Author Topic: Department of Homeland Security launches urgent investigation as massive ongoing series of cyber attacks takes down sites including Amazon, Spotify, Reddit and Twitter  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
    Github, SoundCloud and PayPal also reported to be down
    Some of Amazon's cloud services also believed to have been hit
    Outage appeared to be primarily affecting web users on the US East Coast
    Second wave of attacks began around 1PM ET
    Department of Homeland Security 'investigating all potential causes'
    The ongoing interruption of its network resulting from a DDoS attack
    DDoS attacks are a primitive form of hacking using botnets - networks of computers that hackers bring under their control

By Libby Plummer For Mailonline

A massive co-ordinated series of cyber attacks has forced hundreds of major websites from Amazon to Twitter offline.

Internet service company Dyn, which controls the 'address book' of the internet for dozens of major companies, said that it had suffered its first denial of service (DDoS) attack shortly after 6AM ET (11AM BST), in an attack that mostly affected the east coast of the US.

It confirmed a second attack at 1PM ET, which appeared to be centred on UK servers, and later said 'several' attacks were underway on servers across the globe, with the west coast being particularly badly hit.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3859500/Widespread-internet-havoc-major-attack-takes-websites-offline-Spotify-Twitter-sites-suffer-outages.html#ixzz4NkpDurGb
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline livius

Everything and everywhere was badly hit.  This was an extremely aggressive attack. I live in NE Florida, hardly a liberal bastion, and we couldn't connect to anything at all for several hours.

Anyway, even if these were what you call "liberal" areas, don't you think they could hit whatever theoretically conservative paradise you live in?  And this affected you in any case, because these were national-level businesses.

Wingnut

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Online roamer_1

It is becoming more important to retain IP addresses - This sort of thing is becoming common.

I have a folder in my bookmarks called 'By IP'.
I go find the ip address for important news and forum sites... (using 'whois gopbriefingroom.com' in any search engine)
Get the IP addy from that info
Plug it into the address bar
go to the site that way, log in, and bookmark it as 'TBR by IP' and store it in my bookmarks in the 'By IP' folder.

The next time you can't access due to DNS downtime, the IP will still get you there.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
It is becoming more important to retain IP addresses - This sort of thing is becoming common.

I go find the ip address for important news and forum sites... (using 'whois gopbriefingroom.com' in any search engine)
go to the site that way, log in, and bookmark it as 'TBR by IP' and store it in my bookmarks in the 'By IP' folder.

The next time you can't access due to DNS downtime, the IP will still get you there.

Solid idea roamer. Cheers!  :beer:

Won't work for everything, of course, but will be enough.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
So is this something that only those state sponsored resources can do, or is this the mouse that roared?
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

Solid idea roamer. Cheers!  :beer:

Won't work for everything, of course, but will be enough.

Thanks for the props @EC  :beer:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Good idea!

Offline mountaineer

We're right under one of those orange blobs on the map and weren't affected at all.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
We're right under one of those orange blobs on the map and weren't affected at all.  :shrug:

Same here, but I understand it was only some web addresses.

But, then I think I know how this sort of thing works.  Maybe I don't.  Perhaps some of our more web-infrastructure savvy members could explain what happened?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 02:00:18 pm by Sanguine »

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Everything and everywhere was badly hit.  This was an extremely aggressive attack. I live in NE Florida, hardly a liberal bastion, and we couldn't connect to anything at all for several hours.

Anyway, even if these were what you call "liberal" areas, don't you think they could hit whatever theoretically conservative paradise you live in?  And this affected you in any case, because these were national-level businesses.
See that large, dark oval on the LEFT coast?  Yeah, that one that covers ALL of CA...I'm there.

Besides, my comment was completely tongue in cheek, sorry it missed you.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.