Author Topic: Trump: I'll accept election results — if I win  (Read 1567 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump: I'll accept election results — if I win
« on: October 20, 2016, 06:03:32 pm »
October 20, 2016, 12:42 pm
Trump: I'll accept election results — if I win

By Jonathan Swan

Donald Trump opened up a Thursday campaign rally by saying he'll accept the results of the presidential election as long as he wins.

"I will totally accept the result of this great and historic presidential election," Trump told supporters in Delaware, Ohio.

He then paused dramatically.

"If I win."

The crowd went wild.

Later in the speech, Trump said that he would accept a "clear election result," leaving the door open to conceding the race if Hillary Clinton wins by an overwhelming margin.

"I would accept a clear election result but I would also reserve my right to contest or file a legal challenge in the case of a questionable result," Trump told his crowd.

"And always, I will follow and abide by all of the rules and traditions of all of the many candidates who have come before me."

"Bottom line," he added to cheers, "we are going to win."

The Republican nominee has faced a backlash for declining to say at Wednesday's night's debate that he would accept the results of the election. He said he would keep the country in “suspense.” 

As Trump falls in the polls, he has taken to telling supporters that the media and widespread voter fraud are "rigging" the election against him.

At Thursday's rally, Trump said the only reason he won't accept the results in advance is because he's convinced Clinton is cheating.

"We want fairness in the election," he said. "Don't be naive folks."

"A campaign like Clinton's that will incite violence is truly a campaign that will do anything to win," he said.

The Republican said Clinton is the most corrupt and dishonest person ever to run for president.

"It was in that context that I was asked, in advance, to concede the results on election night, if for some reason we should lose," he said, referring to the debate. "That was sort of an unprecedented question."

Trump said that if Democratic nominee Al Gore or Republican nominee for president, George W. Bush, had agreed to the same question three weeks before the 2000 election, there would have been no Supreme Court case contesting the recount in Florida.

"In effect I'm being asked to wave centuries of legal precedent," Trump said, "designed to protect the voters."

That argument isn't sitting well with some Republicans.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who withdrew support from Trump earlier this month, issued a lengthy statement Thursday saying the loser of the election has a “duty to concede” the race.

Recalling his own "reluctant" concession of the 2008 race to President Obama, McCain said accepting the results "isn’t just an exercise in graciousness."

"It is an act of respect for the will of the American people, a respect that is every American leader’s first responsibility. ... This election must not be any different."

It seems unlikely that such statements will convince Trump to change his rhetoric.

Returning to the argument that the race is rigged in Clinton's favor, Trump pointed to emails released by WikiLeaks that suggested that Democratic National Committee interim chair Donna Brazile shared a CNN town hall question with the Clinton campaign in advance during the Democratic primaries. Brazile has denied sharing a question with the campaign.

"She should resign," Trump said of Brazile. "How can a woman do that? That is cheating at the highest level."

"But I ask you, why shouldn't Hillary Clinton resign from the race?" he continued. "She was given these questions. She used these questions, studied these questions, got the perfect answer for the questions.

"That is very dishonest," he added. "This is even bigger because we are going for the presidency of the United States."

Trump joked that if it were discovered that he received questions in advance "they would call for the re-establishment of the electric chair."

- Updated at 1:26 p.m.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/302002-trump-jokes-ill-accept-election-results-if-i-win
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Trump: I'll accept election results — if I win
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 06:05:06 pm »
How can you accept the results if you win...yet babble on about them being rigged?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 06:05:51 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 06:21:21 pm »
The crowd went wild.

Of course they did. The Goddamned half-wits.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 06:23:07 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 06:29:42 pm »
Too bad Trump was not prepared to reply simply that he would be just as respectful of the election outcome as the Democrats had been in 2000.  If someone wants to argue that a failure to concede gracefully is damaging to the country, I'll happily agree.  But the democrat party set that precedent, and neither they nor their media allies have any intellectually defensible right now to argue against others following that same precedent.
James 1:20

Wingnut

Trump Snarks: 'I will totally accept' election results 'if I win'
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 09:40:22 pm »
Trump backtracks. 

Delaware, Ohio (CNN)Donald Trump said Thursday he will accept the results of next month's election if he wins, a caveat that threatens to cast unprecedented doubt on the legitimacy of the electoral process.

Trump offered a stunning declaration during the final presidential debate that he might not accept the results of next month's election. In his first speech since the debate, Trump seemed to simultaneously double down on the stance he articulated Wednesday night while also trying to clean it up.
Trump argued forcefully during a rally here that he was being asked to "waive" his right to contest the election after critics slammed him for refusing to pledge to accept the results of the election the previous night during the final presidential debate.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/20/politics/donald-trump-i-will-totally-accept-election-results-if-i-win/

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Trump Snarks: 'I will totally accept' election results 'if I win'
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 09:55:50 pm »
The guy is such a classless ass.

