Author Topic: China just showcased the world's most human-like robots, and they show how close we’re coming to Westworld reality  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
China just showcased the world's most human-like robots, and they show how close we’re coming to Westworld reality
Leon Siciliano
Oct. 24, 2016, 8:50 AM

The world's most human-like robots have been unveiled in China and the resemblance is uncanny....
Video at link: http://www.businessinsider.com/china-world-robot-conference-beijing-artificial-intelligence-human-like-2016-10
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
China just showcased the world's most human-like robots, and they show how close we’re coming to Westworld reality
Leon Siciliano
Oct. 24, 2016, 8:50 AM

The world's most human-like robots have been unveiled in China and the resemblance is uncanny....
Video at link: http://www.businessinsider.com/china-world-robot-conference-beijing-artificial-intelligence-human-like-2016-10

hah hah Not really, brother. The power needs of self-propelled machines like these are way too massive to be supplied by internal power plants. They must be tethered to a high voltage power cable. Servo motors equivalent to human strength require a LOT of power over a long period of time.

Presently there is no self-contained internal power supply for high voltage needs other than lead acid batteries  or gas-turbines that are both very heavy, bulky and noisy (see Boston Dynamics). Until there is a breakthrough in compact high voltage power supplies which makes tethering unnecessary, robots such as envisioned in Westworld or other SF movies will remain just that - science fiction.

NOTE: There are robots that derive power from their own motion, but they are not capable of human strength.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:54:04 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
They are still deep in uncanny valley territory, too.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

They are still deep in uncanny valley territory, too.
Yep, I think they would do better to try to make them look like cute robots than humans. They are pretty scary looking.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

hah hah Not really, brother. The power needs of self-propelled machines like these are way too massive to be supplied by internal power plants. They must be tethered to a high voltage power cable. Servo motors equivalent to human strength require a LOT of power over a long period of time.

Presently there is no self-contained internal power supply for high voltage needs other than lead acid batteries  or gas-turbines that are both very heavy, bulky and noisy (see Boston Dynamics). Until there is a breakthrough in compact high voltage power supplies which makes tethering unnecessary, robots such as envisioned in Westworld or other SF movies will remain just that - science fiction.

NOTE: There are robots that derive power from their own motion, but they are not capable of human strength.
We are just waiting on the reactor from Iron man.  :laugh:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
We are just waiting on the reactor from Iron man.  :laugh:

Ever actually looked at that thing?

It's a clutch plate painted with fluorescent paint.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline skeeter

Yep, I think they would do better to try to make them look like cute robots than humans. They are pretty scary looking.

I won't start worrying until I see one that looks like Yul Brenner.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

Ever actually looked at that thing?

It's a clutch plate painted with fluorescent paint.
That would explain how he built it in a cave with spare parts wouldn't it.  :laugh: You find a patent attorney and I'll head to the local pick-a-part and we will be in business.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
That would explain how he built it in a cave with spare parts wouldn't it.  :laugh: You find a patent attorney and I'll head to the local pick-a-part and we will be in business.

The Boston Dynamics walkers are fairly magnificent, but they howl like one of the Zanti Misfits piped over a P.A. system. You can even try to push them over and the software / balance protocols allow them to remain upright. Of course making all of that noise they are useless for any military application  which requires stealth - the enemy could hear it coming a mile away - so you might as well use a chopper, an air-drop or some sort of loud supercharged all-terrain vehicle to bring in supplies/ammo 'cause the enemy will know exactly where you are anyway with all of that infernal howling.

High-voltage, lightweight portable power supplies for robots are like caseless ammunition or nuclear fusion - everybody talks about them being on the horizon but they never quite emerge from pipe-dreams into the real world. The problem is any time you pack a lot of power into a very small package it becomes high risk for things like massive explosions, fires or emission of deadly radiation.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:29:51 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)