Author Topic: Clinton, Trump neck-and-neck in new Texas poll  (Read 714 times)

cuky

Clinton, Trump neck-and-neck in new Texas poll
« on: October 21, 2016, 02:41:39 pm »

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/18/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-texas-wisconsin-presidential-poll/?iid=ob_lockedrail_topeditorial

Washington (CNN)Hillary Clinton is narrowing in on Donald Trump's lead in Texas, according to a new poll released on Tuesday.

Trump leads Clinton 41% to 38%, according to the latest University of Houston survey. Libertarian presidential nominee Gary Johnson stands in third place with 4% support, followed by Green Party nominee Jill Stein at 1%, with 11% undecided.
GOP presidential candidates have won Texas by no less than 11 percentage points since 2000, according to a memo accompanying the poll results. Democrats last won Texas in a presidential race in 1976.

Offline corbe

Re: Clinton, Trump neck-and-neck in new Texas poll
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 03:00:29 pm »

Democrats last won Texas in a presidential race in 1976.

Gerald R Ford was probably the reason Lawrence Peter wrote the Peter Principle, not to mention the backlash of Nixon/Watergate.

Allot of analogies to 1976 election and 2020. The GOP denied Reagan the nomination and selected Ford in 1976, only to be annihilated by Carter.  Reagan came back  like a tornado in 1980 and Cruz will too in 2020, rising from the ashes of a discredited GOP, or hopefully taking over an existent party or starting another.

A man can dream, cain't he?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 03:44:05 pm »

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/18/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-texas-wisconsin-presidential-poll/?iid=ob_lockedrail_topeditorial

Washington (CNN)Hillary Clinton is narrowing in on Donald Trump's lead in Texas, according to a new poll released on Tuesday.

Trump leads Clinton 41% to 38%, according to the latest University of Houston survey. Libertarian presidential nominee Gary Johnson stands in third place with 4% support, followed by Green Party nominee Jill Stein at 1%, with 11% undecided.
GOP presidential candidates have won Texas by no less than 11 percentage points since 2000, according to a memo accompanying the poll results. Democrats last won Texas in a presidential race in 1976.

Trump........41%
Clinton.......38%
Johnson......4%
Stein...........1%
Undecided..11%

TOTAL........95%

So... where's the other 5%?   :pondering:
Let it burn.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 03:52:09 pm »
  No habla espanol, pollsters could not reach the 5% of 'undocumented' Voters.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 04:02:51 pm »
Trump........41%
Clinton.......38%
Johnson......4%
Stein...........1%
Undecided..11%

TOTAL........95%

So... where's the other 5%?   :pondering:

The actual survey results report lists two categories missing there:

None: 3%
Refused: 2%
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 04:18:27 pm »
The actual survey results report lists two categories missing there:

None: 3%
Refused: 2%

Thank you! I did click on the CNN story but did not click through to the actual survey. My bad.  :shrug:

I don't know, I find it hard to believe that Trump and Clinton are that close... but I guess it's a sign that a lot of Texas voters who would otherwise support the Republican nominee are not comfortable with Trump (or are not comfortable saying that they will vote for Trump).  It may be that a lot of the "Undecided" and "No Response" people will end up voting for Trump.  A total of 16% Undecided/No Response seems high to me, this far into the campaign season, but I'm no expert.

I think this year especially, the pre-election polls are going to be more unreliable than ever before.
Let it burn.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 04:23:51 pm »
Hmmm....that poll is kind of disturbing.  The repubs have run the state for quite a few years now.  I'd hate the thought of the dems making a come back.  I think part of the problem is that many will not vote for Pres., but will vote down ticket, like I'll do.