Author Topic: Online Universities -- Advice (Vanity)  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Applewood

Online Universities -- Advice (Vanity)
« on: October 22, 2016, 08:12:57 pm »
A friend of mine, age 70, has decided she wants to go back to school.  So she is thinking about enrolling in an online-only university --one of those which advertises on tv.  I'm old enough to remember correspondence schools and in fact, once dated a guy who graduated from one of those scams only to find that prospective employers would not accept his education credentials.   I'm concerned that my friend will suffer the same fate as my former boyfriend.

Have any of you had any personal experience with online universities or know anyone who has?  If so, was the diploma or degree accepted by employers?  Are these schools worth the money and effort?

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Online Universities -- Advice (Vanity)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 08:25:13 pm »
At 70, does accredited matter? Hell, after most peoples first job after college, employers only care about what job you did last and not where you went.

HonestJohn

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 08:58:07 pm »
A friend of mine, age 70, has decided she wants to go back to school.  So she is thinking about enrolling in an online-only university --one of those which advertises on tv.  I'm old enough to remember correspondence schools and in fact, once dated a guy who graduated from one of those scams only to find that prospective employers would not accept his education credentials.   I'm concerned that my friend will suffer the same fate as my former boyfriend.

Have any of you had any personal experience with online universities or know anyone who has?  If so, was the diploma or degree accepted by employers?  Are these schools worth the money and effort?

Almost ever accredited college and university has an online campus nowadays.

I went with UMUC (University of Maryland University Campus).

Each cost per credit was $250... and they included most of the text readings with that.

I'd say that, unless you're going for an engineering or medical degree, it's just as good in terms of the education.  And it's all self-paced (assignments and exercises are due weekly, but you do them whenever you have the time or desire within the week).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:03:34 pm by HonestJohn »

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 09:00:40 pm »
If it is advertising on TV then it will probably cost her a few bucks.

She should check out the schools in her own state. Most state colleges, community colleges and universities offer online classes, additionally most states offer free or reduced tuition to residents over 65...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:06:02 pm by montanajoe »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 02:49:14 am »
Thank you everyone for your help.  :bighug:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 06:28:55 am by Applewood »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 05:14:17 am »
Mom did it. She got her B.Sc from an online university - had a hell of a good time doing it too.  :laugh:

While she has never actually used hers to get a job, she kept in touch with quite a few friends she made during the summer residential portions of the course and they did with no problems at all.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink