Author Topic: New report details Trump-inspired surge in anti-Semitism  (Read 1776 times)

HonestJohn

New report details Trump-inspired surge in anti-Semitism
« on: October 21, 2016, 04:12:01 am »
ADL finds 70 percent of the virulent tweets came from just 1,600 accounts.

Updated by Matthew Yglesias
Oct 19, 2016, 9:30a

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/19/13326336/trump-antisemitism

A new report from the Anti-Defamation League confirms that one of the Trump presidential campaign’s odder legacies is the revival of a strong form of anti-Semitism in American political discourse. It’s occurring most notably on Twitter, which has become a platform for the constant dissemination of various Holocaust memes and ethnic slurs.

Anyone who, like me, is both Jewish and writes about politics on the internet will have noticed this casually. But today’s ADL report is the first effort to formally quantify the anti-Semitic speech on Twitter and illustrate clear linkages to Trump and the “alt-right” movements that support him.

Their study covers the period from August of 2015 to July of 2016, i.e., mostly focused on the meat of the Republican Party primary campaign rather than the general election. It found about 2.6 million tweets containing clear markers of anti-Semitic content, that combined for a total reach of 10 billion impressions. The ADL worries that the wide dissemination of these anti-Semitic tweets “may contribute to reinforcing and normalizing anti-Semitic language on a massive scale.”

And yet despite the large scale of social media anti-Semitism, the ADL also found that it was remarkably concentrated.

Almost 70 percent of the tweets in question came from 1,600 accounts — that’s a lot of people, but it’s not exactly a mass social movement. Since one person can operate multiple accounts (and, indeed, the ADL found that 21 percent of the 1,600 had been suspended, possibly leading the proprietor to open a new account) it’s quite possible that a few hundred people are responsible for the vast majority of the anti-Jewish content.

The study also found that during this period at least over 80 percent of the anti-Semitic tweets were aimed at just 10 journalists. My personal experience has been that Jew-hating Twitter considerably expanded its target list since the summer, so it will be interesting to see if an ADL follow-up confirms that.

Trump unleashed an unfocused torrent of hate

The report also confirms the clear and obvious link between the Trump campaign and online anti-Semitism, even while gingerly noting that Trump does not personally appear to have encouraged any of this behavior:

There is evidence that a considerable number of the anti-Semitic tweets targeting journalists originate with people identifying themselves as Trump supporters, “conservatives” or extreme right-wing elements. The words that show up most in the bios of Twitter user’s sending anti-Semitic tweets to journalists are “Trump,” “nationalist,” “conservative,” “American” and “white.” This finding does not imply that Mr. Trump supported these tweets, or that conservatives are more prone to anti-Semitism. It does show that the individuals directing anti-Semitism toward journalists self-identified as Trump supporters and conservatives.

To me it’s precisely Trump’s lack of personal involvement in anti-Semitism (at least until very recently) that makes the way his campaign is stirring up anti-Jewish sentiments so fascinating. Trump quite clearly has built his political profile in large part on dislike of blacks (birtherism) and Latinos (Mexicans are rapists) and Muslims (the total ban on immigration “until we figure out what’s going on”) even while maintaining a very close relationship with an Orthodox Jewish son-in-law.

What we’ve seen from the Trump-o-verse is that many bigots do not make these same fine-grained distinctions. Once you position yourself as the leader of a white nationalist movement, you end up with a lot of anti-Semites in your followership. And Trump, tellingly, has never said or done anything to discourage this kind of behavior.

(more at link)

Offline endicom

Re: New report details Trump-inspired surge in anti-Semitism
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 05:17:10 am »
The dark night of anti-Semitism is always descending upon the Republicans and always landing in the far Left. Leftists have  been deflecting anti-Semitism this way for a hundred years, for crying out loud.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 07:07:58 am »
Um, what?

Look - I have a firm belief in your basic decency. Go to the Daily Stormer. Read the comments on ANY political article. Don't even reply to me with what you find, but think about what you've seen. OK?

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

HonestJohn

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 08:28:27 am »
Um, what?

Look - I have a firm belief in your basic decency. Go to the Daily Stormer. Read the comments on ANY political article. Don't even reply to me with what you find, but think about what you've seen. OK?

Who are you responding to?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 08:36:56 am »
Endicom.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 09:09:42 am »
But when there was an article on the anti-semitism of the Democrats...

***jimney

Probably because the ADL seems to back Democrats and in turn, backs genocide themselves.

ADL is a joke.

And we just saw Catholics raked over the coals by the Clinton email scandal and again.

***jimney

Pure hypocrisy.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 09:27:01 am »
Possibly because we expect that crap from Dems, so it's barely worth a comment now?

Conservatives stand for equality of opportunity, don't they? Kinda hard to stand for that when you are busy flushing entire groups down the toilet.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 10:37:42 am »
Possibly because we expect that crap from Dems, so it's barely worth a comment now?

Conservatives stand for equality of opportunity, don't they? Kinda hard to stand for that when you are busy flushing entire groups down the toilet.

Or into the metaphorical ovens.

geronl

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 10:50:51 am »
Trumpers are upset that this is reported like it's a bad thing. :whistle:

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 11:04:20 am »

***jimney

Probably because the ADL seems to back Democrats and in turn, backs genocide themselves.

ADL is a joke.

And we just saw Catholics raked over the coals by the Clinton email scandal and again.

***jimney

Pure hypocrisy.

A number of Trump supporters I've encountered are actual liberal Democrats.  They might be registered as Republicans, but I've listened to them talk and read their comments on social media, and I can tell they are not conservatives.  The problem with this report is that it assumes the individuals perpetrating this antisemitism are conservative.  Perhaps if the writers actually looked at who or what these supporters really are, they wouldn't jump to the wrong conclusion.

Offline endicom

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 11:33:49 am »
Um, what?

I'll leave the Stormer stuff to you.

What I've seen? Having been born in 1945 and in NYC and growing up in a predominantly Jewish section of NYC, I'm to take instruction from some guy on the internet?

HonestJohn

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 05:45:32 pm »

***jimney

ADL is a joke.

***jimney

Pure hypocrisy.

Nope.

The ADL is not a joke.

The overwhelming majority of American Jews view the organization favorably.

You are stating that the views of American Jewry are a joke.

Who are you to dismiss their views on an organization dedicated on their behalf?

This is the equivalent of thinking Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has any credibility when he talks about the Catholic Church.

HonestJohn

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 05:47:26 pm »
A number of Trump supporters I've encountered are actual liberal Democrats.  They might be registered as Republicans, but I've listened to them talk and read their comments on social media, and I can tell they are not conservatives.  The problem with this report is that it assumes the individuals perpetrating this antisemitism are conservative.  Perhaps if the writers actually looked at who or what these supporters really are, they wouldn't jump to the wrong conclusion.

I think the real problem is that the GOP does not toss them out.  Buckley weeded them out in the 1970s and 1980s and now the GOP has let them back in.

And as long as they are the pundits and Presidential candidates for the 'conservative' party, a la the GOP, then conservatives are tarred with their behavior.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 05:49:41 pm »
ADL is just a group for the Democrats who has objected if the amount of abortion in the US is compared to the holocaust.

HonestJohn

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 05:51:41 pm »
ADL is just a group for the Democrats who has objected if the amount of abortion in the US is compared to the holocaust.

Whatever, Ahmadinejad.

Offline Resp3

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 05:55:26 pm »
New report details Trump-inspired surge in anti-Semitism

This is what Trump meant when he was explaining in the last debate how the election is being rigged. By a lying and corrupt media.

Reports like this just confirm what we already know about the enemedia that is working to ruin America.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 06:25:54 pm »
Um, what?

Daily Stormer is vile, but you don't have to go that far to find the anti-Semites. Supposedly "respectable" sites like TakiMag have their share of anti-Semites even though they have  a number of Jewish columnists. Some  white-identity sites like American Renaissance have a large amount of anti-Semites.
All those sites are clearly pro-Trump.
To be fair the leaders of some of those white-identity sites, like Jared Taylor of American Renaissance, do not appear to be Jew-haters or haters of non-whites. Taylor, himself, is married to a person of Japanese ancestry.
But judging by the comments after articles it  seems the bulk of commenters on American Renaissance and similar white-identity sites are both anti-Semitic and strongly pro-Trump.
I personally do not think Trump is a racist or anti-Semitic. I think he has always simply been a huge booster of Donald Trump.  But unfortunately, by his ill-considered comments he has attracted a fairly large amount of people who hate everybody they don't consider white.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 06:28:28 pm by goatprairie »