Author Topic: Why did Hillary want Trump as her opponent?  (Read 4085 times)

Offline DiogenesLamp

Why did Hillary want Trump as her opponent?
« on: October 25, 2016, 06:34:45 pm »
I just figured this out.   Democrats absolutely do not care about uncouthness or sex scandals.   They don't care about immorality or graft or corruption.   Democrats being exposed in corruption or sex scandals is routine for them.   These sorts of things do not bother them.   

Who do these sorts of things bother?   They bother the socially prudish wing of the Republican party.   *THAT*  is who they bother.   

The Clinton campaign recognized that a formerly Liberal New Yorker would have a very strong "turn off"  value for the most concentrated section of the Republican base that focuses on moral issues.    The "values voters"  who make up a significant plurality of the Republican base would find him offensive,  and this would create a "wedge"  issue to split the only possible coalition the Republicans might form.   

Damned if it doesn't appear that some people are dancing to Hillary's tune. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Why did Hillary want Trump as her opponent?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 07:03:45 pm »
I don't believe for a second that there is any 'former' to his liberalism.   Trump talks a great deal about his powers of negotiating. In my opinion, all of his positions stated on his website during the primary are starting points.  I don't think he truly believes any of them and uses them to maneuver where he actually stands.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 07:06:14 pm »
I don't believe for a second that there is any 'former' to his liberalism.   Trump talks a great deal about his powers of negotiating. In my opinion, all of his positions stated on his website during the primary are starting points.  I don't think he truly believes any of them and uses them to maneuver where he actually stands.

Even if what you say is true,   do you not think Hillary's calculation is just as I have said,  and also playing out exactly as she had planned?   (Actually it was probably the Clinton campaign political consultants.  Hillary is an idiot.)   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 07:14:40 pm »
Not certain.  I have a feeling many who sat out for Romney will show up to vote for Trump.  Hillary is that despised.  Whether it offsets those who sit this one out or vote 3rd party in swing states remains to be seen.  Buyers remorse remains, either way.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 07:39:30 pm »
Not certain.  I have a feeling many who sat out for Romney will show up to vote for Trump. 

I suspect that is true for a bunch of people.   The Libertarian minded Republicans probably prefer Trump over Romney.  Romney did not excite the base at all.   He was just another North Eastern Liberal Republican who created his own version of Obamacare and who was too nice mannered to make an effective weapon against the Democrats.

Hillary is that despised.  Whether it offsets those who sit this one out or vote 3rd party in swing states remains to be seen.

Nobody knows the actual tally.  We are all projecting based on what we have gleaned over the years about the various demographics that make up ours and their coalitions.   

Nobody knows nuthin.   

Buyers remorse remains, either way.

I steeled myself  when I voted for HW Bush, knowing he would have me screaming at the TV screen for years if he won.   

I steeled myself when I voted for McCain,  knowing he would have me screaming at the TV screen for years if he won. 

I steeled myself when I voted for Romney,  knowing he would have me screaming at the TV screen for years if he won. 

I will steel myself when I vote for Trump,  knowing he will have me screaming at the TV screen for years if he wins. 

It's gonna be buyer's remorse no matter what happens,  and gee,  I sure miss Reagan. 

— Lord Melbourne —

geronl

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 07:41:56 pm »
Trump will do worse than Romney. He is a liberal and he has spent 20 years supporting Hillary and still does.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 09:36:24 pm »
Trump will do worse than Romney. He is a liberal and he has spent 20 years supporting Hillary and still does.

Trump is a con-man of no particular ideology.   He will do what he thinks his supporters want him to do.   

When he needed to be a "birther",  he became a "birther."    When he needed to oppose illegal immigration,  he supported "the Wall."   

Trump is a "Realpolitik"  sort of fellow and not an ideologue.    While he works for us,  he will likely do what he thinks we want.   

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 09:38:17 pm »
There is nothing "prudish" about abhorring a sexual pervert.

There is from the perspective of a Democrat.   They really really really don't care about their candidates engaging in sexual perversion,   and I mean the real stuff like homosexual sodomy and such.   

Talking about "grab the p*ssy"  doesn't even get on their radar when it comes to their party members. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 09:45:59 pm »
So, Hillary was right in her choice of Republican opponents.
She played it well, and the point being?
as if people weren't smart enough to see it?
Some of us were.

