Author Topic: OK. You've just destroyed the Republican Party. What will you replace it with?  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
This is not a complicated question.

You have decided to vote down ticket for Democrats because you are pissed off with the Republican Party and you think there is nothing different between the so-called RINOs and the Democrats.

So now that you have destroyed the GOP, what are you going to replace it with?

Online corbe

I agree with @RAT Patrol , we didn't destroy it, we tried very hard to save what little integrity it had left.

A reinvigorated Constitution Party, it's doable.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DB

As far as I know only hard core Trump supporters are saying they aren't going to vote for Republicans down ticket. I have not heard a single Never Trump make that claim.

The only "Republican" I'm not voting for this election is Trump.

So put the blame where it belongs.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
This is not a complicated question.

You have decided to vote down ticket for Democrats because you are pissed off with the Republican Party and you think there is nothing different between the so-called RINOs and the Democrats.

As you can see, no one bought into your flawed premise. We're like modern-day Ronald Reagans: we didn't leave our party, our party left us. And many of us were summarily ejected from our party by those who weren't happy with our failure to get behind a candidate that we determined was, at best, odious. Unlike Reagan, however, we don't have another major party to turn to.

We don't know what will transpire after all the 2016 votes are counted, so there's no way to tell you what needs to be done. This much I'll tell you. Neither I nor the people who have taken a stand against Trump due to conscience and conviction will be intimidated by those who insist on putting the blame on us. We were, after all, begging the Republicans not to nominate this individual.

Question for the primary voters who insisted on making him the nominee even though he had huge negatives in his own party: why could you not show us the consideration of hearing us out? I've been treated more respectfully by rabid Dems than I have by Trump Republicans. A little introspection might be in order to figure out how many possible supporters Trump folks ran off with their belligerence.

It's too early to ask this question -- unless the actual purpose was just to take a swipe at the non-Trumpsters.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Blame is a luxury that can wait, no?

There are three options:

1/ Reclaim the Republican party.

2/ Move to/take over a smaller party.

3/ Create a new party from scratch.

While option 1 seems most appealing, it's a waste of time in my book. Political parties have a brand image and it's associated baggage, and the GOP's brand is pretty badly soiled. Not just by Trump, I'll add.

2 and 3 are both doable (3 has been done before, after all) but come with their own problem - fracture. Part of the GOP's problem was it wasn't an ideology in and of itself, it was a broad coalition of people with much of the same thoughts but differing priorities within those thoughts. Unless i is carefully done indeed, and with some mighty fancy footwork, you are going to wind up with 4 parties, all of whom can legitimately refer to themselves as conservative.

Me, I'd go for option 2 as the better choice, with the Constitution Party as the chosen vehicle.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink