Author Topic: Secret Nazi military base discovered by Russian scientists in the Arctic  (Read 1292 times)

rangerrebew

Secret Nazi military base discovered by Russian scientists in the Arctic

Scientists reported finding bunkers, rusted bullets and other relics dating from the Second World War

Shehab Khan
    @shehabkhan
    Friday 21 October 2016

A secret Nazi military base in the Arctic has been discovered by Russian scientists.

The site – located on the island of Alexandra Land 1,000km from the North Pole 0150 was constructed in 1942, a year after Adolf Hitler invaded Russia.

It was codenamed “Schatzgraber” or “Treasure Hunter” by the Germans and was primarily used as a tactical weather station.

The base was abandoned when the scientists stationed there were poisoned by polar bear meat in 1944 and had to be rescued by a German U-boat.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/secret-nazi-military-base-russian-scientists-alexandra-land-a7373401.html
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:05:26 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Just_Victor

Re: Secret Nazi military base discovered by Russian scientists in the Arctic
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 12:31:24 pm »
Scientists reported finding bunkers, rusted bullets...

I'm not sure what the NAZIs were using for ammo, but the last time I checked, lead and brass don't rust.  They do oxidize, but rust refers specifically to the oxidation of iron.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 12:46:10 pm »
Scientists reported finding bunkers, rusted bullets...

I'm not sure what the NAZIs were using for ammo, but the last time I checked, lead and brass don't rust.  They do oxidize, but rust refers specifically to the oxidation of iron.

'The Germans had started using steel cases in World War I, "and by the end of 1943, most German ammunition had that type of case." '

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.92%C3%9757mm_Mauser

Just a thought (along with an assumption that the article author doesn't know what a "bullet" is).
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 12:53:03 pm »
'The Germans had started using steel cases in World War I, "and by the end of 1943, most German ammunition had that type of case." '

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.92%C3%9757mm_Mauser

Just a thought (along with an assumption that the article author doesn't know what a "bullet" is).

I was wondering if maybe the NAZIs were using steel casings.  But the "bullet" is pretty much always lead, and never solid steel.  Unless you want to replace your barrel every 100 rounds or so.

But you're right, the author is clueless on the definitions.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 01:04:24 pm »
I was wondering if maybe the NAZIs were using steel casings.  But the "bullet" is pretty much always lead, and never solid steel.  Unless you want to replace your barrel every 100 rounds or so.

But you're right, the author is clueless on the definitions.

According to that wikipedia page, the Germans did produce casings that were made of lacquered steel (amongst other variants).