Has anyone asked why Trump and Bill Clinton met just 2 weeks before he annouced he was running?
Just golfing?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:10:07 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 10:07:41 pm »
So, Hillary was right in her choice of republlican opponents.

As I said,  it wasn't Hillary that thought this up.  She's an idiot.  More like Podesta or Bill thought of this and talked her into it.  So far as it being the "right"  choice,  that remains to be seen.   

They were likely right about how much of the social conservatives it alienated,   but I don't think they took into account how much Trump is currently appealing to much of their Union membership base,  or black people.   

I think if they had the choice to make over again,   they would probably prefer to run against Cruz.   Their attacks would have to be different,   but with the media helping,   they can come up with something to throw at him.

Has anyone asked why Trump and Bill Clinton met just 2 weeks before he annouced he was running?
Just goling?

I have little doubt that such a meeting may have happened,    but I am a long time "Birther",   and I figured out Trump was running way back when he started expressing interest in the Obama legitimacy issue,  several years ago. 

I thought at the time the man was trying to gain some support among this group of hard core conservative radicals,  and I wondered what it was he was expecting to get in return.   I speculated at the time that he was probably going to run for President because what else would he do? 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 10:12:31 pm »

As I said,  it wasn't Hillary that thought this up.  She's an idiot.  More like Podesta or Bill thought of this and talked her into it.  So far as it being the "right"  choice,  that remains to be seen.   

They were likely right about how much of the social conservatives it alienated,   but I don't think they took into account how much Trump is currently appealing to much of their Union membership base,  or black people.   

I think if they had the choice to make over again,   they would probably prefer to run against Cruz.   Their attacks would have to be different,   but with the media helping,   they can come up with something to throw at him.

I have little doubt that such a meeting may have happened,    but I am a long time "Birther",   and I figured out Trump was running way back when he started expressing interest in the Obama legitimacy issue,  several years ago. 

I thought at the time the man was trying to gain some support among this group of hard core conservative radicals,  and I wondered what it was he was expecting to get in return.   I speculated at the time that he was probably going to run for President because what else would he do?

I revised my post above.
Got interrupted, happening a lot today.
The golf outing 2 weeks before he announce he was running is a matter of record, on a golf course, seen together.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:13:05 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 10:19:15 pm »
Oh! And Look!  We have been moved to the DEATH ZONE for unwanted discussions.   

Every freakin thing in the POLITICS section is a string of opinions,   but yet mine are always getting moved to the backwaters of this site so they can be suppressed.     

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 10:20:49 pm »
I revised my post above.
Got interrupted, happening a lot today.

Real life always beckons.   I should listen to it more.   I think we all should. 

The golf outing 2 weeks before he announce he was running is a matter of record, on a golf course, seen together.

I don't doubt it,  but I think Trump had plans of running before that happened. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 11:53:24 pm »

Trump is a con-man of no particular ideology.   He will do what he thinks his supporters want him to do.   

When he needed to be a "birther",  he became a "birther."    When he needed to oppose illegal immigration,  he supported "the Wall."   

Trump is a "Realpolitik"  sort of fellow and not an ideologue.    While he works for us,  he will likely do what he thinks we want.

Billzebubba had a pretty good ability to put his hand the in air and see which way the wind was blowing before making decision didn't make him a great president. This is the first time I've seen being a a groundless unrooted wishy-washy squish considered a virtue. I have to hand it you that it's a new idea.

There's an old country song that says you've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 11:54:56 pm »
Oh! And Look!  We have been moved to the DEATH ZONE for unwanted discussions.   

Every freakin thing in the POLITICS section is a string of opinions,   but yet mine are always getting moved to the backwaters of this site so they can be suppressed.   
Maybe because this doesn't have a sourced article and most articles in POLITICS are op ed columns.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 02:10:16 am »

@DiogenesLamp

He is also an ego-maniac that most likely fears failure more than he fears death,and because of this he MIGHT end up being a semi-good president.

Which is 10x better than any president we have had since Reagan left office.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 02:11:23 am »

Talking about "grab the p*ssy"  doesn't even get on their radar when it comes to their party members.

@DiogenesLamp

And when there is such talk,it's coming from the females.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!