Author Topic: Have they reversed the curse? Chicago Cubs defeat the Los Angeles Dodgers to advance to the team's first World Series since 1945  (Read 956 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Have they reversed the curse? Chicago Cubs defeat the Los Angeles Dodgers to advance to the team's first World Series since 1945

Chicago Cubs are on their way to the team's first World Series since 1945
    Defeated the Los Angeles Dodges on Saturday night with 5-0 victory
    If the Cubs win the World Series it will be the team's first title since 1908
    More than 42,000 people crammed into Chicago's Wrigley Field to watch
    The Cubs will take on the Cleveland Indians, who haven't won since 1948
    The first game of the World Series will be played in Cleveland on Tuesday

By Kalhan Rosenblatt For Dailymail.com and Associated Press

Published: 22:08 EST, 22 October 2016 | Updated: 00:54 EST, 23 October 2016

The Chicago Cubs have done what some thought was impossible and are on their way to the team's first World Series since 1945.

On Saturday night, the Cubs beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-0 in Game Six of the National League Championship Series.

In the locker room the team doused each other in champagne as they celebrated the the hard-fought win.

more
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3863546/Cubs-beat-Dodgers-5-0-reach-1st-World-Series-1945.html#ixzz4NsRRNWzD
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
That was then: The team with the most ex-Cubs lost.

This is now: The Cubs won because they were the team with the fewest ex-Cubs.

:laugh:

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline dfwgator

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Should be a fun series.   Each are teams steeped in lore,  and neither team has won it all within my lifetime or that of 90% of the audience. 

This has been an historic playoff even before the World Series begins,  because it may lead to a change in thinking in how bullpens are used.   I was aghast along with Baltimore fans when their do or die game went to multiple extras and the best reliever of the century wasn't used.    And Francona reacts by using Andrew Miller early and often,  enough to win the tourney MVP.   

Thought I'd be rooting for the Cubs,  but I'm really diggin' the Tribe.   A lot of stuff's up in the air these days.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline EasyAce

Should be a fun series.   Each are teams steeped in lore,  and neither team has won it all within my lifetime or that of 90% of the audience. 

This has been an historic playoff even before the World Series begins,  because it may lead to a change in thinking in how bullpens are used.   I was aghast along with Baltimore fans when their do or die game went to multiple extras and the best reliever of the century wasn't used.    And Francona reacts by using Andrew Miller early and often,  enough to win the tourney MVP.   

Thought I'd be rooting for the Cubs,  but I'm really diggin' the Tribe.   A lot of stuff's up in the air these days.   

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

I hear they're still trying to find Zach Britton in Baltimore . . .

Showalter's Vapour Lets the Jays Have a Blast

(p.s. The best reliever of the century? The Mariano might have a thing or three to say about that . . . ;) But Britton was one of the two best
relievers this season, and only one of them is going to the World Series. He pitches for the Indians, in case you'd forgotten . . .)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I hear they're still trying to find Zach Britton in Baltimore . . .

Showalter's Vapour Lets the Jays Have a Blast

(p.s. The best reliever of the century? The Mariano might have a thing or three to say about that . . . ;) But Britton was one of the two best
relievers this season, and only one of them is going to the World Series. He pitches for the Indians, in case you'd forgotten . . .)

Forgive the hyperbole,  but there's an argument that no reliever's had a more dominant season than ZB had this year.   (I saw some sabermatrician argue the other day that Miller's season was just as good,  but that ERA of, what,  0.56,  stands out like a "huh"?)

Mariano's the greatest, he did it for years and for years,  ironically by doing much like what Zach Britton did this year -  have freakish command of an unusual pitch and just keep throwing it.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline EasyAce

Forgive the hyperbole,  but there's an argument that no reliever's had a more dominant season than ZB had this year.   (I saw some sabermatrician argue the other day that Miller's season was just as good,  but that ERA of, what,  0.56,  stands out like a "huh"?)

Miller's fielding-independent pitching (FIP)---what he threw and its results without his defense's help---was 1.53, and his walks/hits
per inning pitched rate (WHIP) was 0.55. Britton's FIP was 1.94 and his WHIP was 0.84. That tells you that Britton got a bit more help from
his defense than Miller did, though not by much. There's almost not a dime's worth of difference between them, but my nickel goes to
Miller.

In case you'd like to compare them in postseason pitching, Britton worked in six games in the 2014 postseason, with a 3.86 ERA and a
2.14 WHIP over the six, though he did get credit for four saves. Miller, in fact, was his teammate in 2014 and outpitched him by a
considerable margin. Overall, Miller has pitched in twelve postseason games including this season's Indians games; his complete jacket:
no earned runs surrendered, no earned runs, three walks to 31 punchouts, and a 0.45 WHIP. Even allowing that he's gotten to work
more postseason innings, I'll take Miller over Britton by a hair.

But I still think Showalter made a colossal blunder not bringing in Britton to face Encarnacion . . .