thing around here. I've been stopped and checked when driving my diesel GMC pickup. Woe be onto whoever tries to cheat the state highway department out of "THEIR" tax money!

I sometimes buy the red diesel to run in my loader,but sometimes go ahead and but the road-taxed diesel to avoid making another stop. It's a real pain in the butt to get to where the red diesel and gas are pumped and the savings on fuel just isn't worth the effort for me. If I were buying 100 gallons of it every few days you can bet I will make the effort,but I just don't burn enough of it to worry about. I'd like to burn the leaded gas in my stock 51 Ford,but it's just too much trouble. I put lead substitute in the gas tank instead.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2016, 06:38:10 pm »
@musiclady

Yes,I do. I don't believe in fairy tales,either.

BTW,are you going to tell us what was wrong with "The Original Word of God/The (now)Old Testament",and why it had to be replaced with a New Testament/Word of God?

Something broken so a "New and Improved God's Word" had to replace it?

Someone else has been gracious enough to explain it to you, and you have rejected it.

I have more important things to do than cast pearls before swine.  Besides which, I'm pretty sure you actually know the answer and are just trying to be a jerk.

Peace, @sneakypete .

I don't know anyone else who needs it more than you do.

And FYI, this thread is about a TV show, not your faithlessness and cynicism, so enough of the hijack, OK??

Offline musiclady

« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2016, 06:41:01 pm »
@musiclady

You do more spinning/talking in circles than any 3 people I know.

I  have some cousins that used to claim tv was a "tool ob de debbil!" and refused to have one in their house,or to allow their children to visit anyone that did.

Then their preacher got his own Sunday morning teebee show,and suddenly a new color console teebee showed up in their houses,and teebee instantly became "an instrument ob de LORD!" When the "700 Club" started airing,they even bought VCR's to record "The Word of GAWD!",although I am guessing that God never showed up to speak,and they were actually recording that con artist,Pat Robertson.

Funny how that works,ain't it?

You know more hypocrites than anyone I've ever met.  It's apparent that you haven't had contact with genuine Christians, nor more importantly, with the person of Jesus Christ.

I've said it before, and you've rejected it with snark, of course, but you need to get into the Word of God and meet the Savior, and quit looking at sinful people to make your decisions about a Holy, Almighty, Just and Loving God.

My last post participating in your thread hijack.

:seeya:

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

« Reply #196 on: October 27, 2016, 06:53:10 pm »
You know more hypocrites than anyone I've ever met.  It's apparent that you haven't had contact with genuine Christians, nor more importantly, with the person of Jesus Christ.

I've said it before, and you've rejected it with snark, of course, but you need to get into the Word of God and meet the Savior, and quit looking at sinful people to make your decisions about a Holy, Almighty, Just and Loving God.

My last post participating in your thread hijack.

:seeya:

Steve Brown was right on when he called the Church porcupines huddled against the storm. At least Christians are the one group where you have to admit you are messed up to be a member. A lot of them forget, but that's another matter. Why is the world so shocked to find sinners in the Church?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:53:30 pm by Idaho_Cowboy »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #197 on: October 27, 2016, 06:54:03 pm »
They do the same thing around here. I've been stopped and checked when driving my diesel GMC pickup. Woe be onto whoever tries to cheat the state highway department out of "THEIR" tax money!

I sometimes buy the red diesel to run in my loader,but sometimes go ahead and but the road-taxed diesel to avoid making another stop. It's a real pain in the butt to get to where the red diesel and gas are pumped and the savings on fuel just isn't worth the effort for me. If I were buying 100 gallons of it every few days you can bet I will make the effort,but I just don't burn enough of it to worry about. I'd like to burn the leaded gas in my stock 51 Ford,but it's just too much trouble. I put lead substitute in the gas tank instead.

I can generally handle the road tax and enforcement if it's done right. We do pretty good here in Iowa though I don't like the road formula much. It's way too oriented to the cities, and the IDOT-contractor relationship is a little too incestuous for me sometimes.

What I personally wish they'd do here is flatten the corporate tax, which is about 5% of state revenue, get rid of all credits, then give it to cities and counties for road repairs and construction. Let the gas tax fill in after that, and cut the budget to make up for the 5%.

It would give jurisdictions incentive to improve their business climate, which would in turn benefit with better roads, drawing more business, and so on.
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #198 on: October 27, 2016, 07:14:18 pm »
Steve Brown was right on when he called the Church porcupines huddled against the storm. At least Christians are the one group where you have to admit you are messed up to be a member. A lot of them forget, but that's another matter. Why is the world so shocked to find sinners in the Church?

Great points and some that should be repeated:

Church members are sinners like everyone else.
Churches are filled with people who have admitted they are sinners.
Some Christians forget that they are sinners.  And that.......... is a sin.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2016, 07:34:12 pm »
@driftdiver

Blah,blah,blah. Organized religion is the original form of communism,so you might want to back off on those "leftist" smears,comrade.

Communism?   "a political theory derived from Karl Marx, advocating class war and leading to a society in which all property is publicly owned and each person works and is paid according to their abilities and needs."

perhaps your education is lacking?  Religion has nothing to do with communism.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.