Author Topic: 'The Walking Dead' Premiere Didn't Go Down Well With Conservative Groups  (Read 20279 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Seriously to all you Ned Flanders types out there, do you not know what this show is about? And to think, some of these people let their little kids watch it then complained about the content? Even my wife wouldn't watch this episode.

Now, with the most recent episode of #TheWalkingDead pushing even devoted fans of the series to their limits with its brutal depiction of bloody, bloody murder, it's perhaps not all that surprising that those who've never been fond of the show were downright appalled. That, at least, was the response of The Parents Television Council, a conservative watchdog that — in a move that should surprise literally no-one — just denounced The Walking Dead's Season 7 premiere for that aforementioned violence....

http://moviepilot.com/p/the-walking-dead-premiere-didnt-go-down-well-with-conservative-groups/4132969?utm_source=fb-stream-post&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=the-walking-dead-premiere-didnt-go-down-well-with-conservative-groups

Offline musiclady

Re: 'The Walking Dead' Premiere Didn't Go Down Well With Conservative Groups
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 10:11:37 pm »
I can't even handle the commercials.

NOT my kind of show.  Definitely not a show I would have let my kids watch.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 10:13:45 pm »
I can't even handle the commercials.

NOT my kind of show.  Definitely not a show I would have let my kids watch.

It is not a children's show in the least. Sunday's was even a bit rough for me. I have one friend (I think she is a member here) who said she was shaking and crying after that episode.

But there were no surprises, we knew what was coming.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 10:54:19 pm »
Typical nannies...don't like it?  Don't watch...

Uhm, when the governor was busy hacking Herschel's head off with Michonne's katana a couple of seasons back, wasn't that a FREAKIN' CLUE!?!?

What about the trough at Terminus?  Baseball bat to the back of the head and then slit the throats of their next meal...and there were others, too many to recall right now.

The method of dispatching the dead has become quite creative and consistent with the types of dead they've encountered.  Maggie in the sewer going all the way up the chest cavity of the one walker until saved by her partner...

I'll admit, Abraham's murder/execution was bad enough, showing Glenn after the first hit and severely injured, facial features distorted, practically dead, was a bit over the top...but there are disclaimers warning viewers about the violence.  My wife binge watches the DVD's upon release, hates waiting for the weekly episodes.  I've already told her that she either skips this one or prepares herself for some serious gore.

I don't watch the show for the violence.  But one has to figure that in a SHTF scenario similar to this, I do believe there will be elements that will match or exceed the level of cruelty and violence on display in WD. 

I watch it for the psychological, mental and physical components of trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world and the abundance of really stupid mistakes/actions...storyline ain't too bad either.

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 10:58:00 pm »
It is not a children's show in the least. Sunday's was even a bit rough for me. I have one friend (I think she is a member here) who said she was shaking and crying after that episode.

But there were no surprises, we knew what was coming.

I have no problem with people watching the show.  I just wish (even though my kids are adults and all gone) that for the sake of other kids, they'd not show graphic faces, etc. on the commercials when anyone could be watching.

If people want to see it (and lots do), more power to them.

I suppose the ads are pretty tame compared to the show, but I'd like a little self-censorship coming from Hollywood.

Like in the "good old days."  :dx1:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 02:23:14 am »

I don't watch the show for the violence.  But one has to figure that in a SHTF scenario similar to this, I do believe there will be elements that will match or exceed the level of cruelty and violence on display in WD. 

I watch it for the psychological, mental and physical components of trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world and the abundance of really stupid mistakes/actions...storyline ain't too bad either.

I agree. As a horror show,it's a cartoon. How serious can you take monsters that can't even walk fast and have the IQ of a Dimocrat?

I see it like you,as a show about how to survive after the SHTF. The monsters are just there for the same purpose as the supermodels that are in action flicks.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 02:26:35 am »
Seriously to all you Ned Flanders types out there, do you not know what this show is about? And to think, some of these people let their little kids watch it then complained about the content? Even my wife wouldn't watch this episode.

The Bible thumpers are worse than the Trumpkins IMO...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 02:26:48 am »
I have no problem with people watching the show.  I just wish (even though my kids are adults and all gone) that for the sake of other kids, they'd not show graphic faces, etc. on the commercials when anyone could be watching.

If people want to see it (and lots do), more power to them.<<

@musiclady

Since this is basically a show about the survival of the human species after "life as we know it has ended",the graphic things need to be shown because survival is going to be pretty damn graphic. Tinker Belles ain't going to make it.

>>I suppose the ads are pretty tame compared to the show, but I'd like a little self-censorship coming from Hollywood.<<

"Self-Censorship" by Hollywood IS censorship to suit a certain political segment of society.

Like in the "good old days."  :dx1:

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 02:32:38 am »
Typical nannies...don't like it?  Don't watch...

I watch it for the psychological, mental and physical components of trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world...

That is why I watch it.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 02:41:24 am »
The aggrieved losers in the The Parents Television Council can stuff it. This nanny state BS is why Conservatives have the bad street cred they do.

BTW, I tried to watch this stupid show when it came out and gave up on it because it was a bunch of unlikable characters looking for Govt' in DC to save them. It wasn't because of the violence. When I dial in once and a while all I see is hilariously fake blood and guts of the Hershel Gordon Lewis variety.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 02:41:40 am by Frank Cannon »

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 02:49:43 am »
The aggrieved losers in the The Parents Television Council can stuff it. This nanny state BS is why Conservatives have the bad street cred they do.

BTW, I tried to watch this stupid show when it came out and gave up on it because it was a bunch of unlikable characters looking for Govt' in DC to save them. It wasn't because of the violence. When I dial in once and a while all I see is hilariously fake blood and guts of the Hershel Gordon Lewis variety.
The first couple of seasons were about seeking gov't help, it's what many in society have come to believe in, that gov't is the big nanny and is gonna save you...the characters in the show have since arrived at the conclusion that isn't happening, at least not yet...I don't know the comics so can't tell. 

Now they're in full on survival mode and trying to establish some sense of normalcy, to bring civilization "back". 

Hence Negan's poking fun at them about "sitting around a picnic table" in the Sunday's episode...and yes, the gore gets tiresome at times...but ya just gotta look past that and enjoy the special "special effects" these folks are putting out.  Some are pretty damned good. 

But I get it, it's not for everyone.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 02:51:34 am »
Mindless Tipper Gore and Terry Ricolla types.  Save the world from TV shows.  Get a life.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 03:04:35 am »
@sneakypete

I'm not sure what Louis B. Mayer's politics were, but the Hayes Act gave us decades of good, healthy entertainment for which I'm grateful.

And Hollywood did controlled itself.  No censorship required.

My love of clean musicals thanks them.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 03:05:12 am by musiclady »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 03:31:11 am »
@sneakypete

I'm not sure what Louis B. Mayer's politics were, but the Hayes Act gave us decades of good, healthy entertainment for which I'm grateful.

Mayer was a Republican and ran the CA state GOP back in the day.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 03:37:52 am »
Mayer was a Republican and ran the CA state GOP back in the day.

Oh, thanks for that, Frank.  I didn't know what his politics were.  I knew he was a task master and a strong man, but didn't know he was a Republican.

Offline chae

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 04:10:45 am »
Some parents don't care what their kids watch. My guy went to see The hills have eyes 2 when it was in theaters. He said he was stunned at the family in front of him, had 6 kids, and 3 were under age 10. He said one looked to be about 5 or 6

geronl

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 04:19:37 am »
I watched one episode and that was too much, it was just ridiculous.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 04:49:45 am »

Wow. Interesting sentiment. Did you actually intend to insult Bible-believing Christians on this board, or was that a slip of the keyboard?

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 05:44:45 am »
@sneakypete

@musiclady

You have to be kidding. There was a censor on every movie lot and on every tv episode,monitoring what was being done and said.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 07:21:51 am »

It isn't a question of Bible thumping, so much as what you probably don't want your four year old to watch. Theology question of the day: Do zombies have a soul?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 07:24:41 am »
@sneakypete It's the smell that will get them, not the scenery so much.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 07:25:17 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 11:02:02 am »
It isn't a question of Bible thumping, so much as what you probably don't want your four year old to watch. Theology question of the day: Do zombies have a soul?

@Smokin Joe

Who is telling you that you have to make your 4 year old granddaughter watch it?

You have every right to determine what you and your family CAN watch.

You have NO right to tell others what THEIR families will not be ALLOWED to watch.

If it were otherwise,your local government could legally tell you that you and your family MUST convert to Islam and make mandatory prayers daily and attend services at a local Mosque.

You can't have it both ways. Any government that has the authority to force people to obey YOUR religious viewpoints and customs also has the right to tell YOU to obey the religious viewpoints of Islam.

Be careful what  you ask for lest you get it.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 11:06:28 am by sneakypete »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 11:34:48 am »
I'm hopelessly out of it, I guess. Never had any interest in seeing this series. Since "Person of Interest" ended, there's no TV series anywhere that Mr. M and I watch, except for NYPD Blue reruns and Barnwood Builders.  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 01:28:38 pm »
@musiclady

You have to be kidding. There was a censor on every movie lot and on every tv episode,monitoring what was being done and said.

I'm not kidding.  Hayes Act.  Cleaned up Hollywood.  Self imposed.

And it resulted in good, quality movies that everyone can watch. 

Some day you'll understand that we're not all the same as you are, @sneakypete, and being different doesn't make us stupid.  I don't anticipate being alive for that day, but I hope it will happen sometime soon....... for YOUR sake.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 01:44:21 pm »
I'm not kidding.  Hayes Act.  Cleaned up Hollywood.  Self imposed.

And it resulted in good, quality movies that everyone can watch. 

I gotta jump in here. First off it was the "Hays" act, not Hayes, named after William Hays. He was head of the Motion Pictures Association. Secondly it only lasted 4 years after talking pictures were introduced. It was such a disaster because no one adhered to it and a lot of early 30's films were full of sex, drugs and other things you are bashing now. In 1934 the Association enacted the Production Codes that lasted until the late 60's.

Mayer had nothing to do with the code system at any point along the line. The code when enacted was dumb as hell. It was in the code that every bad guy in the movie needed to be punished. It was in the code that married people needed to be in separate beds. The whole thing was absurd and made movies so boring that Hollywood was a shambles by the 60's and most movie production was done in Europe. Remember the Spaghetti style movies?