If he gives a concession speech at all you can bet his cult will be in the hall shouting "lock her up, lock her up"....
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 09:56:01 pm »
Too bad Trump was not prepared to reply simply that he would be just as respectful of the election outcome as the Democrats had been in 2000.  If someone wants to argue that a failure to concede gracefully is damaging to the country, I'll happily agree.  But the democrat party set that precedent, and neither they nor their media allies have any intellectually defensible right now to argue against others following that same precedent.

Two wrongs don't make a right.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 09:57:27 pm »
Trump backtracks. 

Delaware, Ohio (CNN)Donald Trump said Thursday he will accept the results of next month's election if he wins, a caveat that threatens to cast unprecedented doubt on the legitimacy of the electoral process.

Trump offered a stunning declaration during the final presidential debate that he might not accept the results of next month's election. In his first speech since the debate, Trump seemed to simultaneously double down on the stance he articulated Wednesday night while also trying to clean it up.
Trump argued forcefully during a rally here that he was being asked to "waive" his right to contest the election after critics slammed him for refusing to pledge to accept the results of the election the previous night during the final presidential debate.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/20/politics/donald-trump-i-will-totally-accept-election-results-if-i-win/

He wasn't being asked to waive his right to contest the results of the election.  That's post hoc rationalization on his part.   

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 10:03:43 pm »
This is someone with Class giving a Concession speech.  McCain made a fine one himself.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I have just called President Obama to congratulate him on his victory. His supporters and his campaign also deserve congratulations.

ROMNEY: His supporters and his campaign also deserve congratulations. I wish all of them well, but particularly the president, the first lady and their daughters.

(APPLAUSE)

This is a time of great challenges for America, and I pray that the president will be successful in guiding our nation.

(APPLAUSE)

ROMNEY: The nation, as you know, is at a critical point. At a time like this, we can’t risk partisan bickering and political posturing. Our leaders have to reach across the aisle to do the people’s work.

And we citizens also have to rise to the occasion. We look to our teachers and professors, we count on you not just to teach, but to inspire our children with a passion for learning and discovery.

We look to our pastors and priests and rabbis and counselors of all kinds to testify of the enduring principles upon which our society is built: honesty, charity, integrity and family.

We look to our parents, for in the final analysis everything depends on the success of our homes.

ROMNEY: We look to job creators of all kinds. We’re counting on you to invest, to hire, to step forward.

And we look to Democrats and Republicans in government at all levels to put the people before the politics.

I believe in America. I believe in the people of America.

////SNIP///

And I ran for office because I’m concerned about America. This election is over, but our principles endure. I believe that the principles upon which this nation was founded are the only sure guide to a resurgent economy and to renewed greatness.

Like so many of you, Paul and I have left everything on the field. We have given our all to this campaign.

(APPLAUSE)

I so wish -- I so wish that I had been able to fulfill your hopes to lead the country in a different direction, but the nation chose another leader. And so Ann and I join with you to earnestly pray for him and for this great nation.

Thank you, and God bless America. You guys are the best. Thank you so much. Thank you. Thanks, guys.

(APPLAUSE)
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 10:08:19 pm »
Trumps concession speech will consist of the following......."I'll sue. I was cheated. The election was rigged"  Not in that particular order.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 10:14:54 pm »
I don't know what he's going to say in his concession speech, but I did find a copy posted right here on TBR posted by one of our members a few months ago of his Inauguration Speech.

"I, Donald Trump do solemnly swear - hey, I do a lot of that, okay? People complain when I call them out, but that's their problem. I'm the one up here and they're down there, am I right, Mr. Chief Justice? You bet your ass. That's right, laugh now, Barack: my first executive order will be to send you on a very important fact-finding mission. Here's a hint: you might want to buy a parka. So where was I, oh, yeah: that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States - and maybe a few foreign leaders, too - kidding, kidding, uh, yeah, maybe.... and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America, and so help me, I'm gonna build that freakin' wall so high that even the Mexican Olympic pole-vaulting team won't be able to get over it, right? So are we done here? Good, thanks. I gotta go talk to the guys I hired to redesign the White House - you're gonna love it, it's gonna be great, the best ever. Laser lights, gold trim all around, and my name up on top in big letters. Classy as shit. But then, what did you expect? Am I right?"   

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 10:16:02 pm »
Of course they did. The Goddamned half-wits.

Pretty generous of you.

Offline Norm Lenhart

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 10:21:14 pm »
Trumps concession speech will consist of the following......."I'll sue. I was cheated. The election was rigged"  Not in that particular order.

You forgot:

"Some people say that the tree of liberty needs watering. I'm not saying that, but some people do. You just can't tell what upset people are gonna do. Crooked Hilary rigged the election. Some people say that too. We just don't know."

Offline MOD3

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 10:32:13 pm »
Merged for your reading pleasure  :laugh:

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 10:56:02 pm »
Al Gore redux
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

geronl

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 11:05:48 pm »
Too bad Trump was not prepared to reply simply that he would be just as respectful of the election outcome as the Democrats had been in 2000. .

He is saying it's not rigged if he wins. lol. He sounds like an idiot

Wingnut

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 11:23:18 pm »
He is saying it's not rigged if he wins. lol. He sounds like an idiot

Trump really is as stupid as he looks.