Author Topic: Solar Road Is ‘Total And Epic’ Failure, 83% Of Its Panels Break In A Week  (Read 2770 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
What did they think would happen?

Roughly 25 out of 30 panels installed in a prototype solar road in Idaho broke within a week, after the project received $3.9 million in funding and 6.5 years of development....

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2016/10/18/solar-road-has-total-and-epic-failure-as-83-of-its-panels-break-in-a-week/#ixzz4O8046WXS

Offline r9etb

What a surprise.  Who knew that cars were heavy, and trucks were heavier, and that bouncy-bouncy will cause breakable things to break?

geronl

of course

Offline Suppressed

What a surprise.  Who knew that cars were heavy, and trucks were heavier, and that bouncy-bouncy will cause breakable things to break?

None of those factors led to failure.  It says 18 of the 30 were dead from the factory.  Four were killed by poor drainage and rain.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline andy58-in-nh

None of those factors led to failure.  It says 18 of the 30 were dead from the factory.  Four were killed by poor drainage and rain.
Who needs quality control when government money is involved?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline roamer_1

Four were killed by poor drainage and rain.

And that ain't allowing for frost yet. No roads last long in the Rockies.

Offline r9etb

True -- and I know better than to post before reading....

That said: did they not do any acceptance testing on the damned things?

And "poor drainage and rain" is not a very difficult condition to meet for any road.  Heavy, wet, melting snow would be equivalent.

Offline Joe Wooten

As predicted by any engineer worth his salary. One of the STUPIDER ideas to come out of the alt energy crowd ever. I remember this topic coming up on another board over a year ago and damn near everyone commenting except for myself and a couple of engineers were singing the praises for this idea as the second coming. We were excoriated by the true believers as "not being able to think outside the box", "in the pay of the oil companies and utilities", and "stupidly evil".

Offline jpsb

Wrong, the project was a huge success. It brought in nearly $4,000,000.00 for the developers.

Offline Just_Victor

As predicted by any engineer worth his salary. One of the STUPIDER ideas to come out of the alt energy crowd ever. I remember this topic coming up on another board over a year ago and damn near everyone commenting except for myself and a couple of engineers were singing the praises for this idea as the second coming. We were excoriated by the true believers as "not being able to think outside the box", "in the pay of the oil companies and utilities", and "stupidly evil".

Well, I suppose it would be a great idea if it weren't for the engineering reality of constructing a road out of exceedingly fragile material.  Maybe we should look into making bridge beams out of glass.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 12:24:00 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Suppressed

The real problem with these is they won't generate a useful amount of power. See EEVBlog videos on Youtube for details.

Oh, I'm well aware of the impracticability of this costly and poorly conceived scheme.  I just wanted to point out that the true believers can still be milked for more $$$.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Joe Wooten

Oh, I'm well aware of the impracticability of this costly and poorly conceived scheme.  I just wanted to point out that the true believers can still be milked for more $$$.

Not their $$. Ours, the taxpayers money........

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
True -- and I know better than to post before reading....

That said: did they not do any acceptance testing on the damned things?

And "poor drainage and rain" is not a very difficult condition to meet for any road.  Heavy, wet, melting snow would be equivalent.
Every unit should have been tested before installation. If they didn't, that's bordering on criminal stupidity.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Just_Victor

@Just_Victor

No, it's way more than just the fragility of the materials. Watch the video I linked above if your interested.

I'm sure there's a plethora of engineering impossibilities.  That was just the first one that came to mind.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

Its not for roads, its more like a paver to go in sidewalks.   Very poor choice of a product name.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline r9etb

Its not for roads, its more like a paver to go in sidewalks.   Very poor choice of a product name.

You just have to wonder why they though this would be a practical idea.  When you look at the damage that gets done to regular roads by traffic -- and for those, you don't have to worry about maintaining electrical connections, keeping the dirt off, and so on.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
You just have to wonder why they though this would be a practical idea.  When you look at the damage that gets done to regular roads by traffic -- and for those, you don't have to worry about maintaining electrical connections, keeping the dirt off, and so on.
Even in sidewalks, ice chippers, snow shovels, puking drunks, the stray automobile or motorcycle, all sorts of abuse is heaped on that concrete...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis