Author Topic: Immigrant who can't speak English feels alienated by US  (Read 1149 times)

rangerrebew

Immigrant who can't speak English feels alienated by US
« on: October 23, 2016, 01:54:37 pm »
October 23, 2016
By Ed Straker

The Washington Post published a touching story about an immigrant who feels alienated because she can't speak English well. She feels "vetted" all the time by evil Americans because of her lack of ability to speak our language.

My one wish is for Americans to appreciate the degree to which my mom and the millions of other stuttering, thick-accented immigrants in menial jobs have already been vetted, and continue to be vetted, every day. They’ve been stripped of their personalities, skills, jokes, opinions, dignity and dreams by the language barrier. They’ve been questioned about who they are and what they’re doing in this country — by police, store clerks, employers, customers and the ghosts of their past. They’ve been vetted since they set foot on U.S. soil, they’re vetted every time they open their mouths, and they’ll continue to be vetted, in an extreme fashion, for the rest of their lives.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/10/immigrant_who_cant_speak_english_feels_alienated_by_us.html#ixzz4NusOjTHb
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Immigrant who can't speak English feels alienated by US
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 01:52:30 am »
"Immigrant who can't speak English feels alienated by US"

Why not return to where she came from, where everyone speaks her language and she should be welcomed with open arms....?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 10:13:07 am »
All four of my husband's grandparents came to America in the early 1900s with little or no grasp of the English language. Instead of whining about it, they got to work, tried to learn to communicate and raised their children to be proud and responsible Americans.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 12:57:53 pm »
Huh?  The sheer numbers of "americans" who can't speak or write English properly is growing day by day thanks to the social activism wing of the USG called the Dept. of Education.

Just hang around for a little while snowflake, you'll find folks who are quite incapable of putting together coherent sentences and will fit right in.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 01:40:26 pm »
October 23, 2016
By Ed Straker

The Washington Post published a touching story about an immigrant who feels alienated because she can't speak English well. She feels "vetted" all the time by evil Americans because of her lack of ability to speak our language.

My one wish is for Americans to appreciate the degree to which my mom and the millions of other stuttering, thick-accented immigrants in menial jobs have already been vetted, and continue to be vetted, every day. They’ve been stripped of their personalities, skills, jokes, opinions, dignity and dreams by the language barrier. They’ve been questioned about who they are and what they’re doing in this country — by police, store clerks, employers, customers and the ghosts of their past. They’ve been vetted since they set foot on U.S. soil, they’re vetted every time they open their mouths, and they’ll continue to be vetted, in an extreme fashion, for the rest of their lives.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2016/10/immigrant_who_cant_speak_english_feels_alienated_by_us.html#ixzz4NusOjTHb
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

I was stationed in Germany from 77-81. During my first two years, what little German I picked up was from Berlitz, and living on the economy. Just didn't have the time, as I was with an isolated unit, and I was pulling staff duty officer twice a week, and every other weekend.

When I was "kicked upstairs" to Battalion HQ, I took advantage of more free time, and took a couple of six week immersion classes. That was followed a few months later with a TDY assignment at a German antiaircraft range in Northern Germany. During that period, my conversational skills were more than adequate. The German base commander pulled me aside after our first meeting, and said "you don't need an interpreter."

My last two years in Germany were among the most enjoyable of my entire life, to include engaging in political discussions with my neighbors during the 1980 elections.

My suggestion to those with limited English skills is simple: take an English immersion course, or two. Good things will come from that small investment of time and money. I know, I experienced that myself.

Nobody wins by sitting at home and doing nothing.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 01:43:57 pm »
Go

home

then.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 02:47:38 pm »
All four of my husband's grandparents came to America in the early 1900s with little or no grasp of the English language. Instead of whining about it, they got to work, tried to learn to communicate and raised their children to be proud and responsible Americans.
My parents arrived in 1950 speaking two languages, neither of which were English, as many immigrants back then as now, they initially stayed in a community of fellow language speakers but strove to not only learn English but the history and governing principles of America so as to become citizens and assimilate into their new home. The difference with most immigrants now is that they have no intention of assimilating and fitting in to America, instead they demand America conform to the societal and cultural values of the country they left. If they so desire to maintain that life, they should have never left it to come to America.

Offline chae

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 03:04:25 pm »
A friend of mine is half-Hispanic and his grandmother would yell at him if he ever used Spanish.   She spoke English, she would get so upset at him saying that she wanted him to be successful and he wouldn't be if he talked like a "wetback".
He's also half-Comanche and he doesn't understand how come we white people haven't learned from what happened with the white settlers and the Native Americans, about what happens when the people living i an area have no control over whoever decides to immigrate there.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 03:04:51 pm »

Why not return to where she came from, where everyone speaks her language and she should be welcomed with open arms....?

Or better yet if she'd like to stay here I suggest this:

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 03:05:50 pm »

Odds are where she came from, everybody there is learning English. 

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 03:07:05 pm »
 There are also free websites like Duolingo.  I managed to get fairly proficient in French using it.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 03:10:51 pm »
Here's what I don't get about her complaint.  You don't have to know English to thrive in America these days...unfortunately.

Hell you don't even have to take the oath of citizenship in English anymore if you don't want to.

My guess is this is an illegal...a tidbit the WaPo chose to leave out and therefore she can't request or have made available the kind of things that would make her life easier and still not require her to learn the language of the country she now lives in.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 03:20:08 pm »
There are also free websites like Duolingo.  I managed to get fairly proficient in French using it.

Thanks for the tip, gator. I'm planning a trip back to Germany in 2020, and I was thinking about buying Rosetta Stone. I'll check out Duolingo first.

Why 2020? Many reasons, to include The Passion Play in Oberammergau, and I'll need to save up for it...planning to spend 6-8 weeks there.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Jewbacca

• All Wookies Are Jewish
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 03:26:02 pm »
My parents arrived in 1950 speaking two languages, neither of which were English, as many immigrants back then as now, they initially stayed in a community of fellow language speakers but strove to not only learn English but the history and governing principles of America so as to become citizens and assimilate into their new home. The difference with most immigrants now is that they have no intention of assimilating and fitting in to America, instead they demand America conform to the societal and cultural values of the country they left. If they so desire to maintain that life, they should have never left it to come to America.

I teach pilots and write manuals in English.  I am a native Hebrew speaker.  I have a terrible accent, but do fine.

Bluntly, the unspoken difference between your parents and the new immigrants is a combination of lower IQ than past immigrants, lack of a cultural drive to improve and fit in, and a cynical desire on the part of the powers-that-be to keep them marginalized by maintaining lower English proficiency (and thus cheaper to mow their lawns and clean their houses due to a lack of job opportunities).
The residents of Iroquois Territory shall not determine if Jews may  live in Jerusalem.

Offline bolobaby

How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!